Oz - A little ride around Nerriga (NSW)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by gco0307, Mar 29, 2008.

1. gco0307

gco0307 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well yet another week of copping pure crap at work from idiots in management, I really needed to get out and about and after waking to a glorious sunny morning figured that Saturday was as good a day as any.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    But where to head?<o:p></o:p>
    Well the answer was easy as I had been trying to get to Nerriga for a look around the roads south of <st1:street><st1:address>Oallen Ford Road</st1:address></st1:street> for sometime, so today would be that day.<o:p></o:p>
    Trusty map - check<o:p></o:p>
    GPS - damn, bugger thing playing up - no check.<o:p></o:p>
    Fuel - Nowra<o:p></o:p>
    So off we go down the increasingly boring <st1:street><st1:address>Princes Highway</st1:address></st1:street> although I did get lucky and have a relatively clean run north of <st1:state><st1:place>Berry</st1:place></st1:state> in the twisties which is always good. Through Nowra and onto <st1:place>South Nowra</st1:place> for fuel for the bike and myself, then it was off out past Albatross and onto <st1:street><st1:address>Braidwood Road</st1:address></st1:street> which is becoming more boring as the seal it.<o:p></o:p>
    Had to make the obligatory stop at Tianjara falls which well can hardly be called a falls as much as a trickle, but still it is more of a trickle than the least time I was there.<o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG]<o:p></o:p>
    After the break it was back out and onto the road where the groove I had already found continued and already the stresses were flowing out as I took in the views whilst riding on a very confidence inspiring surface which allowed a brisk pace. After a while I came upon more of the road works which I really think will dampen a lot of the attraction of this road for the ADV bikes, but hey, they call it progress.<o:p></o:p>
    But at least we have views like this near Bulee (yeah, crappy photo I know, but then I ain't no photographer ;D )<o:p></o:p>
    Unfortunately, progress dictates that the old road has to be replaced with one of the more modern things and the work is everywhere.<o:p></o:p>
    I was disappointed with the fact that another damn fine piece of road was going to be nothing more than a piece of history, but I wasn't about to let that ruin the day so it was onwards across the Endrick River and upwards to Nerriga with another photo stop.<o:p></o:p>
    [​IMG] <o:p></o:p>
    As usual, a quick stop at Nerriga pub was in order to refresh some fluids where after a few moments arrived a bucks party in a beaten up old HQ Kingswood they had commandeered for the day. But I didn't want to stay and join in the festivities as roads beckoned so it was off towards Braidwood although with no real plans to speak of.<o:p></o:p>
    Now, this is where my maps became next to useless.<o:p></o:p>
    I had with me a large map lacking in detail but it showed a few roads so I decided to look for these by heading down Oallen Road and looking for turn offs. Well, the first turn-off I found wasn't even on the map so I just gave up and decided to ride around and use the old trusty and true turn left here, turn right there method.<o:p></o:p>
    Crossing Oallen ford I noticed that there were a heap of campers around so I couldn't be bothered stopping and climbed the small hill and came across a very small Joe Blake trying to cross the road. So, not wanting to see him run over I stopped, got the camera (the real reason for stopping no doubt) and got a shot.<o:p></o:p>
    While watching the little fella disappear into the surrounding scrub, I turned to face the bike and was confronted by a damn horse and rider just wandering out of the middle of nowhere. Pure country I tell ya, any how after a short chat where I learnt that the 'pony was to fat and we gotta lighten him up', she and her posse of dogs continued on their way. Stuff like this really helps the destress process.<o:p></o:p>
    Knowing where Oallen Ford road goes I was desperate to find other sidetracks but each one I came to was gated, padlocked and warned of private property so it made passage difficult. But then I found one, open gate, no 'private property' type sign so I took it, only to find a house about 300 metres later where old haveachat here spent 20 minutes talking to the landowner. It was this lady who made me fully realise how useless the map was when she explained that she didn't know of some of the roads on it and reckoned that it was based on 50 year old information. Mind you with her local knowledge she gave me a few tips on roads to have a look at, although as she said they didn't go through but had some interesting aspects, and she was right.<o:p></o:p>
    Following her directions were roads like this.<o:p></o:p>
    Where the Strom didn't look out of place.<o:p></o:p>
    Eventually I wound back onto <st1:street><st1:address>Oallen Ford Road</st1:address></st1:street> but still following her directions I tool another of the side roads as she had advised that there were some interesting aspects to it, and she was well right.<o:p></o:p>
    Now whether I am riding or driving in the bush I always enjoy the site of the gullies created by watercourse flow, not creeks so much as a watercourse where in heavy rain the water centres and often causes erosion resulting in some weird and wonderful landscapes. Well, I found one such area by following her directions and have to say I absolutely loved the weirdness of it all and stayed there for around 30 minutes just taking it in and exploring.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>[​IMG]

Yet, no matter where you go the native plastic bottle always rears it head (this one was in about 5 feet of dirt and is buried in the back wall of the hole).<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>[​IMG]

But all things must come to an end so I headed back out towards the main road only to run into four local kids out on their six wheeler with dad further back up the road and man, they were having fun.<o:p></o:p>
    Leaving them behind I just hit the main road and turned left somewhere, then left again and found more sensational dirt which again was in excellent condition with the usual great views.<o:p></o:p>
    Following this road yet not having any idea on what it was called or where it headed was heaps of fun and just what the doctor had ordered, as were the sights and sounds.<o:p></o:p>
    By now the smile would not disappear and I was having an absolute blast on roads that the Strom was just eating up, this was sensational and what a day to do it.<o:p></o:p>
    Leaving the lake area I headed towards Tarago when off to the corner I spotted something weird and I do mean weird.<o:p></o:p>
    This was in a paddock and looked like an old satellite type dish with cyclone wire fencing, no doubt some weird things happen out in these parts but it really got the interest up.<o:p></o:p>
    Leaving the 'thing' I took a left hoping for dirt but found some tar which wasn't to bad as it allowed me to find more dirt (I needed dirt) and eventually I found what for me was bliss. Seeing a turnoff to the right I took it and what a decision it turned out to be.<o:p></o:p>
    This road was the fastest dirt I have ridden (yes I am inexperienced) as it had big sweeping bends as you climbed onto a ridge and just as you get to the you are confronted by views like this.<o:p></o:p>
    Or even letterboxes like this.<o:p></o:p>
    Having absolutely no idea where I was (remember, bad map, no GPS) I just followed on as this road was just to damn good and eventually came across an intersection with Sandy Point Road (that is on my map). So what road had I been on.<o:p></o:p>
    Decision time, turn right or left ................... right it was and further into the unknown.<o:p></o:p>
    After a few kays I saw another side road and took it. This turned into yet another great decision as whilst not fast this road was fun and I even got wet.<o:p></o:p>
    This crossing had a very interesting base that looked like large rocks but was quite flat with a concrete centrepiece (hope they show up in the pic).<o:p></o:p>
    Once across this road kept on with the fun factor when a little further along I noticed what looked like a camp area so went to have a look and found someone who may be familiar to some members. Really, middle of nowhere and the people you run into.<o:p></o:p>
    After a chat (old haveachat at work again) and realising that it was getting towards the time when the true locals come out to play we <o:p></o:p>
    went our separate ways, he returned to his camp whilst I crossed rivers.<o:p></o:p>
    But, on every ride there has to be a moment and I had mine when I rounded a corner at approximately 70 or so kays to be confronted with sand everywhere. Needless to say the Strom did an impression of a bellydancer as the top half went one way, the bottom another and so on. All the time with m e on board thinking to let it ride itself out and get in the little ditch left as it would straighten everything up which damn worked. Mind you, it was heaps fun and I absolutely peed myself laughing as I took the pic (the fun started virtually at the start of the shot)<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Keeping on keeping on this was a very nice piece of road and just more of what was needed when I came upon the <st1:place><st1:placename>Mongarlowe</st1:placename> <st1:placetype>River</st1:placetype></st1:place> with the nice old bridge.<o:p></o:p>
    My presence didn't seem to worry the locals.<o:p></o:p>
    But all good things have an end and this was coming as it was getting later so I didn't want to be in roo country at the wrong time. So it was more of the same as I continued along this gorgeous piece of dirt before rejoining Braidwood road for the reverse trip home.<o:p></o:p>
    All up I did around 450 kays with half dirt and had a ball. I cannot recall the last time I have actually felt so damn good riding a bike, nor when I have been in such a zone of comfort and relaxation, it really was awesome.<o:p></o:p>
    As for the countryside it will be revisited as the sights, sounds and smell cannot be done justice in a photo.<o:p></o:p>
    God that was a good day.<o:p></o:p>
    Garry<o:p></o:p>
    While most of the pics are up, the full album is:- http://s17.photobucket.com/albums/b100/gco0307/29-3-2008%20Around%20Nerriga/?start=all
  2. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Fantastic ride!! Thanks for the report and pics.. you sure have great D-S riding in NSW. :thumb
  3. TouringDave

TouringDave Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer:
    :clap
  4. infoatnmmoto

infoatnmmoto I knoews I be bad.

Oddometer:
    Nice ride!
  5. Vamartha

Vamartha Lost in ADVRider

Oddometer:
    Nice! Thanks!
  6. auRoscoe

auRoscoe Cerebral Failure!

Oddometer:
    :clap Thanks mate for the great rr.
  7. L0cky

L0cky Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  8. gco0307

gco0307 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The tyres are Continental TKC80's which I reckon wear ok but that really depends on your sense of ok I suppose.

The front is near 9000kms old and probably still has a good 3 - 4000 more, the rear is near new. The first rear wore out at around the 7000 - 7500 or so mark which I am happy with given the horror stories of 3000km wear on the bigger bikes.

They are obviouslt very good off road and extremely surprising on tar in the twisties as my hero knobs can attest, but they do slide relatively easy on tar and if the tar is wet, hang on (but that could be my riding style),

Thanks for that as I seriously was wondering just what the heck it was and as you described it, makes sense now looking at it.

Much appreciated.

Garry
  9. davorallyfan

davorallyfan Commonist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Compare
    [​IMG]
    with
    [​IMG]
    =
    [​IMG]

BTW the Sand east of the crossing used to be a lot deeper than it is now.

Nice pix - onyah.
  10. Andrew2

Andrew2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice photos Gaz:thumb
  11. Lewy

Lewy Minus the LC8

Oddometer:
    Top shots Gaz

The weather was a bit chilly at Nerriga today.

Next time I will join you
  12. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    Nice report and pixs.. :clap
  13. slowbike smallpenis

slowbike smallpenis Tester of Tooheys Old Supporter

Oddometer:
    Shoalhaven above Tasmania and West of New Zealand
    Nice one Gary :thumb
  14. Eaglebeak

Eaglebeak All roads rider, West Oz.

Oddometer:
    Nice pics. Must show my brother, he's thinking of selling his (near new) Strom.
  15. KeithDommirider

KeithDommirider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice ride :)
  16. gco0307

gco0307 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Depending on what he wants to do the Strom will handle near anything and I only say 'near' because I assume there is a limit but if so, I haven't found it yet.

Mine does everything for pure sealed surface, to rides like this post to stuff a little tougher where there is mud and water and, well all kinds of stuff. And it does them well.

Let him see this and any other Strom posts as they are a very good bike in all conditions (but get rid of the stock tyres in dirt).

Garry
  17. timbo43

timbo43 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great repot
    Just makes me whant to leave F******work right now and go for a ride

:clap
  18. tripodtiger

tripodtiger Off riding around on bitumen circles.

Oddometer:
    looking for a smaller house & bigger shed.
    Nice job, Gaz.:D
    And what's wrong with your photos? Do they make you happy? Yes. Job's right then.