Stupid questions people ask you when stopped

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by cold_fire, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Jim Moore

Jim Moore Long timer

Oddometer:
    Some of the responses are funny. Some of the stories are interesting. What I don't get is people who think it's funny to act like a dick to a total stranger, especially one who shows an interest in motorcycles. I am always happy talk to someone about bikes.
  2. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    I think some of the responses to so-called "stupid questions" sound like we're jerks because we're responding to how the question is asked of us.

"What type of bike is that?" is an innocuous question, and usually answered politely.

"What type of fucking bike is that?" asked by a burly gay Harley-Davidson rider carries an entirely different context, and deserves whatever level of smartassness we can generate.

I get a lot of uninformed questions, but rarely do I get stupid questions. And an uninformed question is actually the reason questions were invented: to find out something. I have no problem with most questions.

And, of course, I can never remember the really snarky responses while I'm standing there. I'm usually 10 miles down the road when I think, "Oh, I should have said ___________." :D
  3. SilkMoneyLove

SilkMoneyLove Long timer

Oddometer:

Get out of here with your reasonableness!

:-)

I actually have to remind myself not to bore regular people as I could talk bikes all day.
  4. Benesesso

Benesesso Long timer

Oddometer:
    DIBS on this one! Ask away, but first, where are you--and send some selfies. :1drink
  5. KX50002

KX50002 NooB, my ass

Oddometer:
    It also matters how you say it, this comment is completely different said with an air of condescension or a lighthearted laugh.

"It's not that I don't mind, so much as... being a KLR owner I'm too cheap to buy a car.":eek1:lol3
  6. Krzycha

Krzycha Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My first season riding (I was on a ZX9-R - maybe a little much for a first bike). I rode Toronto to Chattanooga (one day) to work in Chattanooga for a week and take week vacation with riding friends in ATL. The end of that 1400km trip from Toronto, within sight of my hotel I lowsided on an offramp. No major damage, was able to ride the bike, though it was scuffed and had a broken turn signal. I bruised my ribs, was wearing full gear, a Spyke leather suit that zips together, boots etc. Gear protected me 100% in the fall.
    The following day I'm leaving the plant to get lunch and throw my jacket, gloves and helmet on. Couple random guys in the parking lot ask me - why are you wearing that - it's hot. I say "it's safe". The one dude proceeds to tell me how his buddy fell off his bike and his leather jacket disintegrated and didn't protect his friend and how it's useless. I didn't bother explaining the difference between some random leather and CE certified, top grain, triple stitched jacket (which I wear to this day, it's 13 years old) and the fact that I just crash tested the said jacket less than 24 hours ago, I just rode away.
  7. slide

slide A nation with a future

Oddometer:
    Anywhere, but preface your question(s) with some background so folks know what level float an appropriate response.

If you feel shy, pick a likely inmate and send a PM (private message).
  8. shakeybone

shakeybone Long timer

Oddometer:
    A friend has some Big Dog Harley powered thing that looks like something OCC would build and he has a bad back. He can ride about 50 mi before he has to take a break.:huh
    We don't ride together.
  9. WDG

WDG …Not entirely domesticated

Oddometer:
    True... I'd rather wrench on a buddy's bike that screw up my own. :evil
  10. ElJefeATX

ElJefeATX Morally correct

Oddometer:
    Said with a smile and made the guy laugh, dipshit.

Reminds me of another old saw: don't ASSume... It makes you an asshole.

Or something like that.
  11. r60man

r60man Long timer

Oddometer:
    The one that gets me, "Aren't you hot wearing all that gear?" Then I have to explain to them the wonders of mesh gear, and vented helmets and when the sun isn't beating on your flesh you are actually cooler.

Sure sometimes it is hot, but when your moving it is better than being in a car anytime.
  12. scottrnelson

scottrnelson Mr. Dual Sport Rider

Oddometer:
    The answer to the first question is supposed to be something like "Yeah, that's what my wife says."

Once the temperature gets above 100 degrees, even moving is not better than being in a car with a good air conditioner. That's why I always head to higher elevations to ride on hot days and try to get it done in the morning before the temperature gets up there.
  13. KX50002

KX50002 NooB, my ass

Oddometer:
    It's almost always cooler, and "cooler" following water.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2
  14. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    That didn't make a bit of sense to me.

And why do we all need to know what phone you posted from, or even that you posted from a phone? All of you who have that at the end of your messages are annoying.
  15. pretbek

pretbek Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you need to take a ride at higher elevations.
    That signature is the default in Tapatalk on phones. One needs to dig through menus and then actively change or disable it to make that sig line disappear.
    It's the current day's blinking 12:00 on the VCR.
  16. scottrnelson

Oddometer:
    Ahhh. So it's a subtle way to indicate how clueless the poster is. Got it. :lol3
  17. PFFOG

PFFOG Richard Alps-aholic Supporter

Oddometer:
    Western NY, further from NYC than 6 entire states
    Or to annoy people, that get annoyed by such trivial things.

This message brought to you by WGAF :deal
  18. JGNC

JGNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    I stopped for an early lunch at a chain burger joint. I was their first and only customer so far and the only vehicle in the parking lot. The girl taking my order looked at my helmet and asks, "Is that your motorcycle over there? The really blue one?".

The really stupid part was my reaction. I turned and looked out the window with a puzzled look on my face to see if there was a motorcycle outside that I didn't see. Turns out she was just wanting to tell me that she thinks my bike is "really pretty".

Sent via Droid Maxx
  19. JGNC

JGNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is this better? :D

12:00
  20. 510ebl

510ebl Restless...

Oddometer:

[​IMG]