Lynchburg, VA (and outlying areas, Forest, Evington, Madison Heights, etc)

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by Mava, Nov 26, 2012.

1. goosecreek

goosecreek Ashes ashes all fall down Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad to hear it Allen. Great place I always enjoy hanging with those guys
  2. Forest Rooster

Forest Rooster Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :ricky:ricky
    He's back off the disabled list. We did 130+ mile loop today starting at Peaks of Otter, down Sheep Creek, and eventually ended up at Robinson Gap, and headed back on Pera Rd.

[​IMG]

He said he was listening to Eminem, but I saw him stuffing an M&M in each ear. The good news is you can eat them when you're done listening to them.:lol3
  3. goosecreek

Oddometer:
    Had a nice day next time maybe we will have better luck at the swimming hole.
    I like m&m's almost as much as my beer:D
  4. Forest Rooster

Oddometer:
    https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=209206209905825912380.0004e0165945b269d75d5&msa=0

Other than just a couple of camping excursions, I mostly only do day-rides within 75 miles or so of the Lynchburg area.

I would like to experience an ADV trip on my KLR, but I have not figured out the mc-camping thing yet (at least not smoothly).

So, I have a compromise for a 500 mile trip with no camping, but still free accommodations...

Starting today, I am off until the 8th of July. I am considering a little ADV-trip during this time, using as many back-roads and forest roads as I can (I prefer dirt roads) to get to Cumberland, MD., spend the next day tooling around my hometown and visiting with Mom and Dad, then return the following morning, the same or a similar way (another 250 miles).

I think each way can be done in 1 day with an early start. No camping (I don't have enough gear yet) so can travel light, eat and gas up in small towns, etc.

I suspect that I will have to do this alone, but I am putting this out there just to see if anyone is interested in tagging along. It is nice to have company and it is a huge safety factor too.

I will be watching the weather forecasts for the week to see what the best window of opportunity is.

PM me if interested in what should be a relatively easy (but 2 full-days) ride. :ricky
  5. hscrugby

hscrugby "That guy"

Oddometer:
    Not me, but that's a ktm. My stock exhaust was bad enough I couldn't start it in the garage...
    (also didn't have a spark arrestor, so now have after market that's still loud, but better...)
  6. goosecreek

Oddometer:
    The 690 stock exhaust is super quiet (the only reason I still have it on the bike) but it is as hot as the sun.
  7. hscrugby

hscrugby "That guy"

Oddometer:
    I have a 450XCF. The stock exhaust made harley guys jealous...
  8. AB13

AB13 Ridge Runner

Oddometer:
    Both of my KTMs have stock quiet exhausts, my Harley has aftermarket pipes with baffles it to is quiet, a loud pipe never made me any faster it just got me in trouble. AB :D
  9. goosecreek

Oddometer:
    Hey Allen thanks for leading us up to DB Friday. I put just shy of 600 miles on the 690 this week-end.
    I am a little tender to say the least:lol3
  10. AB13

AB13 Ridge Runner

Oddometer:
    Glad you had a good time it did me good to get out of here for a while. I hope to have Mother Goose back on the road today I will PM you later. As for the seat Fisher made me one for the 530exc I really like it. :D AB
  11. Mava

Mava ---

Oddometer:
    Took this route on the KLR today: http://www.mappingsupport.com/p/gma...t-trails.kmz&ll=37.740381,-79.233802&t=h&z=15

Bit off a bit more than I could chew considering all the rain we've had lately and I'm running Shinko 705s. Lots of muddy soft spots and water rushing down I didn't know I had this map until after I got home, so I had no clue where the path was going. Tried to turn around at one point and couldn't so I just kept on and was happy to come out at the end. Dual sport riding is not a good solo sport. Had fun anyway!
  12. PBOB

PBOB MOTO NUT

Oddometer:
    my .02 cents......
    When I lived in Lynchburg a couple years ago as a student at LU, you were allowed to ride the trails at Liberty Mountain. There are something like 60-100 miles worth of trails. But you had to be a student or staff. Not sure if those rules have changed--- but those are some of the best riding trails in the Lynchburg and surrounding area. There are even maps on the student webpages from what I recall. I'd often see Jerry JR's kid out there alot. The trails are all different kinds, dirt, gravel, muddy, fire road, single tract, etc...
    just watch out for joggers.
    below is a pic on one of the open moutain tops... If i recall correctly, there were 3 main trail accesses-- 1 at the wingate hotel near the runners access, it was a big fire road beside a shack. the 2nd access was on the backside of candlers mountain road off sunnymead off a road called lone jack rd. there is also a motorcross course there too. which i almost killed myself on with the xr650 below... the 3rd way to the trails is the most noticable and easiest way---- yet you run a risk of being caught if you are not a student or staff-- and that is straight infront of the monogram by the snowflex mountain. there are two trails that diverge at the top from what i recall. again really watch out for people here- because most are walking up to the make out gazebo by the monogram (aka the huge LU sign on candlers mountain off hwy460).....
    that should get you all started on some great local riding- just don't be a prick and ruin it by getting the trails shut down for the rest of us!
    :D

[​IMG]
  13. PBOB

PBOB MOTO NUT

Oddometer:
  14. goosecreek

Oddometer:
    I am not sure when you were there last but alot has changed in the last few years.
    They are developing alot of the mountian side:cry
    Looking at the map I think a few of the trails may be gone.
  15. PBOB

PBOB MOTO NUT

Oddometer:

2009. but stayed around till 2010...
    from what i remember and when i go back to see friend and fam- they are expanding on the side of the road where wingate hotel is... there are tons of trails on the back side of the mountain off lone jack road... it will take quite a while till they stretch that far back on the mountain.

just trust me- go up candlers mtn rd. turn left on sunnymeade, then turn left on lone jack road. once on lone jack road you will see a gravel road with a gate on the left. just past that is another trail to the left. that one leads up to trail head. there is a trail map there.

on the other side of lone jack rd on the right side of the road is a sign and a dirt road that leads to the motorcross trail. BUT, the trail continues beyond the motorcross track to more trails...

All i can say is it's great RIDING!
  16. Rocktruggy03

Rocktruggy03 No re-tread here...

Oddometer:
    Hey dudes. Hope y'all have had a good summer. I just discovered the other day that someone stole the tag off my KLR! Bike is fine though.

Soooo how often so I need to change the oil in the thing?
  17. Rocktruggy03

Rocktruggy03 No re-tread here...

Oddometer:
    I live a few miles from Liberty Mountain and agree there is great riding up there. Technically you are supposed to be a student or on staff to ride. I graduated in 08 and figure I paid for it so ill enjoy it.

The area is heavily used by hikers, runners, mtn bikers and occasional equestrian and ROTC. The deeper trails are less traveled but a lot tighter and therefore more difficult.
  18. Forest Rooster

Oddometer:
    I change mine about every 2k miles

[​IMG]
  19. Forest Rooster

Oddometer:
    OK!! I have a mc-camping compromise.:evil Carrying everything I need on the bike is probably not in the cards. I tried the small tent thing and it sucked trying to sleep on the ground.

So, I bought this truck tent and tried it last weekend over at Potts Mountain, and it was absolutely perfect. Karma too! I ran into another ADVrider doing the same thing (PatrickinVA), with the exact same year and model of bike. What a coincidence.:eek1

Anyway, this will allow me to extend my range a little to explore some new territory, sleep comfortably...and carry lots of creature comforts, i.e., food, beer, ice, lantern, wood, water, blankets, pillows, etc., etc....Ahhh yeah...roughin' it smoothly. I plan to do a lot of this. :clap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. goosecreek

Oddometer:
    Good deal glad you enjoied the camping . Looks like a nice set-up, how long does it take to set the tent and is it easier to pitch than a ground tent?
    Now you have one less reason to miss the next ADV event.
    It is birthday season for me (kids all happened about the same time of year) once that is over I will catch you for a ride.