riding bitumin- is this adventure?

Discussion in 'Australia' started by stormsearcher, Jan 4, 2013.

1. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    The average family car could do it...

I was heading from Birdsville to Boulia one year and a met two ladies who were going the other way in a new magna.

They were taking it easy, but I have no doubt they made it there, and back...

I still don't care what it is called though, I just wonder why people want to label it an "adventure ride" every time they swing there leg over a bike.

Is is some how magically better if you can put a name to the "type" of ride?:lol3
  2. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    I once stopped in a locale that didnt have a cappucinno machine in the whole town!!!!!!!:eek1:eek1
    Now that was a ferkin adventure into realms I do not want to revisit, instant coffee is the work of the devil to a coffee snob like me!:deal
  3. gavo

gavo Slacker

Oddometer:
    Someone who likes to have a name for everything and have it nicely pigeon holed, the sort of person who rides a fully kitted 1200 gs to the coffee shop but nowhere else, the sort of person who wears khaki pants and shirt and has all the best hiking gear for their bus tour around S.E.Asia :lol3 need I go on?
  4. Canary

Canary Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know at least two guys who rides SV's and have riden them on more dirt roads and better than other riders I have seen on dual purposes. The bikes are both SV nakeds though.

Well done riding an S on gravel. :thumbup

Let me guess, is your SV black?

www.svdownunder.com

Back on topic.

I guess that riding mainly on bitumen is touring but is still riding and could be an adventure to the person doing it. :D
  5. fayeslane

fayeslane Rankest of amateurs

Oddometer:
    Unbelievable :eek1 Name names so none of us end up in a similar predicament :*sip* :lol3

Could be a new thread " Non Latte' towns"
  6. Dean Ohlin

Dean Ohlin inner city elite

Oddometer:
    If only we could consult The Master

he sorted out life's OTHER big question (bin #5 no. 3)
  7. leighwgold

leighwgold Ph.D. of B.S. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good guess Canary. Black 07 with plenty of mods. Not knobblies though.
  8. B1

B1 Carbon-based bipedal

Oddometer:
    yep, only black SVs can handle the dirt. :D

[​IMG]

if riding beyond decent coffee shops then it helps to carry a little pouch of vittoria italian blend to snort in emergencies....

[​IMG]
  9. xrxtz

xrxtz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "A tight swag and a loose plan". yeah that'll work, every time Ross Green, Dalby Moto circa 2000 and something yeah. ?
  10. Maggot1300

Maggot1300 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Couldnt agree more, mind you i take mine on gravel roads a lot (and occasionally bin it doing so). :D

Busa's are a bloody fun bike:clap
  11. stormsearcher

stormsearcher Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thought about this one.
    Dirt roads -dirt oriented bike
    Bitumin - road bikes.
    Or make do with whatever one has.
    Just ride,ride like the wind to be free again.!
  12. Wally Peat

Wally Peat Certified Hard Arse

Oddometer:
    Ar fuggit, my $0.02 worth...

I mostly lurk because I ride a roadie. When I see photos of bikes at Cameron's Corner or the Cape I think good onya, I'd love to go there, but when it's one bike that I can afford I bought an f800r. I didn't even test ride it. A weekend away with the f800gs and a tiger xc for comparison (cheers to the local dealer who makes that possible) I knew I was paying a couple of extra grand for something I would never use properly.

I knew that dirt adventures for me would require something with one cylinder at around the 100kg mark, and given the last three decades of doing that on pedal power I wanted something more by way of phallic reassurance in a motorcycle, so the naked roadster it is. I guess I look like lots of other 50 somethings who want to recapture the adventures of our youth on the bikes we just rode everywhere:deal

So full respect to the ADV riders who do it in the dirt on long and lonely roads. I can't wait until that's an option for me; but I get off on the fact that we choose to make it hard for ourselves rather than take the airconditioned cage, whether it's the dirt or the pavement, and the risk to life and limb when we are old enough to know better is a sure sign that we are adventurers even when we aren't Adventure Riders.

In the meantime, my trip to Brizvegas next week is a choice between risking it with the caravans and unhappy campers on Highway 1, or the inland route via the Towers, Emerald, Biloela, etc with the company of B Doubles and some serious heat on the blacktop or dirt. Hopefully the country won't be on fire. Hydrate, electrolytes, check the machine all over every couple of hours. No different to an enduro on the mountain bike, except maybe the pace.

I'm gunna have an adventure and I hope you do too. It sustains us all between shifts at work, and I don't mind what you call it:clap

In the words of the immortal Woody Guthrie: "Take it easy boy, but take it"
  13. willows

willows Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any ride can be an adventure. Before the "adventure bike" fad, we took our road bikes pretty much anywhere. There was little choice.

P.S most bitumen roads (?) in NSW are an adventure!
  14. Canary

Canary Long timer

Oddometer:
    yep, only black SVs can handle the dirt. :d (Quoted from B1)

Not true, :wink:

The two dirt travelling SV's that I know of are blue. Both the riders ride them just as quick if not quicker than some dual purpose riders we have riden with. :lol3

One is a 1000 and the other is a teal blue 650. :nod
  15. davorallyfan

davorallyfan Commonist Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lol3

<IFRAME height=315 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ur8ftRFb2Ac" frameBorder=0 width=420 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

KLX Chris?
  16. stormsearcher

stormsearcher Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was thinking of the same song by SAXON. Don't know who sang it first.
  17. slowbike smallpenis

slowbike smallpenis Tester of Tooheys Old Supporter

Oddometer:
    Shoalhaven above Tasmania and West of New Zealand
    So Grasshopper - is a sidecar an Adventure bike?
  18. stormsearcher

stormsearcher Long timer

Oddometer:
    sure why not.if thats what to ride for your 'adventure'.

i want a can am spyder!
  19. UncleGra

UncleGra Road Grime

Oddometer:
    Yeah...if Tripod tiger is behind the wheel...:norton
  20. BigDuck

BigDuck Don’t be too practical.

Oddometer:
    It was with some trepidation that I finally opened up this thread, thinking that it would be annoying, or only mildly entertaining at best, or even majorly pissed off at all the crap. Like these threads usually are whenever they surface.
    Actually, what a brilliant read. Some clever, articulate and thoughtful posts on here. (Except that everyone sounds cleverer than me)

I like it!:clap:clap

I still maintain my biggest "Adventure Ride" was on a Yamaha AG100 with no clutch, no kickstarter, worn front sprocket, in the wallum in flooding rain and only did about 30kms (in 5 hours), aged 15. With my 12 yo brother on a TS90.....:eek1:eek1