Importing costs: Sidi Adventure Gore Tex to US

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by a.c.s., Jul 8, 2011.

1. douglasgraham

douglasgraham This is my car

Oddometer:
    Ive got the version without the gore and my feet have never been wet. They are 100% water proof. The boots have been tested with a lot of rain rides, creek crossings and snow. Explain to me how gore tex works with leather anyway:deal I see how it works with a textile but leather?
  2. mrt10x

mrt10x Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer:
    your experience, unfortunately, is not consitent with others who have posted in other threads. They reported wet feet from extended wet weather riding. What dont you understand about goretex and leather? Leather is a breathable material just like textile, it has pores that allow moisture transfer in both directions..just like textile.. the goretex blocks that transmition in one direction,, just like it does in textile. Do you think that leather is nonporous?
  3. douglasgraham

Oddometer:
    I think you meant to say fortunately for you your feet dont get wet. Its the guy with wet feet that is the unfortunate one! Yes I do think leather for the most part is nonporous. Thats why my boots are waterproof! I use "Snoseal" and melt it in with a hair dryer. I put in over 20000 miles last year and a lot of extended rain and Ive never had wet feet. I guess if your just pulling them out of the box and wearing without any prep then maybe they would leak but again Ive never had wet feet and yes leather breaths but not at the same rate as textile.......not even close.
  4. catalina38

catalina38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The wasted money isn't on the Gore-tex. It is the fees,taxes and tariffs,import duty etc that cause them to cost so much more.
  5. douglasgraham

Oddometer:
    Yes yes I know. But even if you wanted to have them shipped over seas and pay all the fees when you can buy them here my point was.
    <style>@font-face { font-family: "Times"; }@font-face { font-family: "Cambria"; }p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }p.pcshowproductprice, li.pcshowproductprice, div.pcshowproductprice { margin: 0in 0in 0.0001pt; font-size: 10pt; font-family: "Times New Roman"; }div.Section1 { page: Section1; }</style> Adventure Gore-Tex Retail Price $650.00
    Adventure without the Gore-Tex Retail Price $400.00

Looks like about 250 to me.
  6. rritterson

rritterson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ordered from fc-moto on 10/7. Insisted on DHL shipping after reading this thread and paid $362. Boots arrived today, no customs duties or taxes to pay. My credit card did charge me a currency conversion fee, but it was only about $8, much less than the $300 I'd have to pay to buy the boots state side.
  7. catalina38

catalina38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're right, it isn't worth $250 more for the Gore-tex version when you can buy it from overseas for less than the US Rain version.
  8. hardroadking

hardroadking Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bravo 'rriterson'.

I plan to do the exact same thing as you did. Get the Goretex from Germany at a price cheaper than the Non-goretex locally by specifying ship DHL. The only thing I need to do before ordering is figuring out my size. No dealers locally stock the Goretex or non goretex boot. Once I have a chance to try one of them on to determine my size, I'll be contacting Germany the next day. Even at $340 for the Goretex, it's still to much money to not be 100% certain that I am ordering the correct size.

In my mind, this should take care of any future discussion that has taken place on this page regardless of your opinion of gortex, leather, customs and taxes. The Final Word...I hope:clap
  9. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo

Oddometer:
    I've got the US version and they have not let water in, albeit in limited wet weather testing. I am totally happy with them.

That being said, I would absolutely get the GoreTex version if it was the same price or less than say $50 more. GoreTex is a known quantity and you can have leather instead of Lorica. It may not actually perform better, but I would be more comfortable getting products I know. When I bought mine, ordering from Europe was still barely tested. But if I was going to do it again today, I would be comfortable buy the GT version from Europe - especially since now the price is basically a wash.
  10. rritterson

rritterson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ordered a 46, which is marked as a USA 11.5. I found it good for my narrow feet, but still a bit long for my normal size 12 USA. The toe box is a little roomy, but my heels don't slip, so it's fine. The buckles have a lot of adjustment, and I was able to get them to fit just right. If you know your normal european size, I would guess you could get that and find a buckle setting that would make you happy, just in case you can't find one to try on around here.
  11. HalB

HalB Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'd like to hear from folks who have been wearing the Sidi Adventure boot. I have been trying it on and like the feel. however, when I sat on the bike, the sole felt so stiff, it was difficult to upshift. . It feels as though I need a full foot under the shifter, rather than just the toes. I do sport touring kind of riding where I need quick upshifts. the hope is that the boot should soften over time with the toe flexion. does this happen? What's your experience?

thanks
  12. smr238

smr238 Sam

Oddometer:
    shipped from uk. 34 us due upon delevery.
  13. outsidein

outsidein Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The regular version of the boot sold in North America has a breathable waterproof liner (Gortex knockoff) and is identical otherwise to the GoreTex version. It costs 50% less. IMO the very small difference in breath ability is simply not worth doubling the price.
  14. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo

Oddometer:
    That's not quite true. The Euro version uses Leather, rather than Lorica.

While I agree that it isn't worth the extra money to buy the NA GoreTex version because of the cost ($600+), the people who have imported the Euro version are now getting it for little to no premium over the US version. I am totally happy with my US version. But if I was going to buy again today, I would import the Euro version if it was only going to cost $50-75 more. Enough people have done it now, problem free, that I think importing them is becoming a known quantity.

Not sure who is actually paying the $600+ for the US GoreTex version.
  15. Longboardr

Longboardr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just got my Adventures from www.fc-moto.de today. Ordered them on 1/1/12, had them shipped DHL, USPS brought them to my door. The Gore-Tex version was $350.14 OTD. No duty charges. A big thanks to those who shared their experiences before me :clap
  16. captwheel

captwheel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Has anyone else had trouble with buying from FC-Moto? I have been trying to buy the Sidi Gore Tex from there but every time I fill out the credit card info (two different cards) I get a message that the institution rejected it. Called the credit card they say that they have not even seen a request for the charge? I called FC-Moto they had no reason for it, & would not let me do a phone order?
    Any ideas out there?
    Thanks, Phil
  17. sailah

sailah Lampin' it

Oddometer:
    Had the same issue when I tried to use paypal said the address did not match. It does so I have no idea.
  18. srensen

srensen n00b

Oddometer:
    I just ordered some stuff from fc-moto, and twice the transaction got cancelled on my Mastercard. Shift to VISA and transaction went through. 10 minutes later the Mastercard credit card anti fraud office called, and wanted to check, if I had tried to complete a transaction with fs-moto. If yes, they'd clear the transaction...
  19. captwheel

captwheel Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I was able to place my order yesterday with FC-Moto. I think my problem is that I am in Brazil. Called home & had my cousin use my credit card (that did not work for me) on her computer with a US IP address, & it went through fine.
    Can not wait to try my new Sisi Adventure Gore-Tex boots:clap:clap.
    Phil
  20. wonky

wonky TETETETETETETETET

Oddometer:
    Can anybody please give me the 'harmonized commodity code' from the commercial invoice that was included with your boots. The company you buy from will have chosen a code for your goods. This could shed a lot of light on what you would expect to pay.

You can find out the codes for the US here

http://hts.usitc.gov/

DHL tend to deliver first and then invoice after so you may still get a bill upto a month after delivery.

We ship a lot of goods to the US and usually use the Harmonized Commodity Code 87141900 which is for 'Parts and Accessories of Motorcycles' which has an import duty rate of 0%. It is highly unlikely that customs will reclassify the goods. If I were to correctly classify them (its all open to your own interpretation) i would probably use 6402.19.90.30 which is 'Sports Footwear/Other/over $12'. This has a duty rate of 9% on the invoice total (ie goods plus shipping charge)

DHL have their own inhouse customs clearance people, ie goods dont go to seperate US Customs Agency premises, DHL are licensed to clear goods and collect on behalf of the government, so they tend to dig into the paperwork even less.

We dont currently sell the Sidi Adventures but will probably start soon...

People have correctly mentioned that you should not be paying the VAT on goods purchased in the EU unless the company you buy them from is not registered for VAT (highly unlikely)

Hope this helps a little!