Look Under Your Frame!!!

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by barbasma, Feb 27, 2005.

1. barbasma

barbasma 100% CAROTONE

Oddometer:
    Sondrio (In the middle of the Alps) Italy
    some bike have a creep under the frame near the bashplate...

nothing dangerous for driving but just for bashplate...

in italy the dealer make a TIG reparation... in germany some CHANGE ENTIRE FRAME...
  2. motozilla

motozilla Long timer

Oddometer:
    Matteo,

Do you mean a crack in the frame?
  3. barbasma

barbasma 100% CAROTONE

Oddometer:
    Sondrio (In the middle of the Alps) Italy
    yes.. :cry
  4. wittman

wittman n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi everybody,
    I have discovered (or better the Sommer mechanic discovered it).
    Here you are
    http://www.tenerside.it/tecnica010.php
    My new frame is arrived last week and the next I'm going to change it.
    In the picture the break is simply to note because there is a TIG on it but it is very difficult to see. You can find it touching the part with a finger.
    Hope none of you could find it
    Best regards
    Paolo
  5. Mack

Mack Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer:
    Thanks to, wittman, barbasma and the fine folks at http://www.tenerside.it/tecnica010.php

Translation: This disadvantage has been found on the construction chassis vintage year 2003, I say construction and not registration.

If from the booklet of circulation not succeeded to go back to the year of construction of the motion you transcribe your number of chassis and makes it you to visionare to your concessionaire KTM of confidence, it will be in conditions for going back to the vintage year of construction.

Premetto that in occasion of this defect guarantee KTM has answered with the substitution of the chassis.

In the photo the point of breach of the chassis is visible, hour is present a welding that has been executed before the participation in guarantee, if not a lot were the welding probably the cracking would not be visible.
    In order to notice it could be sufficient to pass the hand over, to eye often is not visible, sight the paint job of black color.

The critical zone is situated in the skillful side (side posterior brake) under to the footrest in correspondence of the attacks of the cavaletto centers them (than on this present motion not e') close to a bolt that fixed the motor.
    The leak of the chassis does not happen on mounting or the crib but if watched under the footrest side brake you will see the posterior attack of the slab fixed bumper with an embedded bolt if moved a po' behind (with the look) you will find a ring of the fixed chassis with a bolt. Such ring has a thickness much small (said 5/6 milimeter) breaks off the advanced part of this ring well.

It seems that the chassis is broken off for via of the slackening of the bolt (consequent to the vibrations). In order to tranquilize the the 950 minds of Adventure in the new chassis the thickness e' be increased and the bolt e' different.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. overlander

overlander Gravel Travel Tours Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeaaahh! That's what I thought it said! :lol3
  7. creator8

creator8 Team Hollywood

Oddometer:
    There is definiitely a smartassed response to this--I'm just not quite sure where to start.
  8. Stephen

Stephen Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, sure you wouldn't. :lol3

Hope it doesn't contribute to your (deservedly) foul mood, but I checked this morning and found no crack on my bike's bottom. Like an owl.

Relievey Stevie in Austin.
  9. Mack

Oddometer:
    Bump.

I am just curious if anyone checked their frame? Or if owners just aren't concerned enough to worry about it? (Other then Stephen and myself, I don't know of anyone else in the USofA that has commented on this one way or the other.)

From what the Italians are telling me, they have had a number of cracked frames! Not sure on the German's, but it sounds like they have as well. (The crack in my frame was VERY hard to see, and I do this kinda stuff for a living.) My bike has 10,5k miles, Stephens wasn't cracked and has similar mileage.

:ear
  10. Renazco

Renazco Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer:
    Mack do you have any photos of your cracked frame?
  11. Mack

Oddometer:
    James, Seen from the side, the crack in my frame is identical to the pics in this thread. Mine continues up into the radius and up over the top, angling back and aft into the plate. (Might have pics, not sure the cheap borrowed digicam focused well enough, if so I'll send them to you.)
  12. schradt

schradt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't think that it could be a security issue. That sheet metal does only hold the engine, nothing other. I think it was simply too thin, or wrong handled.

Got a new frame for my LC8, 10/2003, 45000km.

[​IMG]
  13. Mack

Oddometer:
    The welder finished today, I'm very happy with his work, he did a bang up job. I'll need a longer bolt for the centerstand, but the TT skidplate and motor are business as usual, fit perfectly. (He welded both sides, and added a triangular doubler.)

Now to finish the updates, valve adjustment, and get the motor back in. Yee Haw. :ricky
  14. Goss

Goss LC8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Checked mine and no crack. :thumb

Goss
  15. Noise

Noise Dreamy Adventurer

Oddometer:

I join you in your happiness. For now, of course :O :eek1
  16. KTMax

KTMax Ninth of the Nazgul

Oddometer:
    Yep, and here another casualty. Mine's cracked too. :splat

I'm not amused.... :cry
  17. Mack

Oddometer:
    Really sorry to hear that. Not sure what the repair is in your neck of the woods, I would suspect it would be the same as Germany, new frame? I didn't like the idea of a new frame, too many other systems being disturbed for my taste, though I doubt that is the way it would be fixed in the USofA anyway, I was pretty sure that if it came to that, I wouldn't get much cooperation out of KTM to change the frame myself. (My dealer is pretty good, but they have only worked on one 950 to date, that I know of.)

I wish I had a digicam at present (stolen) I would post pics of the repair I had done on mine. It came out really nice.
  18. KTMax

KTMax Ninth of the Nazgul

Oddometer:
    I'll find out what the procedure in Holland/Germany is today. I'm not too keen on swapping the entire frame either... :vardy

The strange thing is, the frames are unchanged since 2003. No mods, no updates, no nothing. Some good welding, maybe with a reinforcement plate or something would be my choice too. Let's wait and see.
  19. blouvalk

blouvalk Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Two bikes.Two cracks.One 11 000km one 18 000km. Thanks Barb!
  20. wittman

wittman n00b

Oddometer:
    Frame changed at Sommer last week. It takes 2 weeks for the work but at the end the result was outstanding. I run 2000 km from the date when I had back the bike and everything is ok.
    I'm really happy thanks Sommer