2012 KTM 350 freeride

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Bikeaddict, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Millhaus

Millhaus Millhaus

Oddometer:
    The comment about N.Cal and 5% freeride terrain may be true, however, in SW Alberta, there is a ton of terrain that is perfect for a lighter bike with single track prowess. The freeride looks like it is intended to enjoy and jib your way down single track. If your thrill is going mock speeds and holding on, maybe it's not the best choice. As for me, I hope it is street legal and it will turn into my ultimate single track assault machine.

A side note, I still ride a 525 exc street legal bike and despite having a few maintenance issues, it has never been unreliable in its incredible 19000 kms. I have been on rides with all brands and really, preventative maintenance often dictates reliability.
  2. OneEffinName

OneEffinName Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just don't expect the freeride to last like DR. The reason the freeride is so light is because of tight tolerances and slimming the metal down to its minimal amounts. The DR is a freakin tank, it will last longer. Even if its rode hard, put away wet and oil never changed.

OK, boys let the flamin begin. :evil

HEY BUT WAIT! Before you think I am anti orange - take a look at my ride...
  3. shearboy2004

shearboy2004 KIWIINUSA Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sherco X Ride and Scorpa T Ride same bike different badge the Sherco will be here in the States mid 2013. If you are looking for very light reliable stuff ?

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Gyl7KyaBG6c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  4. jesusgatos

jesusgatos fishing with dynamite

Oddometer:
    That's like saying our EXC's aren't as reliable as something like the old DR's / XR's, but I haven't found that to be the case. My current 450 has about 9000 miles on it right now - mostly dualsport and highway miles, but it's raced a few national enduros and Vegas to Reno. My brother's last 450 had about 350 hours of hard riding on it when he sold it. We've had a bunch of these bikes and none of them have ever required anything more than oil changes and valve checks (rarely even needing adjustment). Sure they're high-performance race bikes, but I don't see why we shouldn't be about to get 20,000+ miles out of these EXC's without any major failures. So with a de-tuned 350, I don't really see much to worry about reliability-wise.
  5. milzispete

milzispete is it supposed to look like that?

Oddometer:
    Ah now you are into a proper discussion. I would think this is a better comparison than the DR. I've had my Freeride for about 4 months now and love it. There was talk of the Sherco and Ossa Explorer which both look better on paper but they weren't available when I ordered the Freeride back in May 2012.

If they had been I really don't know which one I would have chosen. Both look awesome as does the Freeride E.
    As it stands I would have to say the Freeride 350 wins as the music in the advert is way cooler.

Anyone who's giving a definitive opinion based on any more than a spec sheet and which advert is the best is frankly full of shit.
    If i'm wrong then kindly point us all to the back to back test and I go back in my cage :freaky
  6. Millhaus

Millhaus Millhaus

Oddometer:
    My nod went to the Freeride once I saw it compete in the Romaniacs. I see that one of the course planners with Martin for this years event is also scouting on one. The DR is a different tool or weapon if you are into sledge hammers.
  7. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    Talking about CA, what is the terrain like in the LA area, and where can one publicly ride offroad there? Angeles National Forest or Simi Valley area?
  8. Duke78

Duke78 Freude am Fahren

Oddometer:
    Anybody with a long-term review? Just curious :thumb
  9. OneEffinName

OneEffinName Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check out KTMTalk - there is a thread by MexMex on the FR350. He rode it in the Romainiacs and does a lot of riding in Mexico. Basically the suspension and brakes are weak, but the light weight is nice.
  10. Duke78

Duke78 Freude am Fahren

Oddometer:
    Cheers! will do
  11. mknauer

mknauer neighbor

Oddometer:
    How could you not like a bike like this for fun riding in the woods? The breaks are the same as any KTM. The suspension is WP. Beef it up if you need. I only wish they were available in the States for 2013. Maybe next year.
  12. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great video, thanks for posting! I can't seem to find "back flippable" on my list of requirements.:lol3

I would love to own one of those but wonder if the size of the dealer network would be a problem.:deal
  13. Don T

Don T Roaming Viking

Oddometer:
    The brakes are not the same as other KTM's - it the first time they use that brand on one of their bikes.
  14. Max Kool

Max Kool Xtankteam™

Oddometer:
    I may have missed part of this thread, but are there already plan to import this bike in California?
  15. STANIMAL

STANIMAL SUPPORT THE SECOND

Oddometer:
    No plan of importing it into the US as of yet .
  16. kkim

kkim Adventurer

Oddometer:
    possibly...
  17. STANIMAL

STANIMAL SUPPORT THE SECOND

Oddometer:
    Nice . Now I will have to look into it .
  18. jerdog53

jerdog53 Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer:
    Some thing to plan for! :clap
  19. jesusgatos

jesusgatos fishing with dynamite

Oddometer:
    ^^^^^
  20. One67

One67 Tell 'em the captain sent ya.

Oddometer:
    I just read an oz dirt bike mag review that said KTM were having a hard time keeping up with freeride orders in their current market countries, I guess it's difficult to know what sort of response the market will have to a new style of bike.

The original shipment of 2013 model freerides to Australia last september was only 20 bikes and they were pre-sold before they got here.

If you guys in the states don't get the 2013 model, the good news is that KTM get their following year bikes out pretty early, so you'll get 2014 bikes in september (although that seems like an eternity when waiting for a new bike).
    Here's a goood write up from Dirt Action Magazine in Oz.

http://dirtaction.com.au/2013-ktm-freeride/