The CRF250L Owners thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by joec63, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Bolty

Bolty Señor Member

Oddometer:
    Not running heated grips on my CRF, I've got the Oxford ones on my Africa Twin and in the past two winters that I've run the bike through I did notice that the ends of my fingers were still cold (sometimes painfully so) so I thought that I'd try heated gloves, I'm using the Powerlet RapidFIRe ones but it's too soon to say if they are any better than the grips because the cold hasn't really arrived here yet. I've only used them twice so far just to try them out and the heat that they can give off is incredible, painful if they're whacked up to full power so I've got high hopes for them.

both times that I've used them I've had to faff around with the cables but I'm fairly sure that this is just because I'm not used to them.

I think that the gloves use slightly less power than heated grips too which may be handy for our little bikes!

Does anyone know how much extra power we have available from the charging system?
  2. battlecattle

battlecattle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We have a lot of power. Easily enough for heated gloves, jacket, gps, and cell charger.
  3. Bolty

Bolty Señor Member

Oddometer:
    I'm talking about available power for accessories not total power output BTW, heated jacket and gloves could take 130 watts, a couple of LED lights could take a further 20 watts, the gps and phone charger wouldn't tale more than an amp between then so add another 12 watts to the total, could mean a flat battery at some point...

Just done a bit of Googling...

looking at this link: http://www.powerlet.com/shop-by-vehicle/honda/2012/honda-crf250l-2012-present/10/879
    it only gives one star for excess electrical capacity, no numbers but the lowest mark they could give, and RickRamsey reckons it's 337W http://www.rickramsey.net/WR250RvsCRF250L.htm so we don't have masses of power to play with!
  4. battlecattle

battlecattle Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have an adventure bike with 400watts, and can run everything plus after swapping the headlight for LED.
  5. MTrider16

MTrider16 Ridin' in MT

Oddometer:
    Do you have the little heated gloves that run of AA or rechargeable batteries over there? My outdoors buddy's like them, and if I didn't get heated grips it would be the option I would pursue.

David
  6. Weevrider

Weevrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a set of the oxford heated grips and love them. I wear heavy leather gloves and only need the 50 percent setting or less to stay toasty warm. I do have Barkbusters though to cut down the wind chill. The switch is mounted on the left rear view mirror hold down bolts.
    I have the same grips on my Strom and they work just as well.
  7. Weevrider

Weevrider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does somebody know who is making side racks for the CRF250l. Wolfman appears to have stopped making them and I am looking for something simple like they used to make that are not part of the top rack.
  8. Lapchik

Lapchik Professional Neurotic

Oddometer:
    Does the IMS tank change the angle of the front of the seat?

[​IMG]
  9. Auto-X Fil

Auto-X Fil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Check out the DirtBagz racks in the above photo.
  10. Auto-X Fil

Auto-X Fil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not that I noticed. I certainly didn't have to force it on to bend the front up more, or anything like that. Overall, the knee grip area is improved over stock. That plus the new bars really make it more comfortable in the attack position.
  11. tilliejacques

tilliejacques gnarly girl Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    thanks for the answers, guys! I sure like the mirrors, signals, and looks of the HDB but am prioritizing some other upgrades first.

I have the same key problem. DH added some aluminum bar stock to the top clamp for grip switches and GPS power. This makes the key very hard to remove without whacking a knuckle. I have risers, too, and as Auto-X Fil says, I think it'd be pretty impossible to remove the key without the risers.

cheers
  12. tilliejacques

tilliejacques gnarly girl Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have some from a local bike shop but they look exactly like these from Aerostich here. I was recently on a morning ride in mid- to upper-30s and they worked *very* well; I actually had to turn them down to the Low setting halfway through the slab portion.

The switch location is on some bar stock sandwiched in the top clamp. I think the more important switch thing to tie into a keyed circuit!

cheers
  13. Bolty

Bolty Señor Member

Oddometer:
    I'm aware of the battery operated ones but the ones that I have are the Powerlet ones from these guys: http://www.adventure-spec.com/defau...-position-digital-temperature-controller.html

I reckon the battery operated ones will be great if you need to use them when away from the bike but I've never needed heated gloves apart from when I'm on my motorbike and I'm 50 odd years old, can't see a need for them for me!
  14. MTrider16

MTrider16 Ridin' in MT

Oddometer:
    I see an advantage of not needing wires. If you are also worried about the capability of the charging system, no load on the bikes stator.

David
  15. sanjoh

sanjoh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Woohoo fairing on the CRF:clap

[​IMG]

Anyone aware of plastic skidplate that protect the lower frame? Ordered the Cycra one on that is advertised as fitting L but it does not fit.
  16. SAPB

SAPB Long timer

Oddometer:
  17. BlueLghtning

BlueLghtning Riding is my passion

Oddometer:
    Peachtree City, GA and Full Time RV Travel
    The CRF250L has 335w. I would guess that you have at least 100w available at a cruising RPM.

I think gloves actually pull more watts than grips? Grips are nice if you hands just get a little chilly, but gloves do a much better job of actually keeping your hands warm in colder weather. Now a set of heated grips + hippo hands do a great job.
  18. Lost Roadie

Lost Roadie High-Tech Meets Low Class Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lake Isabella, CA USA / Mai Chau, Vietnam
    We've run a 77w Gerbings heated jacket liner + 35w heated grips all day with no issue last winter, there seems to be plenty of power left over to stay warm in cold weather on the LRP.
    I can't see the bike using more than 150w between lights, fuel pump, injector, and ECU, but haven't put an amp clamp on it.
    Speaking of, I remember seeing OEM honda heated grips a long ways back in this thread, maybe from someone in Japan, has anyone found a source for OEM heated grips in the USA or have a part #?

The el cheapo generic heated grips I installed just to get us through winter have failed and if I can get OEM ones I'd like to go that route. If not these Moose Racing ones have served me well on another bike.
  19. Tnutt

Tnutt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    For those of you who have changed over to the IMS tank, When you changed the OE fuel pump out of the OE fuel tank to the IMS tank, What did you do about the gasket? The OE tank has ridges with the studs in it, versus the IMS tank which has a flat surface where the gasket goes. I happened to have a motorcycle shop next door and he did not feel to comfortable using the same gasket cause you can't tighten it down to the right torque with out the gasket getting pushed out the sides. What did you torque the bolts too?
  20. Lapchik

Lapchik Professional Neurotic

Oddometer: