Helicopters R Us

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by Weirdo, Dec 23, 2004.

1. v8toilet

v8toilet Nothing to see here.

Oddometer:
    I looked like that at 28, 19-21 year-olds fight wars, but that's a different discussion. The car driver was probably 100+ lbs heavier than the pilot.
  2. AerialCameras

AerialCameras Awkward Boner

Oddometer:
    I lost my right seater this morning. Best pilot and best friend. We just finished up with a shoot a week or so ago in Chicago and then he went home for a break before this job. I don't know if there will ever be anyone I can trust with my life like I could David. A very sweet and gentle soul. I'm booking a flight to Cali now. If anyone here knows DG, maybe I'll see you this week around VNY.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/10/helicopter-crash-acton_n_2658390.html

[​IMG]

He was also my left seater too.

[​IMG]
  3. Hardware02

Hardware02 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Aw crap.

Sorry about your friend.

RIP, Sir...
  4. datol

datol n00b and improved!

Oddometer:
    I just heard this afternoon from some friends in the industry.

Always sad.

Dane
  5. jdgretz

jdgretz Looking for new places Supporter

Oddometer:
    Canoga Park - A great place to live work and shop
    Ah man, that just sucks.

I'm near VNY - give a shout if you need anything.

jdg
  6. Spad

Spad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I saw that article and was afraid they'd be known to people on this thread, small world that y'all have.

Sorry for your loss, and best wishes to the families of all in that crash.

- Spad
  7. GSPeP

GSPeP Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This did go wrong ... luckily no one got hurt

Helicopter Crash Caught On Camera - Top Gear Korea

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6EsoWpTO2qg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  8. pilot815

pilot815 Long timer

Oddometer:
    NTSB preliminary: http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/brief.aspx?ev_id=20120217X34147&key=1

Sent from my Samsung Note 10.1
  9. UnderNewOwnership

UnderNewOwnership Thread Slayer

Oddometer:
  10. Shadow10

Shadow10 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. jtb

jtb Long timer

Oddometer:
    Two up... that is some close air support!
  12. jdgretz

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a hydraulics hard over. Basically the valves on the hydraulics controls ceased functioning and jammed the controls. Sometimes recycling the on/off switch for the hydraulic control system will unstick the pump/valves but you do need a couple of seconds to do that. If that does not work, you can try pulling the circuit breaker and punching it back in. If neither of those work, you turn off the system, pull the circuit breaker and both pilots try to wrestle the system into some sort of flyable configuration. The Cobra has an emergency accumulator/hydraulic pump that can be turned on to provide hydraulic power for a very limited time. It is normally used only on final approach as you don't get much use out of it, so it is a last resort sort of thing.

Cobras also have a stability augmentation system that the old UH-1 does not have which also complicates matters. See http://www.liberatedmanuals.com/TM-1-1520-236-CL.pdf or TM 55-1520-236-10 page 322 for more information.

A simple hydraulics failure as opposed to the hard over is much easier to deal with. In the simple situation, the pump just quits pumping but everything else works - no closed valves, etc. Not a lot of fun, but flyable and pilots do train on those maneuvers.

I know many of the folks at the Army Aviation Heritage Foundation (flew with some of them as well back in they day) and all their pilots are very experienced and capable.

jdg
  13. GunshipDriver

GunshipDriver Coming to America!!!

Oddometer:
    Reversals at low altitudes and low airspeeds are never a good idea imo. I know of other H-1s that have been planted by highly trained and capable pilots. It will be interesting to note how the AMB investigation goes in regards to what they do or don't find in their further examination of the mechanical system to include hydraulics and scas.
  14. Elvis70

Elvis70 No speed traps in the sky

Oddometer:
    Sorry about the loss of your crew mate and friend.
  15. Vagabond_Explorer

Vagabond_Explorer Relax_Unwind_Chill

Oddometer:
    I looked carefully at the video - it doesn't look like the pilot had a hydraulics failure. It looked like he was in perfect control of the attitude right until the crash. However, I am just speculating. To me, it looked like he misjudged the height - however I am willing to be corrected. jdgretyz - are you talking about recycling the SACS (at the bottom of the cyclic grip) rather the the actual hydraulic system? As you know, Cobras will fly without the SACS but there's less stability. Just wondering...
  16. fireflyr

fireflyr HIPster Doofus

Oddometer:
    I agree. I doubt they will find anything wrong with the hydraulic / flight control system. I had a irreversible valve failure in a 205A1++ while in a left turn and it tried to roll over on its back. The cyclic locked to the left (where it had been displaced for the turn) and I was only able to move it when the reservoir on the roof replenished the servo. I got the cyclic centered and then turned off the hydraulic switch and landed the aircraft in a field. I've had 4 complete hydraulic failures over the years and never crashed.

In my opinion, he just attempted the maneuver too close to the ground.

Disclaimer: We all know what opinions are worth.:evil
  17. jdgretz

Oddometer:
    No, actually hitting the circuit breakers for the hydraulics control system. Sometimes recycling the power to the system will get the valves or pump working again.

The emergency procedures called out include:

• Emergency Hydraulic Pump Switch - OFF (pilot and gunner)
    • Hydraulic Control Circuit Breaker - IN
    • SCAS - Disengage appropriate Channel
      • System 1 - Yaw
      • System 2 - Roll and Pitch
    • Emergency Hydraulic Pump Switch - On for final approach
    The above is for a single channel failure. For a dual channel failure, you shut the whole system down using either the SCAS button or the SCAS Control Panel.

You should have circuit breakers for Hydraulic Control (main pump power), SCAS Power and Emergency Hydraulic Pump Power on the Essential Buss Circuit Breaker Panel as well as SCAS Power on the 115v.

If the standard emergency procedures don't work, recycling the main SCAS power will sometimes work. Given enough time, altitude and airspeed, you try them all. Hopefully something will knock some sense back into the hydraulic system.

Remember - punching the button on the cyclic will disengage the entire SCAS system which then needs to be re-engaged using the switches on the SCAS Control Panel.

I spent a bunch more hours in the UH-1 than the AH-1 and did my test pilot training in the UH-1 so my thinking runs that way first. Speaking of hydraulics rather than SCAS is a bit easier for someone who is not familiar with the peculiarities of the Cobra.

I too am curious to see what the tear down analysis of the hydraulic system show. Did he misjudge or did the hydraulics lock up? His initial statement to the board seems to indicate a failure of some sort.

jdg
  18. EvilGenius

EvilGenius 1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer:
    The new EC 175 just flew in to start off the US demo tour.

[​IMG]

(Not my pic)

Quieter than I expected, short than I expected too.
  19. Vagabond_Explorer

Vagabond_Explorer Relax_Unwind_Chill

Oddometer:
    What is the interior like? Sometimes I feel like the cheapest Japanese cars have better quality than EC's interior. The AS350 has a plastic roof that caves in when the aircraft is parked outside in 100 deg F heat. The plastic that covers the pillar between the 2 windscreen perspex sags till it hits the instrument panel when exposed to direct sunlight.

The new energy absorbing seats are more uncomfortable than a wooden bar stool in a cheap hotel in Bangkok. At the hint of the smallest amount of rain, the windscreens or roof perspex or windows or chin bubbles lets water in.

They are fantastic powerful machines. If only Bell did the maintenance and any Jap car companies did the interior.

Just some personal experiences on EC's 350's, 120's, 135's, 130's, 355's, 145's, 117's. etc.
  20. EvilGenius

EvilGenius 1.5 Finger Discount

Oddometer:
    I couldn't get close enough to see inside so I couldn't tell ya. Since it's a demo craft I wouldn't be surprised if it was really nice. We do have the capability of putting in really nice seats and interiors, but those are pricey and not much of a concern for most customers I do know what you mean by the regular seats though.

Dunno what to tell you about the drooping panels. I noticed they're a little thin when I used to prep them for shipping, but some genius though it was a good idea to face our hangar south and during the summer where it routinely hits 100+ for months during that time and I haven't heard of those issues.

I agree about the maintenance. I love disecting tech pubs that are written in two different countries whose languages I don't speak and have almost totally opposite ideologies about how to setup manuals and what constitutes relevant information. :lol3