FJR1300 Thread

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Putts, Nov 4, 2008.

1. clocklaw

clocklaw Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you don't buy it, someone else will get one heck of a deal!
  2. kbuckey

kbuckey Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Picked up a 2013 on the 26th of January. Snowing outside right now otherwise I'd be riding it. Love it so far. Man, I thought my ZRX had torque. Rode them back to back last weekend, the FJR is just a torque monster. And light on her feet for such a big girl, too.
  3. jules083

jules083 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's only $2000 more than I paid for an 07 with 16,000 miles a year and a half ago.

All typos and misspellings blamed on my phone.
  4. andoulli

andoulli CAJUN

Oddometer:
    Ok got it, just wanted some feedback. I'm going for it first thing Tuesday morning.
  5. andoulli

andoulli CAJUN

Oddometer:
    Quick back story, two surgeries in my left hand prevents me from operating the clutch lever without pain. Been looking at maxi scooter options, NC700X DCT, Aprilia Mana, even some standard bikes with a light clutch action like the wee-Strom.

The AE was not on my radar screen because I don't see many for sale. But shit, I can't pass this up. Any negatives I need to consider?
  6. Rider

Rider Spectacularly Correct

Oddometer:
    None that I'm aware of.
    To my knowledge the electric clutch worked just fine, it just wasn't particularly popular, particularly considering it added cost to the bike.
    It would be a fantastic option for you, given your left hand limitations. Snap it up!!!
  7. andoulli

andoulli CAJUN

Oddometer:
    Thanks all for the quick response. I don't think they are open on Monday, but will call just to make sure.
  8. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    My friend has an AE with the electric clutch. He loves it. Can use either the foot shifter or the thumb operated shifters on the handlebar. I think he had to make some adjustments to the system to prevent it from juddering during low speed takeoffs or manuevering where the system has to slip the clutch a lot.

He's had zero problems with it since.
  9. pyrate

pyrate Walking the plank

Oddometer:
    Anyone have the '13 with the stock heated grips able to compare with aftermarket ones the previously used on an earlier model? I'm curious if its easy or worth it to buy the '13 grips to install on an older ('08) bike.
  10. B.E. Coyote

B.E. Coyote (Super-Genius)

Oddometer:

How much are they?
  11. mikeysduck

mikeysduck Slow Ride to Nowhere

Oddometer:
    HTML:
    Anyone have the '13 with the stock heated grips
     able to compare with aftermarket ones the previously used 
    on an earlier model? I'm curious if its easy or worth it to buy
     the '13 grips to install on an older ('08) bike.
    I have an 06. I installed Honda ST1300 grips. They run around 118 F on high, about 7 F hotter than the 2008 Goldwing I had. I also used the ST bar end weights. They are heaver than the Yamaha's and took some of the buzzzzzzz out of the bars.

This was a good choice for me.
  12. pyrate

pyrate Walking the plank

Oddometer:
    Thanks. I'll check that out.
  13. 20valves

20valves Yamaholic

Oddometer:
    The 2013 grips wouldn't work on an earlier model since they are controlled from the LH switch.

I had an '06 with the factory grips installed on it and they worked great with the controller on the fairing panel below the clutch lever. If you see a 2010 or newer FJR (stock heated grips) that's what the install looks like.
  14. pyrate

pyrate Walking the plank

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Just bought it so trying to sort some options.
  15. madeouttaglass

madeouttaglass Hippie Ki Yay! Humboldt changed my life.

Oddometer:
    The Lost Coast of California, occasionally AZ
    I know that Hollink Honda in Rochester NY is also heavily discounting an AE that is brand new but about an '07. It was still there yesterday. (and last year, and the year before that, and...) I don't know your location so it may not matter.
    I knew someone who's brother also bought one for medical reasons and loved it.
  16. ______

______ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I say that is $1300 less than I paid for an '09 AE last June. I had some trouble adjusting to the handlebar angle, but got over it without making changes to the bike. I thought I had developed carpel tunnel after a couple weeks of riding. The problem was that I was putting to much weight on my arms. 9,000 miles later I'm quite happy.
  17. andoulli

andoulli CAJUN

Oddometer:
    Well it turns out the one I see locally, the non current, is actually a 2007 as well. A full 2 years older than I previously thought. The dealer is not open on Monday, and may be closed Tuesday as well, Mardi Gras you know. Seems like excellent used examples of 2007 AEs sell for around $8500 or so retail. Correct me if I am wrong on that. I know this bike is a non current, not new, and comes with all the possible problems that can show up after sitting for six years. So I may make an offer, I certainly won't pay $10,300, but still I'm somewhat at a loss to figure out what it's worth now. I'm thinking maybe $9,500. Is that too much?
  18. CordR

CordR Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hey All,

Just wondering what the collective wisdom from the masses is on routing wires for a battery tender and heated gloves is?

Are people running it under the tank? Or zip tying to a part of the frame?

I bought my '06 last summer but an injury kept me from riding much this fall/winter. Just getting into some of the minor mods now.

Thanks,

Cord
  19. fred flintstone

fred flintstone Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is an OEM retrofit kit for heated grips, part # ABA-2D237-40-00, they run 300-400, ex:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-2006-2012-Yamaha-FJR1300-Heated-Grip-Warmer-Kit-ABA-2D237-40-00-/110891366751?hash=item19d1a3f95f&item=110891366751&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

I have been considering this for mine
  20. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    As mentioned above, heated grips from '13 won't work on previous models.

The OEM heated grips are wider than after market heated grips from Oxford for example, so if you go for aftermarket grips, you will have a gap between the switchgear and the grips. FWIW, I have the same yamaha heated grips on my SuperTenere and in the full on position, they get so hot, I have to turn them down, plus they are pretty much plug'n'play, the bike is pre-wired for them.