The Husaberg 70º FE Adventure Traveler Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Lost Roadie, Apr 18, 2012.

1. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:
    Hey Finn, I'm getting ready to outfit my 390 with full Wolfman for Lite-Camping. I already have some of the Wolfman stuff.

Questions, questions:

How was the Small expedition tank bag (that was the Small right or maybe a GL?) between the 2 Large Rolies? Did it get in your way at all?
    Probably more convenient than the small Rolie as a tankbag?

[​IMG]

Thinking about this for the rear (3 Medium Rolies or Small and Medium mix)

[​IMG]

using this rackless mount

[​IMG]

Using your front setup that would be about 25 liters in the back and 32 liters in the front.
    That should be enough on the Berg and still be tidy and trail rideable eh?
  2. BogeyMan

BogeyMan Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I shall try to report back on my setup shortly... I just purchased the "rackless mount" along with a medium rolie and 2 smalls...
  3. Lost Roadie

Lost Roadie High-Tech Meets Low Class Supporter

Oddometer:
    Lake Isabella, CA USA / Mai Chau, Vietnam

It's a GL, the smaller one.

It doesn't get in my way while sitting or standing, the mounting great.... if was actually waterproof it would be perfect, it's actually not even close to being water-resistant. :deal

Here's another video for 1 minute of free entertainment. :lol3

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/42519947?title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;portrait=0" width="920" height="518" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>
  4. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:
    1 min!! :huh guess I'm gonna have to buy the extended DVD series for the remaining 15 second! :deal :lol3
  5. Lost Roadie

Oddometer:
    Including your time to reply it was over 1 minute of free entertainment, or time lost forever out of your life you can't get back. :deal

Depends how you look at it. :rofl
  6. cyborg

Oddometer:
    Wolfman has a small 'Expedition" tankbag too, that's likely a lot more water resistant. They say it will let in a little water if you drown it in a creek, but otherwise with a large deep top cap/cover, no water gets in during the hardest downpours per the guys I know who've used them. The Rolie's are truly fully waterproof but a bit more work and slower to get into them.

I decided the two large rolie's would be plenty of stuff up front and there's not much seat/tank filler area on the front of the Berg's. Still messing with the configs.

Better be a rockin' movie after all the dramatic teasers! :deal :lol3
  7. nobrakes

nobrakes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lol, too funny!

But like most teasers, it leaves me wanting more. For that, I give it only one :thumb up. :lol3

Good stuff!
  8. cyborg

Oddometer:
    Great, I'll be interested how you like them. My stuff is in shipment.
  9. BogeyMan

BogeyMan Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, here I am reporting back... The small rolie bags (10L) are small... perhaps too small. The rackless mount is easy enough to setup, but in the ideal position, it blocks the seat catch. By that I mean that the section of the mount that sits on the tail, sits over a portion of the seat, making easy on/off of the seat problematic. I need to play with it a bit more before I "trail test" it.

Hey, Finn - [another] nice vid. I'm curious to know what GPS that is? I'm looking for a decent trail-riding GPS. Don't really need anything that tells me how to get places, just something that is good with topo maps and easy to use with gloves on.
  10. Lost Roadie

Oddometer:
    I was concerned about that rack-less mounting, it looked like it was too far forward and on the seat too much. Since it wasn't on a Husaberg I couldn't know.... interesting to see if you can come up with a way to move it back. looking forward to your experiments as I would like to replace the NOT waterproof GL Mojave bag on my tail.

The GPS is a Garmin Montana.
    It's pricey, but for ADV riding it does many things no other GPS does, making it very good for us.

10,000 track point limit per track - that's a lot of points compared to the 500 limit found on other popular models, and you can have an almost unlimited tracks in the unit.

It also has the ability to download TOPO and satellite imagery through Basecamp software (on your computer, then transfer) to make an excellent tool for ADV exploring. With the satellite imagery you can see trails and your surroundings detail that is on no maps.... very useful to find alternate routes or a good camping spot off the trail amount other things.

Here's a couple screen shots from the unit showing the imagery:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a TOPO example from when I downloaded 5 miles on either side of the Tour of Idaho 2 track:

[​IMG]

Here's the Montana thread with more than you really want to know about the unit:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688775
  11. Gany

Gany Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Finn, how well does the mojavi fit with reference to the seat? Would a base the same size and shape as the mojavi with a top designed to take the rollies work better? It wouldnt be hard to make one...pm to discuss?
  12. Lost Roadie

Oddometer:
    The GL bag fits well, could be easier to just have some webbing sewn to the GL bag, something to possible explore.
    Though making a new rack less mount with similar proportions as there GL would be cool too.
    Still waiting to see what these guys with the Wolfmans come up with, any photos of the rack on the FE would be appreciated.

First I need to get the skid plate/tool box thing sorted so I can lose the GL bag.... I wonder if the wolfman bags could go over the GL bag?....

While I have photos of the GL bag it also shows my new new seat.
    I ran into the guys from Seat Concepts after they did my seat and they told me they had an updated cover design they wanted to install. I had also thought that since I had the Low seat with less foam I could use firmer foam since it felt like I was hitting the pan now and then....
    When I asked about doing a blue on blue like the OEM seat they said they could stretch the OEM cover on the new, firmer, low foam.

I went with that option and am very happy with the firm seat and the look and feel of the OEM cover. :D
    Great customer service with these guys.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  13. cyborg

Oddometer:

Me likey the new seat cover! :thumb Very interested how you like it with some hard use since I saw you had an extra pad on the previous Seat Concepts seat.

I'll post up some pix when I get the Wolfman saddlebag harness, and I also own the Mojavi, so can compare.
  14. Lost Roadie

Oddometer:
    Thanks!

Let's not get crazy here, I don't leave home for long (pavement) days on any bike with any seat without my Airhawk.
    It's just that good comparatively, even with a big custom saddle like on my road bike. Some habits are hard to break, the hell with how funny it looks to have one a on dirt bike, my butt thanks me. :evil
    I spent all day riding on sunday sitting down half the time and had no issues with comfort on the SC seat, but if I had to bang out long highway miles I would have brought the pad.
    I don't want to give the impression that the SC needs a pad to be comfy, it's just my way to travel.

Looking forward to your comparisons since you will have all the pieces. :thumb
  15. Gany

Gany Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry if i missed his already, what sort of service intervals are you guys doing since you arent racing these bikes? Any plans for additional oil via a cooler or some such or does it have enough stock for extended intervals?
  16. cyborg

Oddometer:
    Hey Finn, so some quick'n dirty pix to show the GL vs WM saddle bag fitting. I did not go to a lot of effort to fully strap down the WM harness tightly but it is in the right place for the pix.

You already know how the GL MoJavi fits, but for others it basically it wraps around the seat rear and does allow the seat to come off.

[​IMG]

The Wolfman rackless saddlebag harness can also fit under the edge of the rear seat, but it prevents proper usage of the the large center strap. You could mount this way and go with two Medium Rolies on the sides, and maybe a Small Rolie on top or something small enough on top not to block the seat coming off.

[​IMG]

When it is on top of the seat, you can see all will work normally.

[​IMG]

Here is a Medium Rolie strapped on top, just center strap, Rolie side straps not installed yet, which would be a much firmer tie-down. This is just a quick-fit.

[​IMG]

Here is 3 Medium Rolies strapped on, again with just center straps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope that helps to illustrate a little bit.

I don't see any real reason to lift the seat up very often other than to look at fuses or air filter, since it has no storage under there otherwise.
  17. Cruz

Cruz Lost but laughing.

Oddometer:
    1500-2000 klm depending on the riding and weather for oil and oil filter changes.
  18. mrt10x

mrt10x Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer:
    bike holds almost 2 qts from the factory..which is more than a comparable KTM.. but an oil cooler would be nice..get another qt or 1.5 qts on the bike.. push those oil changes out even farther... One of the Husaberg Adventure Team guys is riding a 570 up from South America to Montana.. I am following him on facebook.. very interested to hear about his maintenance procedures.. i.e. oil changes and valve checks.
  19. mrt10x

mrt10x Dumba$s Jarhead

Oddometer:
    Will be very interested to see if the rear subframe will take that much weight.. have you ridden with it much? Do you have the 70 degree tank on the bike?
  20. cyborg

Oddometer:
    Yes I have the 70 degree tank which has threaded inserts. The PEX (cross-linked polyethylene) subframes are very strong, as shown by several riders who are traveling with them now and the Dakar bikes which loaded rear saddle fuel tanks on and those are heavy. The Medium Rolies aren't really that big and I won't be loading lead ingots into them, mostly just dry food or camping gear. It's an experiment I want to try.