Car Thread:Projects or your DD, post it up!

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by Brendon@TMS, Nov 1, 2012.

1. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:

Use of the word Windows on an apple or linux system makes the OS cough. :1drink

It'll get over it.

It'll get over it.
  2. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it?

Oddometer:
    Anyone know if Windows 98 can be installed on one of those inexpensive external USB-plug-in hard drives & then work on newer ‘puters? How many gigs it would take? I don’t know why it wouldn’t work but WTF do I know about that stuff.
    If so .... :evil
  3. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Don't think so. I haven't been able to make that work anyway and I've tried by putting entire comp backups on a 500g pocket drive and then accessing files by plugging in to a different machine. I think it's the two OS'es that foul access. I'm not a comp geek though so am not the right guy to actually know. Only the guy to have actually tried.
  4. FlyRescue

FlyRescue Support S&R, Get lost!

Oddometer:
  5. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it?

Oddometer:
    Well, that’s not what I wanted to hear! :ddog :wink:
    Just to make sure we are on the same page, or ‘window’ as the case may be. I am talking about loading Win 98 into an external HD then putting a Win 98 compatible program into that Win 98 system. Is that what you mean, or just that the older program would not work on a newer ‘puter?

Fly, WTH is this “accessibility mode” &/or where do I find it?
    I once tried to install an older A-CAD program on this Win 7 ‘puter thinking if anything I could then run it in ‘compatibility mode’. Win 7 wouldn’t even let the program install.
  6. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it?

Oddometer:
    Ok, now I remember. This damn Win 7 is a 64 bit Operating System, (WTF ever that means), & my program is made for a 32 bit OS. I’m probably screwed. :baldy
  7. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    I really don't know what is being said Iam a mechanic not a computer tech.
  8. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Correct. I've tried to get that to work and haven't been able to.

Correct. You're probably screwed is my take. I've tried it before with the 500gig Western drives that will fit in a shirt pocket. Backed up entire systems thinking I'd be able to access files later but the multiple operating systems apparently conflict and I couldn't access squat. Still have two drives on my desk that have backups of long since reformatted old computers but I haven't put enough time into finding a work around. Whatever's on those things probably wasn't important anyway so it's not getting much of a prio.

That's a cool little computer with no interface of it's own. No screen. No keyboard. No nothing. It's something you'd have to plug into another device and from that device you'd be able to access the computer functions.

Think of it as memory and a very small processor... but that's it. Depending on what version of it you bought you'd be able to plug it in and it would pirate the input controls of your host device (like plug it into your phone, etc.) so that you could get that little thumb drive looking computer to actually do something.
  9. FlyRescue

Oddometer:
    Ok guys, I haven't been on ADV in a while. But now that it's winter, what kind of 4 wheel creations did you get into in the past year?

I'll go first-

First, in August I got married, in Vermont. I'm moving back east in the spring of 2016 and wanted to find a heavy truck to do it with. Found this beauty for a song back home (literally back home, my dad sold it to me), and four days after I got married my new wife and I drove it 4500 miles back to Alaska.
    [​IMG]

Then, a friend of mine was looking for a new rig and I found him a 1970 Ford Econoline on CL for $700. Through some power of persuasion, he bought it.
    [​IMG]

That damn thing is so cool, I decided I need one too. Too bad they were somewhat rare. Cruising the Econoline forums I see a familiar name. Shit, if we don't all know the mid Ford van oracle himself.

Yes, Tom S. had no trouble feeding my addiction and hooking me up with a sweety of a 1974 Econoline.
    [​IMG]

Now between my friend and I, we have two suspicious rape vans. Except his was a daily driver, and mine needed a motor. It made no oil pressure, liked to overheat, and upon further inspection had 22 pounds of black chewing gum (or something similar) packed around the valves. So we threw a 5.0 H.O motor out of a Ford Thunderbird in it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I got the van running again after spending way too much fun down at SEMA this fall, and am 90% done with the drivetrain. But then it got cold in my outside shop and my ADD kicked in. Here's the van as it sits today:
    [​IMG]

So after SEMA, my head was full of horsepower and grandeur. My wife was lamenting how utterly horrible her Jeep WK Grand Cherokee was, and had an eye on my Audi. I trolled CL for a while and found something perfect to satiate my automotive masochism. I picked up this 2004 Volvo S60R for a real sweetheart of a deal, and have been playing with it for the last few weeks.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What's everyone else been doing in the cold? :evil
  10. Brendon@TMS

Brendon@TMS The Motorcycle Shop

Oddometer:
    Yay Volvo!

Winter Mode
    [​IMG]
  11. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it?

Oddometer:
    At the very least your Vulva wagon needs some nice wheels.

[​IMG]

:lol3
  12. FlyRescue

Oddometer:
    Little E28 action behind ya there?
  13. Tom S

Tom S Can I ride it?

Oddometer:
    Still waiting for a reply to my emails. :ddog WTF?
    You don't want to be as bad about this as Fighter, (and another inmate :patch), do ya? :lol3
  14. FlyRescue

Oddometer:
    fixed
  15. OverlandOdyssey

OverlandOdyssey @Just_Rich_Young

Oddometer:
    Just got rid of the '07 Wrangler on 35's that got 10mpg and got this instead. 35mpg's on the way home, plus it's fun to drive.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Researching how to get about 2" of lift with some AT's and skid plates. Then roof rack and LED's.
  16. FlyRescue

Oddometer:
    So....this?

[​IMG]
  17. f650624

f650624 Snowbird

Oddometer:
    I still have my first car.

Attached Files:

18. KHud

KHud Survivor

Oddometer:
    That is not fair Gary.

Can I borrow it to take Annie on a date?
  19. dapman

dapman Graphics Guru

Oddometer:
    If you got it at 16, that would put you around 95 years old... Liar you're not that young!:lol3
  20. f650624

f650624 Snowbird

Oddometer:
    Kevin, you'll have to come here though. It's a 1930 Model A Town Sedan bought for $20.00 in 1963. I was 14. And it didn't look like that in 1963.

Attached Files: