Irl 2013

Discussion in 'Racing' started by lewismedlock, Mar 24, 2013.

1. lewismedlock

lewismedlock Follower

Oddometer:
    Is anybody else still interested in IRL?

I enjoyed the race today. Graham is racing for his dad now, Simona's car actually has an engine, Hildebrant was asleep at the wheel and took out Power, the rookie drove well, and Danica is still gone.

The drama at the end of the race had me on the edge of my chair. I really wanted to see Simona on the podium. However, her tires were used up and she gave up three positions on the last two laps.

Oh, and if you didn't watch it you probably won't believe me, but Sato didn't take anybody out.
  2. Jurgen

Jurgen CysHeteroPatriarch

Oddometer:
    I tuned in to catch about the last three laps. Was some good racing. Made me think I may give it one more try this year. :dunno
  3. green hell

green hell yawning or snarling

Oddometer:
    that was a great race, especially the last few laps. it was too bad about simona's tires. i was surprised how well castroneves' tires held up, considering how hard he was pushing hinch.

not a fan of the penske team, but i did have a brief flash of sympathy for power. very brief. his initial lead was incredible.

marco had a great run at the end. i thought kanaan was trying to hold him off (for simona) but ran out of steam.

and minimal stupidity in turn one. that was a nice change of pace.

looking forward to barber.
  4. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    I said in the other 2013 thread I started that I was a De Silvestro fan this year. Good year to be me! She was great.

Good race. For some reason, the series feels fresh this year. The hell with Andretti and everyone else who stuck a knife in Bernard's back. No cheers for Hinchliffe from me.

Looks like Chevy is still the engine to beat. Six of the first seven were bow tie cars. Hopefully Honda can find something, just for the sake of competitiveness.

For a street course, this was a pretty competitive race. :thumb
  5. DirtFarmer

DirtFarmer Has anyone seen my mother

Oddometer:
    I thought she did very well when her car went away the last 3 laps. Would have been very easy to make a big mistake and she kept her cool.

No love for Hinch? :lol3 The Danica wig was in the top ten of IRL moments in 2012. Speed sure does like him, on Wind Tunnel again next Sunday.
  6. lewismedlock

lewismedlock Follower

Oddometer:
    I looked for another thread before I started this one Sid. I guess that my google foo is poor.
  7. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    No worries. :thumb With only three pages to this forum and little interest in IndyCar, my thread probably fell out the back of this forum a while ago. I'm just glad you watched and commented.

I will say that I don't watch qualifying. In F1 it's thrilling. In IndyCar, it's just baffling. Versus never even showed the whole thing, leaving you to pick it up in the middle.
  8. tinhead

tinhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm liking seeing the now unified series rebuild.
    One step back this season, going from three engine suppliers to two, and they badly need another chassis or 2 in the mix.

The series should be kept American in focus, meaning a majority of races on ovals, from the 1.062 of Loudon to the 2.5 of Indy, and the road races should be on road courses with maybe 2 or 3 street courses a season.

See y'all at Pocono!
  9. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    I like the ovals too, but they're a dying breed. Wheldon's wreck didn't help anyone feel better about open wheel on a banked track. Personally, I really dislike street courses. That's why Sunday's race was a pleasant surprise. There was tension to the end (it helps than I'm a Simona man this season. :D)
  10. car94

car94 What's this Box for?

Oddometer:
    I really liked how they parked the winner across the lines in an old parking lot! Classy:thumb
  11. pbarmy

pbarmy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I still love the Indy 500.I attended my first in 1968,been in love ever since.:freaky
  12. tinhead

tinhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    Agreed on the heavily banked ovals. There's still a few that aren't high banked, places like Loudon, Indy, Pocono, bring back the Milwaukee Mile, there must be a few others in the mile and a half range around the country.
  13. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    :thumb Good point.
  14. lewismedlock

lewismedlock Follower

Oddometer:
    I have a vivid memory of the 500 from back when I was young. We were in our back yard playing catch with dad, Their was a ranch behind our house, and there was a palamino and a bay horse in the pasture. Dad's old grey radio was sitting on the fernce, and it was playing the 500.
  15. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    Not a great track for Simona. Hate seeing Andretti do well. Grrr.
  16. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    I have mixed feelings about the racing at Barber. On the one hand, it's a great and lovely venue. The turnout looked pretty good. And racing in the heart of Dixie is great for the series. Birmingham is a sports crazy town, their TV ratings outstrip the entire nation when it comes to ESPN, for example.

On the other hand, the races often aren't the most exciting. Yesterday, the restarts were great. But this thing went green flag for the majority of the distance.
  17. PeteN95

PeteN95 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I diidn't see the race, but it sounded like Dixon made it interesting to the finish? Nice to see RHR win, but would have like to see Dinger do a little better. And it seems the Hondas are competitive again!?
  18. lewismedlock

lewismedlock Follower

Oddometer:
    I'm happy to see the big two at two and three.
  19. vettex2

vettex2 X-Racer

Oddometer:
    they call it INDYCAR now......
  20. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    Technically, it's actually IndyCar.