Rallye navigation bracket photo thread

Discussion in 'Racing' started by wrk2surf, May 4, 2011.

1. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:
    the VR is supposedly built a lot more durably than the other computers they sell. It is also capable of running km's. look at the dugas engineering computers too.
  2. MakS

MakS Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The my idea for the "KTM"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    loganlexow likes this.
  3. pilo

pilo Rhymes with below

Oddometer:
    Second version seems to be working excellent with my BD 8". Thanks to paul@hdb for all of his help. Heading off today for Jimmy's class.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh, and I solved my connector questions by just ordering lots of parts. Hopefully this last for a while. At least I know where to order. The AMP stuff I found was cheapest at www.onlinecomponents.com

[​IMG]
  4. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    Awesome, thanks for the connectors lead.
  5. drc42

drc42 Rally Dreamer

Oddometer:
    A tip on these, last week in Mexico my ICO fell apart 10 miles in. The 4 small screws that hold the metal backing plate to the plastic body all vibrated loose. I would suggest a piece of tape over each screw to prevent it from backing out. I don't know if this is a common failure on these, this is my first ICO, but considering how quickly it happened I suspect I am not the only one.
  6. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    or a dab of silicone.

Good tip. Thanks.
  7. DaveRMS

DaveRMS 404 Not Found

Oddometer:
    This is not a common failure in my experience, and we've mounted many of them on race bikes and on rental bikes. The plastic is pretty "grabby" on the threads. Maybe they were the wrong screws???

Dave
  8. theantipaul

theantipaul Reforming Neandertal

Oddometer:
    So I've been playing around with a few different ideas with the help of Crankshaft and Pilo, here's the next iteration, the roadbook mount can rotate in the event of a crash if tightened just right, but I plan on an adjustable turn buckle kicker for mine. The side plates bolt onto a plate sandwiched between the upper triple and the lower handlebar clamp that cantilevers out front, on the rider side there is a subplate that the damper mounts to that is adjustable. On KTM's this stackup mounts with all 4 M10 bolts in the upper triple making it pretty strong. The lower mount goes to the 2 M6 threaded holes in the lower triple.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With 2 Baja Designs Squadrons, these have 4 Cree XML LED's pull only 44watts and are very bright.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The second Squadron comes into use with the removal of 4 small screws that hold the bezel of the headlight mask, then reattach the stock bezel, will be refining that. The headlight mask can mount on either the top or bottom Squadron. Trying to keep a street legal looking setup to keep the scrutiny down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Night time veiw of the Squadrons. They are very nice!

[​IMG]

Only been able to take it out a few times after work and have yet to do a long ride with it, but so far I haven't noticed any strange handling from it, and for the time being I have the brake and speedo lines ziptied to the handguards as there doesn't appear to be anything for them to hang up on except branches and bushes.

I'd like to find a 3-3.5" HID that has a good focus to replace the lower Squadron for better throw, might end up trying to make one.

The next version w/frame mount, if I can stop dicking with the rest of it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let me know what you think and as always be brutal.
    Wayne Jenkins likes this.
  9. AWM

AWM Beard Bros Racing

Oddometer:
  10. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    I do like that.

Ummm, asshole?

Sorry, not too au fait with this brutal shit.
  11. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente f5ree sub-zero agent

Oddometer:
    THAT is as neat, compact, tidy and well laid out (triple clamp mounted) "rallye lite" set up as I have seen. Very nice OEM appearance, great finish and workmanship... and seems to give a faily good view of the RB, and clearance for the front brake line routing... without it sticking out there in the typical "eifel tower" manner. :clap

Two suggestions/questions.

1. include some form of bracket so that an ICO/rally trip can be fitted above the road book - if this bracket is laterally adjustable enable to move and fix the tripmeter so that it's display can be alingned with the printed distance column on the roadbook (some roadbook formats have this in slightly different places) then that would be ultimate!

2. is it posible to mount this unit to a headstock mount; off the frame steering head tube (similar/same as the Raid Designs mount) - in order to get the weight off the steering/bars (not that this set up looks overly heavy).

With these two adaptations, I would think that this would be an ideal (optimum) "Rallye Lite" set up for navigation/roadbook rallies, where a "full" Dakar set-up is not required.

Lean mean fighting machine! Nice job! :clap
  12. drc42

drc42 Rally Dreamer

Oddometer:
    Would seem odd for the factory to use the wrong screws, if so it likely would be a full run of them with the wrong screws so probably worth keeping an eye on these.

My trusty roll of duct tape came to the rescue and held it together for the rest of the race.
  13. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks great Paul.

What are the two additional holes in the Squadron mask seen here:
    [​IMG]

Looks lamost like you made room for 2 of the 4 additional Squadron LEDs to shine through.
  14. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    Try the watchdog Doug, very rugged.
  15. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    Looks great Paul!
  16. drc42

drc42 Rally Dreamer

Oddometer:
    I have one on my enduro bike, hate the buttons. Otherwise it is fine.
  17. theantipaul

Oddometer:
    You left before it was done Aaron, so is it close to what we were talking about?
  18. theantipaul

Oddometer:
    Freaking Kiwi's, I don't think it possible to get a better compliment, thanks Nordie.

Troy, Aaron and I were talking one day when he came up with what I think was a brilliant idea, separate the displays from the electronics and place them as close as possible to the paper, over their respective column and then mount the rest of the mass somewhere closer to the center of rotation, also try to harden the roadbook itself to survive impacts better. I tried the RMS ICO bracket mount, just wish it were made of thicker gauge, but that too will accomplish mounting up the ICO.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sort of a cage for the roadbook, the added weight would be offset by smaller displays. Still working it, hope to move them closer once I get the electronics.

[​IMG]

On the frame mount, the Raid setup looks like it works with SE's, but that clamp setup wouldn't work with most smaller bikes I know of, no room to clamp. I'm more of a fan of welding to the frame, then bolting right now. Is this the one you meant?

[​IMG]
    Hay Ewe likes this.
  19. theantipaul

Oddometer:
    Since I'm now out of the LED business having settled on the Squadrons I made some that bolt into the lower portion and the driver has 3 modes, full, 30% for street and strobe. Thing is they don't fit with the dual Squadrons and after testing it I want to place them on top instead of below.

All this still needs quite a bit of refinement and I getting buried with work, so that's backburner stuff.
  20. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:
    I'll think on this a bit but it looks like a good idea to me...helps strengthen the roadbook mounting bracket and provides clean mounts for the computer mounts.