Down Texas Way

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by Mudclod, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Mudclod

Mudclod Mojo Moto

Oddometer:
    Having a job that doesn't allow much vacation, I take advantage of regular day trips here in Texas and never leave the state. It's so diverse that you can choose a different climate practically every weekend. I like to follow weather patterns and ride in area's that appeal the most. August here is usually brutal but we've had a couple cold fronts this summer. After a couple days of good rain temps dropped into the 60's and 90's. A good friend, Whitneymike and I took advantage and ran some farmland that had just been harvested (corn) and were deserted.

[​IMG]

I picked Mike up out front of his little place outside of Dawson.

[​IMG]

We encountered many old wooden bridges still in use and some that weren't.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mudclod

Mudclod Mojo Moto

Oddometer:
    We headed towards a small lake in Navarro county that is known to have some desolate area's and were not disappointed.

[​IMG]

We saw one of the coolest plaques I've ever seen. Old GW Savage had ten of his own and was credited with helping to populate the county? I'll bet, ha!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Race Ready likes this.
  3. Mudclod

Mudclod Mojo Moto

Oddometer:
    We passed the bank at high noon in Dawson and it read only 84*. Our lucky day. After exploring the Lake, it was back to the awesome farm roads and home. A nice change from the gravel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. Mudclod

Mudclod Mojo Moto

Oddometer:
    Well here it is mid-September and it's still hot. Triple digits. I needed to polish off a rear tire on the mighty VStrom so I could prepare it for the Fall riding season so off Mike and I went to Limestone County.

[​IMG]

Mike had to stop at the bank in Leroy for a quick deposit...or was it a withdrawl?

[​IMG]

Mike routed us through the cotton fields as he's an ol' cottonpicker!

[​IMG]

We took a break at scenic Lake Mexia.

[​IMG]

Also skirted beautiful Fort Parker.

[​IMG]
  5. Mudclod

Mudclod Mojo Moto

Oddometer:
    Next everything deteriorated fast. I wanted to show Mike a shortcut around New Lake Mart which ended up being quite the adventure.

Following the Lake shore we hit a spot of quicksand and on a slick tire that was all she wrote!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We were able to retrieve the lighter KLR but no such luck with my beached whale.

[​IMG]

We each had a strap and after removing all my bags and some digging attempted to extract it with the use of Mike's KLR to no avail.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Our brains were frying in the heat so we decided to throw in the towel and double up on the KLR and ride into town and get a truck, and COLD BEER! I was frightened that someone would find my bike before our return and claim it but we were fortunate. After snapping the straps several times, success!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My lovely trailer queen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. psmcd

psmcd Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looks like you passed. What a workout. Plus heat. Motorcycles keep us healthy.:lol3
  7. bigdon

bigdon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Atta Boy Mudclod !!!! :freaky
  8. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    :freaky
  9. AirforceGSRider244

AirforceGSRider244 Hardcore adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thats how my dad taught me to ride offroad when i was younger. it rained the previous day and i had my 2009 Klr 650. he took me through some trails and he zoomed on through a mud bog. and then i tried to go through it for and hour.
    :muutt
    he made me go through it several times until i got it. it was reallllly hot and i had to pull that bit*h out almost the whole time. i learned how to eventually though so good on him. :evil:1drink
  10. Mudclod

Mudclod Mojo Moto

Oddometer:
    I really should have known better, but it looked like I was above the "damp" line of the lake. Taught me another lesson in preparation though, block and tackle? Winch? TRAVEL LIGHTER!
  11. psmcd

psmcd Long timer

Oddometer:
    I got my lesson trying to ride what looked dry above a receding reservoir level. We were having great fun playing flat tracker, expanding loops until the path resulted in sudden bog and flight over the bars. Thigh deep mud and dragging the bikes (250 enduros) 50 yards to solid ground. I can't imagine the wrangle it took with the big bikes.
  12. Tex83

Tex83 Motersykle Advntyers

Oddometer:
    Great stuff Mud!! :clap
  13. WhitneyMike

WhitneyMike ---

Oddometer:
    My lesson learned.. Stay back and pick your own line..

Four things saved the day, determination, muds skill to ride two up, beer, and mule tape..
  14. McRuss

McRuss Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, at least you had MUD....we've been getting stuck in DUST that deep until the last couple days! My lake (Medina) is only 4% full but the Mexico moisture is working its way up here, maybe we'll get a few inches tomorrow (forcast anyway.)

PS, sometimes I wish I could ride in shorts and a T shirt.....but then I hit a deer on my KLR at 50 and was really glad for ATGATT!
  15. blake716

blake716 nine toes

Oddometer:
    Looks like fun. :lol3
  16. Mudclod

Mudclod Mojo Moto

Oddometer:
    It sure was (up to this point!)
  17. Mudclod

Mudclod Mojo Moto

Oddometer:
    An approaching "weather event" coming from the west prompted us to head east to Freestone county. Notable for the town of Wortham, home of the outdoor MXGP track that was on the calendar up until this last season. They had just received 5 inches of rain and water was standing everywhere with temps in the 90's, spring like conditions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Mudclod

Mudclod Mojo Moto

Oddometer:
    We had to cut the ride short due to a tire and tube malfunction (flat) that WhitneyMike experienced while riding the Trinity River valley. Much like riding through a postcard, we will certainly pick up where we left of soon!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pleasant Grove
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Watching for bears while Mike works on tire.

[​IMG]
  19. PHOTON PHIL

PHOTON PHIL THe REAL poser

Oddometer:
    I lived in Texas for 22 yrs. Good times. Thanks for sharing .
  20. Mudclod

Mudclod Mojo Moto

Oddometer:
    Big state Phil!