Dakar Dazed - countdown to bankruptcy!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by JMo (& piglet), Sep 1, 2010.

1. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Yes - that's what I'm afraid of! Having spoken to Tamsin Jones (UK finisher last year), she only had 25 litres on board her WR450, and did run out a couple of times, and got very close on a number of other occasions too...

My plan is to test the bike with full tanks, to know exactly the capacity and range of each (erm, where am I going to get all this time from?!), but even then, in racing conditions, particularly in sand, you can end up using significantly more... never mind getting lost as you say!

J x
  2. Cummo

Cummo Cummomoto

Oddometer:
    You mean you havent mastered the rear wheel spin around technique?
  3. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    Hi Neil - yes, you're experience in Brazil are the main reason I've been delaying the decision this long... the last thing I want is complications at this late stage.

My bike was fine in Tunisia with the stock stator and battery (no HID of course), and other than one day when I killed the battery with repeated starts in the dunes (my clumsiness), it was fine...

The 'Euro' dual-beam headlight that the JVO kits uses is better than the enduro light, the only problem is it pointed at the floor 3 feet in front of my bike! I'm going to try and reposition it to give a better spread...

The problem with Dakar is not so much having trouble and finishing a stage in the dark, rather the very early mornings and a long liaison - in the dark...

My other option is to fit a Vision X LED lamp - these only draw 10W, and offer 900 lumens (purportedly)... it would be the simplest way to get some additional light?

J x

ps. I'll do my best to make a few phone-ins [to rally raidio] from the bivouac, and perhaps see if I can enlist someone to update the thread with photos etc. Hell, I might even treat myself to an iphone (are you listening Apple?!) and do it from the field!

I know that Bivouac security is meant to be tighter this year, and with serious penalties for any team caught utilizing outside help and/or smuggling anyone in... however, their might well be the opportunity to meet up with anyone who is following the rally from the other side of the fence, for a quick interview, and they can also update this (and the main Dakar) thread?

Should anyone be interested in following the Dakar as a roving spectator this January, I know Tamsin and her Sponsor are hiring a 4x4 to follow alongside the rally, and they have a couple of spare seats available - it's going to cost around €2500 per person... PM if anyone is interested and I'll pass the details on...
  4. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    heh heh!

I must say, having witnessed Cummo doing this a couple of times now (thank you!), it is both brutal and beautiful at the same time - I wish I'd had a camera to catch it - it's like a whirlwind of sand and the bike pops out and back down the slope...

Well, that's the theory - I'm sure if I tried it I'd break the other bloody foot!

J x
  5. Vicks

Vicks gets stuck in sand

Oddometer:
    JMo,

heres wishing you great luck on your newest adventure. we'll all be cheering (enviously) from our compooters !!!
  6. spick

spick Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Re: HID, I haven't had any issues running mine for hours on end with the Trail-Tech stator upgrade on my 06 WR450 using the stock battery. As long as the bike is running there is enough power to keep the battery charged and the light burning, both bulbs on my X2.

Granted I don't have any thing else drawing power right now besides the lighting front and rear.
  7. schattat

schattat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do Cummo and Frans Verhoeven use the same technique? :ear

[​IMG]
  8. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually, it's not hard to learn. Start in really small steps, rocking back onto the rear wheel just as you add throttle and clutch, and when the wheel starts to rise, pull whichever way you want to go.

The more vertical the bike gets, the farther you can turn in one swing, but it even works on 950s in sand, even in really small steps. Each time you turn a little, the rear wheel gets new bite, so it's a great technique for getting unstuck.

You can practice it in your driveway even, the timing is the same even if the traction is a little bit better...
  9. tserts

tserts Chaotic Neutral

Oddometer:
    Sounds you're on a tight schedule, testing range on race conditions is going to be brutal but good practice on the other hand...

It all comes down to getting lost or not I reckon, that is the one thing that can leave you stranded with an empty tank no matter how many liters you carry... I always wondered why do they set up the refueling stations that far apart...

Keep your spirits up and physiotherapy higher! :clap:clap
  10. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Supporter

Oddometer:

I still think I'm too short (scared) for that one
  11. tehdutchie

tehdutchie Long timer

Oddometer:
    How about making us a little video about that??
  12. Cummo

Cummo Cummomoto

Oddometer:
    Use a 690rr full of fuel when you make the video so it's a little more real! Lol.
  13. ktmJOE

ktmJOE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would like to see that too. +1:1drink
  14. Czechsix

Czechsix Slower than you....

Oddometer:
    Very cool, great looking setup, I'll definitely be rooting for you.
  15. Cummo

Cummo Cummomoto

Oddometer:
    Its actally as Ned says quite easy ( he mentions a 950), but rather than being on the bike I prefer to stand beside it, ( 690RR full of fuel ) when I drop the clutch, there is no real weight as the momentum carries the load and you just guide the bike to where you want the front to drop.
  16. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    Is it best to practice this with your own or someone elses bike?
  17. Cummo

Cummo Cummomoto

Oddometer:
    I practised in Tunisia with Jennys WR! LOL.
  18. Cummo

Cummo Cummomoto

Oddometer:
  19. Happy Buddha

Happy Buddha Explorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    :clap I will be watching your successes closely.
  20. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Supporter

Oddometer:
    that technique I'll have to try:thumb