Rookie wanna-be weldor starting to make some cool things!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kirkster70, Oct 3, 2010.

1. 100mpg

100mpg Self Imposed Exile

Oddometer:
  2. 100mpg

Oddometer:
    :happay

Yep, slightly more happy then a 53 year old guy should be but hey, it works for me...

I can weld. I took the 1/8 pieces and sanded them down with 80 grit sand paper. Propped them up on a cement block that has a raised section to line up another cement block on top and use that as a form. What form, you ask? angled. :D

Using the 1/8 and sanding it to get down to bare metal (shiny metal at least) did the trick. It is not perfect but allowed me to finally get a decent feel for how welding is supposed to work! It was dark again, I was sitting on a COLD concrete block all twisted up with my breath fogging my glasses and shield but I got it.
    In order of welding. Number 2 is the opposite side of 1. It is a weld on two separate pieces and looks flat at one point in the weld. the raised sections are were I went over to fix some holes.
    One
    [​IMG]
    Two
    [​IMG]
    Three
    [​IMG]
  3. kirkster70

kirkster70 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thanks! I don't know a thing about ackerman angles, but I will read up before getting started. Half the fun is figuring out things you've never done before. Thanks for another good tip in the right direction!
  4. kirkster70

Oddometer:
    Thanks, lousot! My girl and I were getting pretty excited about the idea. My son wants a 2-wheeled version, and it will probably lead to making one big enough for myself. Ha Ha! :lol3
  5. kirkster70

Oddometer:
    Alright!!!!! Buddy, you are dedicated! Once the weather warms up, you'll be tearing it up!!!

have all the project ideas started filtering into your mind yet? That's next...endless possibilities! :clap
  6. kirkster70

Oddometer:
    That's a good idea. I need to make a side-by-side for momma and I.

This first one needs to be simple, low, lean, and mean. If my girl likes it and isn't embarrassed to be on it in public (teenager) it's use will be as functional as it is fun. She has problems with her legs and has a hard time when we go places.

The motor and battery will be the heaviest parts, but I want to make it as bicycle-like as I possibly can.

If it gets used like I'm hoping, she can use it indoors or out, and I will also fabricate a carrier that slides into a 2" receiver hitch to take it places.

If she doesn't like it, the other two kiddos will still have fun on it at home.
  7. 100mpg

Oddometer:
    I heated the metal on the floor of my truck while setting up the welder at the work yard (ssssshhhh!)
    it went very smooth and easy. I think I need 3/32 rod instead of the 1/8 easy strike. The rod disapears like I was welding with a candle.
    Here is what I made. I think I created a "Whatsamacallit". :lol3 Just noticed on the second image...that is the back of the weld, I didn't do both sides it was too dark. looks like good penetration? That side was not welded.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. changingground

changingground Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you haven't found him yet, you might look at Brad's site, Atomic Zombie. He has made his own world from hacking up bikes and, uh, reconfiguring them: http://www.atomiczombie.com . He probably has some info in Ackerman steering, as he has developed several Tadpole trike plans.

Great project, btw. I've really enjoyed following along.
  9. kirkster70

Oddometer:
    I won't tell a soul! :lol3

Looking better with every post! Keep going. You will get better and better. Now you need to think of a small scale project to tackle.
  10. kirkster70

Oddometer:
    Thank you very much, changingground!

I'll check that out tonight. I've unwittingly stumbled onto a HUGE segment of people into electric bikes. TONS of info out there in cyberspace. I watched a guy last night on yt with an electric reverse trike who was carving up a back road at 50 mph!!!! Suh-weet!
  11. kirkster70

Oddometer:
    More from this afternoon...

[​IMG]

I picked up a rubber horse stall mat (40 bucks) from Tractor Supply going in to work yesterday. If my neighbors were watching when I got home this morning, they'd swear I was dragging a dead body into the garage. It's heavy! :lol3 It's 3/4" thick x 4' x 6'. I'm using this to close in the air gaps in the bottom of the cab. This is a really nice mat, and I can see myself going back for a couple more for garage duty.

[​IMG]

I'm using it to fill this void ^.

[​IMG]

More craft time with masking paper. I get it close by measuring, then do some more tracing with a crayon to fine-tune the shape.

[​IMG]

Trimmed up as best as I could get it. This is a huge time saver and it keeps from wasting materials. It will be transferred to the rubber mat, and the mat will be secured to the inner frame flange with 1/4" hardware.

[​IMG]

Now I need to make a pattern for here...

[​IMG]

...and here. I have just enough room to slip behind the filler neck. I'm going to attempt to make the rubber all in one piece. Getting ready to leave for work in a bit, so there may be more to see in a day or so. Until then!
  12. 100mpg

Oddometer:
    Thanks!
    Yeah, I need a smaller project then a boat. I am sure I will think of something...
  13. ATB

ATB Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great job! It all looks superb! I do have one question for you though. I've looked at the pictures of the frame repair and it appears that the radiator is located between the engine and the dash, which is common on many tractors. What I can't determine from the pictures is how the air flows through the radiator. Some of the tractors I've seen have the air flowing through a screen under the dash forward through the radiator and exiting around the engine cowling in the front. Will there be any air flow issues for the cooling system with your set up? I think I've looked through all the build up, maybe I've missed this discussion, if so, sorry my bad.

Alan
  14. kirkster70

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Alan!

[​IMG]

This is the best shot I could find showing the relationship of the radiator to the engine. Just to the left of the steering column is the radiator. The fan is on the rear of the engine pulling air from the cab. There is a kick panel at about shin level made of mesh that the air is pulled through.

[​IMG]

The left side in the above pic is the rear of the engine. Exhaust exits the right side and shoots straight forward. I don't think there will be any issues at all with air circulation or CO fumes. Even with the rubber I'm getting ready to install, outside air can still come from under the seat, go straight through the kick panel, through the tractor's radiator and exit out the front with help from the fan and the exhaust going the same direction like a scavenging effect.

I do have a coolant temp gauge on the dash, so I will also be monitoring that closely. There is a temp. sending unit on the lower radiator. Honda thinks of most things way before we do.

Once all enclosed, I plan on doing some testing before I install the auxiliary heater. I want to drive it around and put some load on it and just see what it's going to do. I may not need a heater whatsoever, but I should know soon enough. I may even hang a thermometer inside just for curiosity's sake. I'm guessing I'm about 2 weeks out before that happens. After the rubber, I need to do some wiring. So the heater, if needed, will be dead last.

[​IMG]

If you study this photo closely, you can see plenty of areas for outside air to enter, even after I install the rubber - all around the rear fenders, and even between the backbone of the frame and my lower rear cab frame. Air will move back to front. I'm hoping it will be a non-issue.
  15. kirkster70

Oddometer:
    More from today...

[​IMG]

Pattern transferred to mat with a white Stabilo grease pencil...

[​IMG]

...and cut out with a razor knife. A trick I learned is to place a scrap 4" x 4" piece of wood underneath near the cut so the rubber has a bend to it - then it separates as you make multiple cuts.

[​IMG]

Additional notches made for seat rail with the razor knife, and holes drilled with a hole saw for the seat springs so that the seat returns to it's normal position. It's lying in place very nicely and I haven't even fastened it with hardware at this point.

[​IMG]

I wasn't able to make an accurate paper template here, so I just scaled off each section and laid it out. I did not account for any shrink or gain, but it worked out fine in one piece.

[​IMG]

I cut this end long so that I can trim it to fit as I start bolting the mat down from rear to front. I'm very happy with how this part turned out, plus it covered all the goofy looking holes from the old shelving frame. Me likey!

PBG - I'm still keeping track of weight...this little piece of thick rubber tips the scales @ 20lbs. I'm currently @ 207lbs with only the rear panel remaining. Not too shabby at all.

I'm stopping by Home Depot when I get off work in the a.m. to pick up some things to get her all wrapped up. I should be able to get a good bit done in the following days. Until next time!
  16. Colorado970

Colorado970 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Kirkster...how much weight do you think you've added to this little tractor?

Erik
  17. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    From the post above yours:

18. 100mpg

Oddometer:
    What are you going to do about the holes in the foot rests?
  19. kirkster70

Oddometer:
    I'll probably just leave them alone.

If I find they are letting in too much air, I'll just duct tape them from the underside.
  20. 100mpg

Oddometer:
    Duct tape! You can weld up a couple of little foot radiators and mount them under each side...:D