King of the Motos 2014

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Chuck Roll, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Chuck Roll

Chuck Roll Allergic to Organic

Oddometer:
    Never too early to talk about and plan for KOTM race :deal

Taken from FB :

https://www.facebook.com/KingOfTheMotos?ref=stream

"2014 King of the Motos Dates and Updates Announced

King of The Motos announces a new three-challenge format for the 2014 race to be held February 1st and 2nd in Johnson Valley, California as part of the King of the Hammers (KOH) week-long event. In keeping with his tradition of designing cutting-edge, extreme races, KOH founder, Dave Cole and King of the Motos director, Jimmy Lewis have collaborated to bring a more exciting race format to one of the most diverse motorcycle survival races in the world, the 2014 King of the Motos.

After reviewing the success of the last two Motos races, the decision was made to add some of the exciting qualifying and spectator friendly-elements of the original King of The Hammers race to the Motos race for 2014. The changes for 2014 will include a time trial/qualifying event on Saturday, February 1st and a two-stage race on Sunday, February 2nd.

Saturday’s qualifying event will serve two purposes. First, it will determine the starting order for the morning stage on Sunday with the fastest qualifiers from Saturday starting in the the front on Sunday morning. Secondly, Riders who have not pre-qualified for King of the Motos can earn a spot with a fast qualifying time on Saturday. The number of riders that will qualify on Saturday has yet to be determined. Saturday’s qualifying rounds will take place near Hammertown for easy access for on-site spectators. They will also be broadcast over the jumbotron and streamed live to the Internet.

Sunday’s King of the Motos race will be a two-stage format this year. The morning stage will be very similar to the speed and flow of last year’s course with extremely fast desert sections and technical, but not impossible, rock sections. Racers who did not qualify in Saturday’s qualifier will be given another chance to qualify into the main event in this morning stage. Riders will start two at a time and will be timed on a course that is expected to be 40-50 miles in distance. All riders, whether pre-qualified or not, will be required to complete the morning course in a given period of time in order to compete in the afternoon stage. Riders that do not finish in the allotted time will be done for the day.

The King of the Motos main event will take place Sunday afternoon. Only registered racers will be allowed to work on their bikes between the morning and afternoon races. No outside assistance will be allowed. The main event will feature the now infamous goat hill land rush start and will incorporate the most difficult trails in Johnson Valley. The winner will be the rider who successfully completes both of Sunday’s stages in the least amount of combined time.

KOM racers will again be navigating the course mostly by GPS and limited markings. A list of pre-qualified racers will be released soon based on performances in other extreme enduro events. Pre-qualification only means there is a spot reserved in the final race. Racers will still have to complete and finish the Sunday morning stage before the cut-off time in order to start the main event Sunday afternoon."
  2. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome, just saw that on facebook. thanks for posting!
  3. RobertoGatos

RobertoGatos Go-Go-GatosBros!

Oddometer:
    I'm in! New format sounds interesting. Wonder if a result from last year will qualify you? Gonna have my bike in better shape than last year hopefully!
  4. Chuck Roll

Oddometer:
  5. Chuck Roll

Oddometer:
  6. el Pete

el Pete toda su base

Oddometer:
    Can't wait to watch the show again this year. I split my time between Elvis and Chocolate Thunder and was happy that it wasn't me and my bike taking the beating!
  7. J Lewis

J Lewis Numb Nuts

Oddometer:
    Anyone can enter. Qualifying is only to seat top riders from other races into the final race on Sunday. You can qualify by setting a fast qualifying time on Saturday and/or by finishing high enough in the standing on Sunday's morning race.

But no matter what you will have to complete the Sunday morning race in the allotted time to be able to start the Sunday afternoon race. The winner will have the lowest combined time from both Sunday races.

This format, we hope, will allow anyone a chance to come out and show everyone how good of a rider they are with a course that will get progressively more difficult.

I always say, "Don't tell me, show me." See if you can qualify. See if you can finish.
  8. J Lewis

J Lewis Numb Nuts

Oddometer:
    We are also starting to get our volunteer/worker list going. If you are interested PM me your email address and I'll send you out some info.

Thanks,
    JIMMY
  9. joeh

joeh Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What is the cut off date for entering the race? Can you enter the morning of?

Thanks
  10. J Lewis

J Lewis Numb Nuts

Oddometer:
    Pretty sure entry fee goes up Dec1.

No morning of sign up.
  11. nsfw

nsfw Death Valley Noobs Rally Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    we had a great time last year. stood in a good spot that jarvis passed right in front of me.
    [​IMG]

another good one jimmy.

any light duty job for me? btw, i finally got my amateur radio license (K K 6 V V) if that helps.

i like the orange vest, better if it comes with a helmet...:D
    [​IMG]
  12. YOGOI

YOGOI Prick

Oddometer:
    I've looked all over. Whats the entry fee ???
    ...almost registered just to find out, but I got scared.
  13. cross-country

cross-country .

Oddometer:
    For reference, last year it was $300. Are you going?
  14. YOGOI

YOGOI Prick

Oddometer:
    Its a 10 hour drive, more money than I really want to spend (all said and done), Oh, ...and I'm totally out of shape.
    But, maybe it would be fun. :freaky
  15. 602

602 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. thump_co

thump_co ..ouch

Oddometer:
    It's really just like a regular enduro, with maybe one or two extra logs and rocks. :thumbup
  17. Chuck Roll

Oddometer:
  18. VxZeroKnots

VxZeroKnots Long timer

Oddometer:
  19. 602

602 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  20. 602

602 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I have several friends from the area headed out there. I think I am going to put my bike in their trailer. Then fly out there with my parents and meet the crew in Hammer Town.

Although the race itself is a solo event with no spectator or mechanical assistance, I could use a bunch of help in the pits. My parents are coming out to help with coordinating for tech inspection or even keeping me well fed.

Im finally finishing the last bits of my computer science degree and will able to transition back into being an athlete again. KOM is going to be a great introduction into this new chapter in my life. I don't have any illusions of grandeur for my first event. But I do have a big heart and a very stubborn will.

While preparing for a big ride earlier this year, a good friend posed an intellectual question. "If you cry in the middle of the forest, but no one is around to hear you cry... Did your tears make a noise?" I find hard enduros to be especially unique in the offroad world. The above quote seems fitting for this upcoming event.