Is Mexico Safe?

Discussion in 'Americas' started by Arte, Feb 1, 2010.

1. pilot815

pilot815 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'll echo whats been said about riding 500-600 miles in Mexico in a day. Its not advised. I have done 600 in one day, and on the klr. It was rough, took about 12 hours, and I would never do that again. I had a deadline to make and I was pushing real hard to make it. Going way to fast over bad desolate roads. Even if you plot a route over cuotas it may prove to be too much.

Sent from my Samsung Note 10.1
  2. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:
    You probably know more about radio and television production than everyone else here combined. When I was in the Rio Grande Valley I remember several television stations that seemed to have studios in the USA but who broadcast out of Mexico.

According to Wiki:

Mexican border stations [edit]

Some Texas cities along the Rio Grande border other Mexican cities. These Mexican cities sometimes have television stations that also serve their Texas counterparts. Digital television transition has not been completed in Mexico, thus still broadcast in analog and some larger cities on the Mexican border broadcast in both analog and digital television.
    AC refers to analog channel VC refers to the station's PSIP virtual channel. RF refers to the station's physical RF channel.

Then that is followed by a surprisingly lengthy list of stations. List on the page at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_television_stations_in_Texas
  3. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    North Carrollton, MS - Traveling on the Moto
    :huh:huh:huh Now how am I supposed to interpret that! :rofl:rofl:rofl
  4. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:

I rode from Escuitla, Mexico which is located a bit north of Tapachula to Nuevo Laredo in two days last year when my daughter got sick. It was 70 to 95 MPH everywhere it was possible and some places that it was not! :eek1 I just replaced the front wheel that was bent on that ride! :deal None of my route was on Quota Roads and was approximately 1,200 miles.
  5. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a Mexico question. :D Do any of you use the USB Air Cards or what ever you call them to connect to internet in Mexico? Can I purchase a Telcel loadable USB to use in my computer? Can the USB then be reloaded at the Oxxos? The private home located in the mountains where I stay at a lot when in Mexico does not have internet. I ask at the local town and they did not know, even though it was a small Telcel distributor.
  6. MikeMike

MikeMike Long timer

Oddometer:
    I remember one plan here had the USB deal. Check the TelCel website, they sometimes have an English page up with deals. If there is phone service you can install a TelMex wireless modem for as little as about $50 a month sometimes with unlimited US and Mexico free long distance.
  7. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    Sounds fun! Pic of the commuter? ;)
  8. bingo43

bingo43 ¡Que Viva!

Oddometer:
    I'm interested. I'm going to stay a few days in Leon. My brother's inlaws live there. I was going to head down there through Real de Catorce...but if I went through Zacatecas I could see Aguas también and you're saying it would be cooler?
  9. rockymountainoyster

rockymountainoyster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That said, Donnie, and that is quite a feat without question, and all went well...but...as you know all too well you can lose your wallet and cash in Lazaro Cardenas and make zero miles a day for some time even though you made a new good friend. Stuff happens in Mexico and it can take time to fix it. You are one of the most experienced Mexico riders here and even you, like me, dumped the KLR, in a moment of inattention.
  10. rockymountainoyster

Oddometer:
    People do indeed drive very fast in 4 wheeled vehicles in Mexico. Somewhere on a very gnarly part of MX 200, I was going as fast as I wanted to go and much to my shame got passed by a dump truck! Knowing the road and being highly insulated from the consequences of the road surface can be quite useful when you want to haul ass.

Mexico is hard on suspensions. My low mileage Ohlins front started leaking after around 6k miles when I was still maybe 1500 miles from home.
  11. rockymountainoyster

Oddometer:
    That is about 72 miles, hour and a half, not recommended at night.
  12. Graveler

Graveler Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Its a hell hole.....
  13. bingo43

bingo43 ¡Que Viva!

Oddometer:
    It's probably been spoken of here..but I know I used my phone in larger cities in Mexico through verizon and it was like a dollar a minute. Texts worked well but they were like 25cents. What about using your Iphone for the internet in those cities to send emails? If you log on to the internet through Verizon phone service is that cheaper than the broadband spoken of? Do any of you that live there have experience con un teléfono estadounidense usando el Internet?
  14. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Me caigo, me levanto

Oddometer:
    I use my AT&T iPhone extensively in Mexico. Following AT&T's advice I bought their Mexico call plan for $3.95/month, IIRC, to make calls in Mexico for <$1/minute. 79 cents/minute maybe. Will have to check. Then I set the phone for International Roam on and auto-update for email off. This gives me control over Data Roam charges which are very high. I only manually update data after getting a wifi connection. Don't recall text fee. Keep in mind that international carriers can charge your US account for up to three months from the moment of use so any rate buy-down fees must stay active on your account for several billing cycles.
    This makes prepaid international data packages tricky to use so I quit trying.

Wonder how Banda Ancha might work with my AT&T phone??:ear
  15. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
  16. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

My Verizon experience is pretty ancient (just to placate certain old men going through their 2nd childhoods :lol3) but about 2006 you couldn't get a Verizon connection in Tampico. When I rolled into Monterrey suddenly I was overwhelmed with texts and voice mails from people wondering if I was OK because I had changed my route and schedule and my satellite tracker had gone dead for several days because I parked my bike in an parking garage with a concrete roof. :rofl

More recently (like maybe 18 months ago) I was using an AT&T data device, working along the border, and evidently connected to Telcel data without realizing it. AT&T sent me an almost $1,000 bill (it was really something like $997 - damned close to a grand) but they did settle it for roughly a penny on the dollar with the promise that I'd lock out all the Mexican signals. Which I did.

Pre- iPhone a lot of my friends who did business in the USA and who were mostly in Monterrey used to carry two cell phones on their belts - one for the USA and one for Mexico and Europe. You don't see that as often but it was the low hassle way of doing things.

Today, I use an iPhone and an iPad extensively and, as the trolls/stalkers like to repeat, I haven't traveled much out of the frontier for a few years. Wifi is pretty popular in Mexico and I've got a few regular haunts where a person can get excellent Wifi.

Bottom line: MikeMike and the guys that actually live in Mexico can hook you up. For a simple, low hassle fix just look for wifi, particularly if you are in cities.
  17. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

That sounds like a smart move because it does put a cap on data and phone charges.
  18. going south

going south hero & Zero...

Oddometer:
    The song by Wall of Voodoo / Stan Ridgeway, (Mexican Radio) I thought was about that, BIG horse power radio stations
    in Tijuana...
  19. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Me caigo, me levanto

Oddometer:
    No it does not. The way it works is you prepay for a set amount at a lower rate and if you exceed that amount you pay a much higher rate for that data. No such thing as a cap.
  20. dwj - Donnie

dwj - Donnie Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would tell you how many times I dumped my KLR, but I can't count that high! :lol3