Questions re western NC riding from a Canuck

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by Inniswhe, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Inniswhe

Inniswhe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Having a brutal winter up here in PEI Canada and a couple of us dual sport riders are considering a spring trip to the southeast in search of some good riding. We have never been down in the southeast riding and are looking for some guidance on a good location to base a few days riding out of. I read in old threads that around Waynesville NC was lots of dirt, fire roads, etc. Is that a good area ?
    Also when does the riding season get going. From looking at weather info April 1 looks like about the earliest for reliable weather. We would like to camp or may take down a small RV. Trailering the bikes the 24hr ride.
    Also how late in the spring do you ride before the heat gets unbearable in the Smokey mountain area or is it even an issue in that area.
    We are riding 650 dual sports

Thanks for any advice

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
  2. motobutane

motobutane Dirt ╭∩╮ º.º ╭∩╮only

Oddometer:
    Waynesville is a nice little town but I can't personally speak of the dirt road/dual sport riding.(I don't have a plated bike-yet).The heat is never an issue here,the elevation helps with that.Seems like we get most good snows in February/March so April would be a good time to come.Lots of dual sport rides based from Hot Springs also ~ 25 miles from Waynesville.
  3. foster

foster Introverted and proud of it

Oddometer:
    Waynesville will make a good base for exploration. Plenty of good paved and dirt routes throughout Nantahala and Pisgah National Forests. It rarely gets hot here (maybe in August) and when it does get warm, a little elevation does wonders. April is usually a good month but highly variable with regard to weather. Be prepared for anything, including road closures due to weather and / or budget cuts.
  4. 35xj

35xj Long timer

Oddometer:
    PEI winter.. haha, I spent 5 years in ova scotia as a kid. Winters here are much more pleasant!

Waynesville would not be a terrible place to use as a base camp. Some riding out that way. Look at the Tellico area threads as well. (spring beaver) Also, some riding out towards the Brevard area.
    Eastern TN also has a lot to offer for dualsport rides.

Weatherwise, its hard to predict. This winter has been kinda long and cold, compared with our usuall. So, it may be cold/dry, Snowing, Warm/wet typically it doesn't get really hot here until june/july. typically spring is warm and rainy, but who knows!
  5. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
  6. DirtDabber

DirtDabber cultural illiterate

Oddometer:
    I am in Clayton GA. You are welcome to base camp out of my farm. Have a campsite down by the creek with your own private waterfall, it is secluded, private, and no one will mess with your stuff. Pretty close to Two Wheels of Suches, Wheels Through Time, the Blue Ridge Parkway, Cherohala Skyway and all the dual sport routes in the area.

Riding season never ends. We were out yesterday on a really nice loop on the 990s. Although we did get sleet and freezing rain above 5000 feet and had to navigate with our faceshields up since they were frozen over...

Weather starts warming up at the end of February and usually by the end of March the only thing you will have to deal with is spring showers. It really doesn't get too hot to ride. July and August are the hottest.
  7. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    Nothing is a sure thing, but if I wanted a reasonably nice time to see that area I would aim for mid-late May. We did it last year, and the bugs weren't bad, the nights were just a bit crisp and days were about perfect.

Here's a nice graphic for Andrews-Murphy Airport (Andrews, North Carolina)
    [​IMG]

Also, you might enjoy checking out some of the Trans Eastern Trail (TET)
  8. dlrides

dlrides 1:1.618 Supporter

Oddometer:
    To get to western NC you have to pass WV, VA and KY. That's like passing up a steak to get a hot dog !

Just sayin'
  9. JayRitz

JayRitz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Been in the area a couple times for road-only trips. Make sure you stop at Wheels Through Time and give yourself a couple hours. Cherohala Skyway is a great road that you want to check out as well.

Oh, and if you end up in Gatlinburg area, traffic could be a bit heavy.
  10. 4PawsHacienda

4PawsHacienda Inadvertent unrepentant wanderer

Oddometer:
    Personally I love the central and SW Virginia and WVA region. Check out the Hatfield - McCoy trail system. trailsheaven.com
    Super riding without the hassles of cities in VA mountains. Look around Bland and Bastian Va. Also see Hungry Mothers State Park area, Mt. Rogers area, and Grayson Highlands. Days of riding on forest service roads, roads along the rivers - New River especially. Rural Retreat is a good area. check out clawofthedragon.com website for some local info, also virginiablueridge.org
    Time wise - you will be a bit wet and chilly in early April but fine, heat not a factor until July normally.
    Western NC getting a bit crowded for my taste. Lots of campgrounds and not too expensive cabins available in VA and WVA mtns.
  11. Inniswhe

Inniswhe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thames for the help, the TET looks like a great idea. Can jump on anywhere and may not have to go as far south as NC. Is the concensus that Virginia and West Virginia are as good or better ? Or does it come down to local knowledge

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
  12. Dorito

Dorito Dreamer and Doer

Oddometer:
    Yes, do as much or as little as you please.

I enjoyed Pikeville, KY area (TET1 & 2) and also Gatlinburg, TN area (TET5 & 6)

As a matter of opinion, I believe the "Blue rated" trails are harder on the western side of the Blue Ridge Mountains. On a little bike T2 ALT 2 was extremely steep and a formidable opponent. Conversly, T7 alt 1 and the Tellico Extension alt I think were ridable even on a big bike.