I'm buying a neck brace

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by HellSickle, Sep 8, 2010.

1. pfb

pfb Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer:
    I tried the Leatt and Apinestar, ended up buying the Leatt.

When I bought my Leatt, Alpinestar hadn't yet released their less expensive version. The A-star at the time was very pricey ($500+).
  2. AnnieGS

AnnieGS Namasté, bitches!

Oddometer:
    Funny...I asked the the critical care physician I saw after a bad high-side two weeks ago about US. They recommended PT and ultrasound on my deep-tissue bruises, as it helps prevent the muscles from becoming heavily fibrous as they heal. :dunno

p.s. Heal fast, Jeff.

p.p.s. does Leatt make pants? :hide
  3. TheDudeAbides

TheDudeAbides Sarcasm free11/11/10

Oddometer:
    I'm just going to velcro one of these around me. Will also come in handy during one of my many frequent naps.

[​IMG]
  4. scaryfast

scaryfast Strugglin' to be Average!

Oddometer:
    Nice choice on the Helmet Dan....I just picked up the new TLD McQueen SE last week...super nice.

I got my leatt when they first came out....they kinda had the market cornered so I have no real experience in comparing the AStars and Leatt. The AStars original was way too much $$..they made the leatt look cheap.

I can say, once adjusted the Leatt is very nice and I actually wear it over the top my jacket frequently.
  5. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    I'm going to go to the gym until I can rest my helmet on my neck muscles :D

Hell.. if I keep going like this guy my neck muscles can stick up over top of my head and I won't need a helmet :huh

[​IMG]
  6. TheDudeAbides

Oddometer:
    PlayzNgym ??

[​IMG]
  7. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Leatt brace.. penny tech KLR edition

[​IMG]

:hide :D
  8. toddler

toddler Unpronouncible

Oddometer:
    Pinewood Springs, CO(between Lyons and Estes Park)
    but dude, your unit is going to get smaller:D
  9. TheDudeAbides

Oddometer:
    I want to get this cah Tey Yem neck brace.

<OBJECT width=480 height=385>
    &nbsp
    &nbsp
    <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/w9J750r6OBI?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></OBJECT>

Is he the same guy who played Jean Girard ?? :D
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vQ7JWqFtKHc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vQ7JWqFtKHc?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
  10. pfb

pfb Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer:
    Probably wasn't your point, but the KTM neck brace is a branded Leatt. I think the higher end carbon fiber Sport version.

[​IMG]
  11. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  12. pfb

pfb Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer:
    It's hard to believe anybody would intentionally try to do that to themselves...
  13. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    That's the same photo I'd put in my original post.. guess the hot link got nuked
  14. suzypoozie

suzypoozie alpha bitch

Oddometer:
    Jeff, how is your neck doing today? I hope better. I am going in for some deep tissue massage today as the chiro and acupuncture isn't helping.
  15. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    Better every day, thanks. I rode the KLR around town without too much trouble yesterday. I can now turn my head far enough to get around OK in traffic. I'm still icing about 2 hours a day and that makes a huge difference. I'm out of the recliner more hours every day. The chiro will have my "acute" treatment plan outlined on Monday. I'm hoping he will finally have success in moving my twisted top vertebrae back into place then.
  16. OUtback UFO

OUtback UFO GLOW IN DARK SPACEINVADER

Oddometer:

I have the GPX Club model... retail is around $400.00... but worth it... i had a bad come off a month ago at 35mph where i landed on my left hip and shoulder after a 10 ft of supermaning... then slided a good 10 feet... my helmet did not touch the gound until i stopped moving and was wallowing on the dirt road.

i had no stiffness or sore spots on my neck or head at all... and my back and shoulder were fine... my hip is what hurt... saved me from smacking my head when my shoulder hit...

The branded Leatts are cool but a good $150-200 more for the graphics
  17. ikonoklass

ikonoklass Kountersteering Krew

Oddometer:
    I think Motoport's latest jacket is Leatt-compatible, too.
  18. cross-country

cross-country .

Oddometer:
    I've been using the Blais (TLD) jacket for a while now the rain it isn't too terrible to deal with. I have yet to ride in a torrential downpour, but for the most part I don't get much water/wind in through the Leatt. If it gets real bad l wear the neck portion inside the restraint. If it's dropping buckets on me, I'll take off the brace and strap it to my seat and zip the neck of the jacket back on.

[​IMG]
  19. murgatroid42

murgatroid42 Great Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Do neck braces also prevent compression spine fractures, or only prevent injuries that occur from the head being hyperextended side to side or front to back? It seems many of the injuries suffered by local riders were compression related.

Serious question, I'm not trying to :pot
  20. cross-country

cross-country .

Oddometer:
    I think it does in most cases (at least that is part of their hype). In my case it did not. I broke T4, 5, and 7 after crashing and landing head first in soft sand. One doctor theorized that the injury occured as my back snapped back from an arched position to a slumped position smashing the front (anterior?) of the vertebrae together.

I don't think the Leatt would not have prevented this injury as it is a neck brace and not a back brace. But I don't realy know, because I was not wearing one. This happened the season before they were widely available.

BTW, I was wearing an Arai helmet and had no concusion, although the helmet was tossed afterwards.