Elka Suspension Group Buy - Get Some!

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Gangplank, Mar 27, 2012.

1. tomatoe333

tomatoe333 Long timer

Oddometer:
    You'll probably have to bite the bullet and pull the tank to get the ABS unit and plumbing out, so no problems getting the shock in at the same time.
  2. tomatoe333

tomatoe333 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Took a test ride yesterday on some power lines and snowmobile trails not too far from me. GF helped me adjust the preload, had to go in about 5.5 turns on the adjuster to get it correct, but there's plenty of adjustment left for luggage weight.

The shock is pretty darned amazing! If anything, the back end is better than the front now with the YZ forks. Soaks up the rocks like you would not believe!
  3. Gangplank

Gangplank Advenchaintourer

Oddometer:
    I was sort of figuring that would be the case... works ok for me since I also picked up an EU tank from a guy in Spain :wink: dumping the charcoal canister and getting +1.5L extra fuel. On this bike that's an extra 25 miles or maybe more. :D

Great to hear. I can't wait take mine for a test ride.... soon....
  4. Gangplank

Oddometer:
    So did ya need to use a Moto jack to get eight off the swingarm or just raise the rear?

Posted mobile on Tapatalk
  5. tomatoe333

tomatoe333 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure I understand the question, but I've got a centerstand supporting the bike. Rear tire was just off the ground. I took the nut off of the big long bolt through the suspension links, and lifted the tire/swingarm with one hand while pulling the bolt out. Once the bolt is out, the tire/swingarm rests on the ground, and the links can be swung out of the way of the lower shock bolt.

If you haven't already, plan on replacing the long bolt with a stronger replacement. I think I used a grade 12.9 bolt from McMaster-carr when I replaced it a couple of years ago. The stock bolt has a habit of bending and/or breaking in rough usage.
  6. Gangplank

Oddometer:
    Gotcha. That makes sense. Soon as I get the Dakar centerstand on that'll work.
  7. Gangplank

Oddometer:
    Ordered a couple more today. Group buy is alive and well.

Anyone else interested in a shock?
  8. Gangplank

Oddometer:
    Oh and I got my front end together. :freaky

[​IMG]

Hoping to get the shock installed and have the bike on the road soon. :D
  9. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    You don't know how much I've been looking forward to this rear shock, Gangplank. I know some people rave about the air shock on the back of the HP2 but I think it's complete crap and hate it.

I'd been batting around the idea of going w/ the guys that have the yellow spring... then the guys that have the blue spring, etc. When I heard that the Elka shock had a reputation for being a little more robust than several of the others it meant my bike would have a red spring for sure.

Looking forward to receiving it and congrats on getting your bike back together. :thumb
  10. Gangplank

Oddometer:
    Thanks man. I have a trackday this weekend but the next weekend is the centerstand and shock unless I get to it before that. Then the bike is roadworthy!!! :D
  11. Gangplank

Oddometer:
    Anyone else interested? The Elka spring sale is still going on so they are still on the best price e can get. :D
  12. jscottyk

jscottyk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    sturgeon, are the installation instructions you refer to specific to the F800GS or the more general 'Motorcycle Series Owners Manual'. I don't think I received anything specific to the F800GS. Not a big deal really. Installing a shock is pretty straight forward stuff but am I curious if you US based riders are removing carbon canister to make room for the remote reservoir?
  13. jscottyk

Oddometer:
    Another question for you F800GS users, did your setup come with the bracket that mounts the the remote preload adjuster to the remote reservoir? As shown in these two pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mine did not. I need to get one of those. Very nice way to mount it. I've looked at the Elka website but don't see any such bracket for sale.

Josh, can you point me to a rep at Elka?
  14. epicxcrider

epicxcrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mine came with a bracket to mount it to the rear brake resi mount. Works okay, seems protected enough with bags on. I don't think there would be enough room to mount it to the shock resi the way mine is placed.

I removed my charcoal canister and relocated the brake resi there.
  15. jscottyk

Oddometer:
    Hmm... I did not receive that bracket either. epicxcrider, did your come with the F800GS specific setup documentation?
  16. Gangplank

Oddometer:
    That bracket pictured is for the F650 Dakar I believe. Not sure.

If you ordered the F800GS model and it did not come with a bracket or instructions you can call the factory direct at tel: (800) 557-0552 and get support. I'll contact the rep today and see what he says it should come with for that model.

And remove the charcoal canister. It isn't hard and doesn't do much of anything.

Posted mobile on Tapatalk
  17. jscottyk

Oddometer:
    Right on. Will do.

Charcoal canister is history!
  18. kiltedcrawford

kiltedcrawford Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just to add to the knowledge base, since it's fresh in my memory........
    Background: I've got a 2002 F650GS that was converted to a Dakar by a PO. I bought it a year ago and it's my first bike since I was a pre-teen, 25+ years ago. I ordered my shock on May 6 and received it this morning, May 31.

As far as removal of the old shock and installation of the new, Elka gives pretty good instructions, much like BMW recommends, which involves removing the fuel tank, electrical connections, etc. But, I paid attention to what tomatoe333 posted and took off the following, in detail for noobs like me:
    Rear plastics
    License plate bracket
    Exhaust cans
    Rear brake reservoir
    ECU
    Lower subframe bolts
    Upper subframe bolts LOOSENED ONLY

My main obstacle was removing the exhaust, which apparently hadn't been done in quite some time.

This was all done on the centerstand and, once everything was removed, I connected a ratchet strap from the handlebars to the rear subframe to raise it enough to get to the top of the shock. There's not a lot of room to work at the top of the shock, but enough to get the job done.

Installation of the Elka was pretty straightforward. The shock itself uses stock hardware, and the instructions for installing the remote reservoir and preload adjustment are spot on and the mounting bracket uses the stock bolts. Everything needed is included or you've already got.

As far as how it works, I've only ridden it around my back pasture and a few miles into and around town. The difference is noticeable, in a good way, and the bike sits a bit higher. I plan to hit some offroad tomorrow and give it a further test.

Hope this helps. I've got a few pics if needed.

Thanks Josh, good stuff.
  19. Gangplank

Oddometer:
    Nice!! I'm planning to install mine next week.
  20. jscottyk

Oddometer:
    Reporting back on this one, I emailed back and forth with Elka and have some answers.

Here is a link to the F800GS install instructions. You can see the bracket for the preload adjuster in this snippet.

[​IMG]