Dirtbike rentals in Philippines

Discussion in 'Asia' started by rickypanecatyl, Apr 29, 2014.

1. rickypanecatyl

rickypanecatyl SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer:
    I need to be in Tacloban next week for work but was going to stay an extra week or two for vacation.

Any ideas where to rent dirt bike or dual sport bikes in that area and/or Luzon, Cebu?

Any fun off road rides to recommend?

Thanks!
  2. GreyThumper

GreyThumper Long timer

Oddometer:
    You might want to do an ADV tour with PAR Motorrad. They can do anything from day trips to multiday tours.

https://www.facebook.com/PARMotorrad?fref=ts

It's owned and run by Philippe Saubier. You can contact him through PAR Motorrad's FB page or his own FB account.
  3. AdvMoto18

AdvMoto18 NORDO

Oddometer:
    Coastal SC Low Country / Land of Shrimp & Grits
    My son just spent 8 months in Cebu City and Siargao. Unfortunately, PI laws/tariff structure greatly limits what is imported into the islands. Thus, most Japanese and Chinese manufacturers setup PI factories to assemble motorcycles. A 250cc is a BIG motorcycle in the PI. Most are of the 125cc variety. He never did find any suitable rentals.

We considered buying this PI built Honda.

In the end just rode scooters everywhere. Scooters are on every island and get much better fuel economy given the ~1.50USD per Liter gas. Gas is sold predominately in 1L glass Coke bottles. You will see the stands along side the road. Only buy the orange dyed gas!
  4. raj914

raj914 Short Timer

Oddometer:
  5. rickypanecatyl

Oddometer:
    Wow - just looked up the specs on that bike - looks like it 35lbs heavier than the XR200R! Or 40lbs heavier than our Indonesian made KLX150!
  6. rickypanecatyl

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Just sent him a message!

7. rickypanecatyl

Oddometer:
    Interesting about the 400cc rule... I'm wondering if it will turn into a pain like Bangkok was for me. I didn't realize in Bangkok that no bikes are allowed on the expressways/toll ways but I went on them anyways and had a lot of issues with the cops looking for tips!

So does anyone know how strict the 400cc rule is? I was hoping to rent a smaller/lighter bike; if I came across a XR400 or DR400 that'd be perfect. But in all reality both the bikes I believe are 398cc - can they go on the expressways?
  8. YnotJP?

YnotJP? Long timer

Oddometer:
    The chances of getting thru the toll booth to enter the expressway are slim. If you are with a large group of big bikes you maybe able to slip thru. The two smaller bikes that are better all round would most likely be the Honda XR 200 or the Honda CRF 250L.

The Philippines is a great place to ride. But, whatever you ride, don't ride after dark. Come and enjoy the PHILIPPINES.
  9. GreyThumper

GreyThumper Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't think they'd bother to stop you and check your registration. As long as it says "400" somewhere on the bike, you're good to go. Heck, a friend has a KTM 390 (and it clearly says "390" on the tank) and they don't have any problems with freeways.
  10. raj914

raj914 Short Timer

Oddometer:
    Agree with this one, the KTM duke 390 is registered 400cc on registration but reality its sub 400 :rofl
  11. rickypanecatyl

Oddometer:
    That's good to know! 370 something cc's and here in Malaysia by the far the cheapest bike in that range and quickly becoming the most popular!

I think if I lived in Manila and Dukes were spreading like they are in KL and I'd go into business selling 390 stickers for the 200 and 125! Not only does it make your bike look cooler to your friends but it enables you to use the expressways!
  12. rickypanecatyl

Oddometer:
    A couple random non-motorcycle questions:

What's the phone/internet situation like in the Philippines? Are new SIM cards cheap? Is there a best SIM card for Tacloban/Ormoc/Cebu/Manila in regards to reception and internet speeds?

I think I'll be renting a bike from "NICE bike" which is in Angeles and appears to be a ways north of the Airport I'm flying into - Ninoy Aquino. I'm traveling light - best way to get up there?

Oh and final motorcycle question - so I'll probably be renting a XR200 there - possibly a CRF250L; haven't ridden either. I'm guessing the XR is better off and the CRF better on road? Any thoughts?

I'll be riding up visiting a friend in Santiago city North of Manila and hoping to pass thru Baguio on the way (as I miss cold weather!)...
    Any fun more serious off road places to ride in that stretch of Northern Luzon?

Thanks!
  13. rgon

rgon explore cordilleras

Oddometer:
    you may try this route:
    Angeles, Pampanga - Baguio City via Mc Arthur highway all the way to Rosario then on to Baguio via Kennon Road.
    Baguio City to Abatan via Halsema highway (pavement)
    Abatan to Tinoc, rough/dirt/rocks.
    Tinoc to Kiangan, dirt.
    Kiangan down to Lamut-Bagabag-Cordon-Santiago City.

give me a buzz while in Baguio. my garage is open for butt rest and of -course a free bottomless brewed coffee :D goodluck! rgon, 09158482730
    btw, bring your rain gears. .

[​IMG]

Type of road from Abatan (Halsema highway side) to Tinoc, Ifugao
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tinoc to Kiangan, Lagawe, Ifugao
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

...go for the CRF250, lots of power and headlight is very bright. I survived Kibungan's rough roads with this bike, two up plus luggage.
    [​IMG]
  14. Rackemcrackem

Rackemcrackem Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer:
    I don't have much advice regarding phone cards but Globe and Smart sim cards are used widely around the Phils. You can buy them everywhere. I just use a cheap 'dumb' phone that I bought in the Phils with a Smart card. The phone was about P1000 at one of the malls.

From NAIA, you can take a taxi to the bus terminals in Pasay City, metro Manila, and catch an inexpensive bus to Angeles City (Dau terminal) from there. There are also terminals in Cubao (metro Manila) but it's further from the airport. The 5-Star or Victory Liner buses run at all hours and fares are very cheap ( p150 or under $4.00US, Pasay to Dau, the last time I rode) . Just board a bus that's loading up and the driver's helper will take your money after the bus is rolling. Depending on Manila traffic, expect about 1.5 - 2 hours to Dau.

The airport taxi drivers will try to rip you off but a metered rate to Pasay City should be about p200 or less (it's a fairly short taxi ride). Many will refuse to use a meter or complain that it's "very traffic" and will negotiate a rate but you should not pay more than p250 maximum. A few are flat-out thieves and I don't recommend putting gear in the trunk of airport taxis, if you can avoid it. Also, have a selection of coins and small bills for taxi and tricycle drivers. If you have only larger bills, many of them will claim they "have no change" and gouge you for the fare. I like to tip the honest drivers in the hope they will stay that way.

The tricycle drivers in Angeles City are like a little mafia gang and will have a fixed minimum rate of p100 (probably p15-25 any other place in the Phils) from the Dau bus terminal to Nice Bike, just a short trip of maybe 1.5 km. You could take a jeepney for a lot less, maybe p10-15, then just a final 3 blocks, or so, on Walking Street to Nice Bike at Field's Avenue.

Another option would be to hire a driver to take you to AC. Most of the Manila hotels have one or will contact a driver for you. It isn't necessary, though, as the buses are fine (mostly, haha!) and a private driver will probably charge at least p2500-3000 for the ride.

If you want good paper maps of the Phils, go to the SM (SuperMall) where National Bookstore has good maps of all the islands, provinces, Baguio, etc. You will want good maps or good GPS data, if available. The SM is an easy 0.5 km walk from Nice Bike. Try not to get lost looking at and talking with all the hot Pinays on the way there in A.C. (or do go ahead and get lost, depending on your sense of adventure!). :evil
  15. Rackemcrackem

Rackemcrackem Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer:
    I've ridden an XR200 but not a CRF250 so take my free comments for what they're worth. The XR200 rental bikes are a little lighter but are likely to have a lot of kms under their wheels. They will get the job done but your route will take you on some roads where a little more passing power is usually very desireable. Also, the stock XR seats will take karmic revenge for any and all sins committed during your past, present, or future incarnations. :lol3

The CRF would be my choice but I have no knowledge as to whether Honda has improved it's seat. Hopefully, Nice Bike will have installed a rear rack of some sort. They offer use of a topcase for their larger bikes but I don't think one will mount to the XR rack. A small tank bag is very useful (or tank panniers) if you can bring one with you to the Phils.

I recommend bringing tire tools and a couple of basic wrenches, screwdrivers, etc. There are lots of "Vulcanizer" tire repair shops in the provinces but they can't always be counted on for proper tools or for spare tubes if a tube is completely beyond repair.

Tess, the owner's wife, and Ryan, the mechanic are very helpful. Ryan works hard for his pay so I like to give a generous tip. Same with all other Filipino service workers, although most don't expect one and are very grateful.
  16. rickypanecatyl

Oddometer:
    Wow guys - thanks so much for the info! Great stuff - and yes you were right about getting ripped off! I got quoted anywhere from 3500 - 6000 for a taxi from the airport to Angeles.

I got a bad attitude and took jeepneys and a bus instead.

I'm at nice now...sadly they don't have any CRF250 - choice it's between the xr200 or a Honda Transalp.

Sent from my C5502 using Tapatalk
  17. YnotJP?

YnotJP? Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have a good ride.
  18. raj914

raj914 Short Timer

Oddometer:
    Nice to know that you are now about to enjoy your trip. Be safe and don't forget to take alot of pictures :evil Be safe and just in case you have spare time here in Manila and when I am free, I might be able to meet you.

:clap
    -raj
  19. rickypanecatyl

Oddometer:
    Thanks Raj! Rgon I'm heading up to Baguio now - I'll give you a call when I'm in the area and take you up on that coffee!

Sent from my C5502 using Tapatalk
  20. rgon

rgon explore cordilleras

Oddometer:
    goodluck and be safe , rickypanecatyl!

the garage will be open :D 24hrs for you

btw, if you are coming from Marcos Hwy, you can reach me by turning right to Balacbac (watchout, there are two roads on the right -take the second) road before proceeding to the town's center, Baguio City proper. the landmarks are the Police station and Petron Gas station in Greenvalley Junction. Check the landmarks after the viaduct in Marcos Hwy.
    my location is about 250 meters from the Greenvalley junction.