GS1200 can do everything! So it gives me a trouble!

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by ryan0708, Jan 14, 2013.

1. ryan0708

ryan0708 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello guys,
    I am Ryan from Brazil.
    I was a big duacti freak for long time and I moved to this country two years ago, and it changed many things.
    I love ducatis but I don't like tracks. Road conditions are very poor and the price is crazy high here.
    So, I bought a GS1200 which is my first other brand than ducati.
    Wow, I only had it for three months but I can say this bike is crazy.
    It does beautiful jobs on commute, short curvy roads and long distance.
    It does everything I want, just like my favorite ducati "monster s4rs".
    When I had s4rs, I couldn't keep second bike because it felt like wasting money because monster could do anything whatever this second bike does.
    Right now, GS is giving me same problem. I like to have two totally different bike to enjoy both bikes for long time and get to appreciate both bikes for what they are built for.
    GS is a modern bike with very complicated technology to me. So I want to have a very simple classic bike next to GS.
    I am thinking about Bonneville T100 or Vespa GTV300. They are about same price.
    Both these bikes are classic and simple. But again, GS does pretty much everything they do.
    What would you choose between these two bikes?
  2. hyena

hyena Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wlecome to the forum, Ryan.

I am on my second GS. First one was a 2005. In that time, I have also had two Triumphs. The first was a 2006 T100. The second was a 2007 Scrambler. Both bought used with very low miles. The T100 didn't connect with me, other than it was beautiful. The Scrambler did. The first year I had it, I couldn't get enough of it. Just shorter rides out in the country, blasting around country roads, enjoying the sounds of the TOR's. The second summer...not so much. Apparently it was a quick romance. I sold it. No matter what other bikes I look at, or consider, I keep coming back to the GS as the perfect all around motorcycle. No regrets about the Triumphs. Neither was very expensive, and I got the vast majority of my money back when I told them.
  3. SR1

SR1 We gotta get outta this place!

Oddometer:
    Single cylinder 4-stroke dirt bike. They compliment the GS well. Everything else has some overlap.
  4. ryan0708

ryan0708 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks.
    Good info!
  5. ryan0708

ryan0708 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Haha thanks.
    I am not that into dirts yet though.
  6. AviatorTroy

AviatorTroy Following my front fender

Oddometer:
    Funny I was thinking the other day that a Scrambler would be a great bike to go along with my GS, better for day to day commuting and such.
  7. RetrogradE

RetrogradE Banned

Oddometer:

Bullsh** you bought one. . . if you had, you'd know it's an R1200GS, not a GS1200.
  8. ryan0708

ryan0708 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Alright I will make a correction.
    I got a 2012/2013 R1200GS Triple Black.
  9. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Nice way to welcome a new member.. :rolleyes.

Your bike is still new, why not let the dealer sort it out. What kind of trouble are you having? :ear

If wer're going to talk about other bikes, we'll have to move this thread to a forum related to those bikes..

Welcome to ADV :thumb
  10. ryan0708

ryan0708 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't have any problem with it.
    I just have to wait for another month to get it back because stupid dealer registered my bike as a BMW X1 car by mistake. Documentation came out as a car and I can't have any insurance on it.

Well I was thinking of getting a second bike to ride because I don't have any other transportation. That's it.

Thank you for the welcome!
  11. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    I think he's ready to let a dealer sort it out :D Just asking for advice as to which dealer (brand that is)
  12. ryan0708

ryan0708 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    maybe I should just stay with GS until the moment that I feel like I need another bike.
  13. trc.rhubarb

trc.rhubarb ZoomSplat!

Oddometer:
    Where's the fun in that? :lol3
  14. kellymac530

kellymac530 motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    Hey Jackwagon, you do get that he is from BRAZIL and probably not completely fluent in English. The sentence structure in Portugese is different, and likely that is all the reason for the GS1200 instead of the R1200GS...

Welcome to the site Ryan. I am happy for you and your new bike. I am sure you will love it.

If I was not into dirt bikes, I think the GS or GSA is all I would need. But what I would do if I really wanted a second bike, is ride teh GS as much as possible, then look for what you don't like to do on it and then fill that gap with something that does fill it.

How about just a cool little Vespa Piaggio P150 or something fun in the city and easy to park, cheap to operate?

:wink:
  15. ryan0708

ryan0708 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your welcome and advice.
    Let him say whatever he wants to say. I don't mind.
  16. everycredit

everycredit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If your problem is a second bike, get something that's rather inexpensive (compared to the GS), fun, and good looking. I'm looking to buy a Moto Guzzi V7. Although I can go around town just fine on the GS, I think the MG would be more fun and the thing is beautiful. My GS is uglier than shit.
  17. ryan0708

ryan0708 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah GS is very ugly but it is nicely ugly.
    Unfortunately there is no moto guzzi here. If I was in US, I would get ducati sport classic which we don't have either.
  18. everycredit

everycredit Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Of course it's nicely ugly. It's as pretty as concrete, but functional as concrete as well. :)

I'm sad to hear there is no Moto Guzzi in Brasil. Perhaps this might be a good business opportunity to import and sell them? :)
  19. lukeinlondon

lukeinlondon LC GSA/Helix

Oddometer:
    Hey Ryan, I myself would say have a scooter as a second 'bike' The ease of no clutch jumping on and off and being in cruise mode the whole time for me is alway enjoyable!
  20. kellymac530

kellymac530 motorcycle addict

Oddometer:
    Ryan,
    I was probably harsh on Retro myself. I can not totally blame him for being doubtful. With a couple of hundred thousand members, there are alot of people that are full of bologna. Some come on here just to flame and brand bash.

You say you just moved to Brazil {Brasil there}, where did you move from?
    I am gonna laugh if you say southern California....:rofl

Still +1 on some kind of scooter...they just scream MAN!!! Confidant man.:lol3