Slash 2

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by danedg, Mar 22, 2010.

1. jcf

jcf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Winter is just not ending fast enough....

[​IMG]
  2. danedg

danedg Horizontally Opposed

Oddometer:
    I needed that. My original intention was to post a fresh picture of a /2 every day.
    If it was my bike, it didn't matter. Your bike is even better.!:clap

[​IMG]
  3. jcf

jcf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Don't know if it's better than yours but I do kinda like it.

Let's hope we get them out there before too long.
  4. danedg

Oddometer:
  5. danedg

Oddometer:
    How comfy is that pillion?:ear
  6. jcf

jcf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You know, I don't know, I just realized I have never sat on it myself and have not asked anyone who has ridden on it -never had any complaints.

I am guessing you're in the Hudson Valley area ?

I grew up on the New York side of the Berkshires, not too far from Hudson.
    Folks still there so back often.
  7. Renner

Renner combustophile Supporter

Oddometer:
    last year a fellow Airhead gave me this license plate for $15, with the registration tube. :clap
    I just recently managed to get it accepted by the DMV. :knary and mounted this (rainy) afternoon.

[​IMG]

The previous plate was a bit of an annoyance.

[​IMG]

I feel better now. :D
  8. danedg

Oddometer:
    New York State had no problem with the vintage plate. The Insurance company now has unreasonable expectations about the use of the bike... 1500 miles a year and only to the bike shows!:huh
    I might have to disconnect the speedometer for a bit.:deal

[​IMG]
  9. danedg

Oddometer:
    This IS better...

[​IMG]
  10. danedg

Oddometer:
  11. bill42

bill42 Old-School BMWs

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

(photo taken last year... still waiting for winter to end)
  12. danedg

Oddometer:

WOW!
    That's a nice R50!:D

Too bad there's nowhere to slap a NYS inspection sticker on that OTHER bike:freaky
  13. jcf

jcf Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And the beater ain't bad either !!!!!

Hey danedg - is that latest of yours taken at the Hudson railyard ?
  14. bill42

bill42 Old-School BMWs

Oddometer:
    Ah, you got me! How can that crappy R7 be my beater bike if it isn't even registered! Well, you figured it out- she's just a trailer queen, never yet really ridden on a single public road probably well, ever. My R50 on the other hand was ridden all over the country by my parents and they put 60,000 miles on it. I added another 3000 since restoring it. The R50 is my only working bike that I own. (The R7 was visiting NY and stayed at my friend's house for a week where I took that photo and a bunch more)
  15. danedg

Oddometer:
    That would have been just offa Rt.28 right around Phoenicia. The Catskill Mountain Railway project was doing well (they were giving train rides) until Irene wiped out a coupla sections of rail, when the Esopus Creek turned into the Esopus Torrent!:eek1
    Those cars haven't moved much for a couple of years but they are rebuilding! Taking a ride on the old steamer is fast on the "Bucket List"!:clap

It's just up the road from this...

[​IMG]

Home of the Worlds Largest Kaleidoscope !
  16. URAL CT

URAL CT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 1968 R60 US...owned it since new. I'm looking for a decent side stand that will not bend when I kick start with the side stand deployed. The after market side stand I bought is a POS. Lost the stock stand I modified after giving it to a friend to be upgraded...friend passed away :cry while I was overseas on business. Family sold all his tools & other stuffs.
    I use to set it on the center stand and everything is peachy. I'm getting too old now to be lifting the bike onto it's center stand:gerg it's becoming to be a chore. Any suggestion would be appreciate. I've seen some good one on this threat but dunno if they'll hold up to the task.
    Cheers,
    Charlie T
  17. bill42

bill42 Old-School BMWs

Oddometer:
    Charlie, as a newer owner of a /2, I've been scolded by the wise men like YOU, when I once tried to start mine in the side stand. When you do that you are stressing the frame of the bike and the side stand shaft. If you can't deploy the center stand (which doesn't really require any lifting if you set up your passenger peg correctly- just a bend of your leg as you roll the bike backwards), then at least take the pressure off the side stand when you step on the kick start arm. I personally would be more worried about knocking my bike over when trying to start while tilted. If that happens one day you could hurt yourself and hurt your back when you have to pick the bike up too. But again, I want to point out that putting a slash2 up on the center stand for me requires less effort and strength then starting the bike. Are you not planting your leg at just the right angle and using it as a lever?
  18. URAL CT

URAL CT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the input bill42... My issue is that I'm not just advanced in age (old) :D, I'm also short (5'5"). To kick start the bike when it's on the center stand (my preferred method), I stand on the passenger peg with my right foot & give a swift kick to the lever downwards with my left foot I find it easy that way. When I kick start the bike while on its side stand, I stand along side the bike and kick start it with my left foot too. You are correct, I'd be putting undue stress to the motor mounting system of the bike with my current after market side stand. But with the stock side stand I had...the stress is placed on the side stand mounting bracket welded to the frame of the bike. It seemed to work well till I lost the side stand unit. Well...I suppose I need to practice on a better method of lifting the bike onto the center stand & taking it down. This is mainly where the problem is cuz I have to hold on & not drop the bike.
    CT
  19. tonysmallframe

tonysmallframe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking to get an idea on the price for this - this would be my first /2 and i'm not quite sure where the market is these days. From the ad:

"58 BMW R50/2 CONVERSION BIKE NOW HAS R75/5 MOTOR IT IS KICK AND ELECTRIC START. BIKE RUNS AND DRIVES GREAT.
    ENGINE HAS DEEP OIL PAN, NEW TIRES, LARGE BMW TANK. I BELLIEVE PAINT IS ORGINAL .
    BIKE IS DAILY DRIVER NOT SHOW QUEEN. HAS FLAW AND CHIPS IN PAINT. STAINLESS MUFFLERS, DENFIELD SOLO SEAT.
    WAS A SIDECAR BIKE BUT I PURCHASED WITHOUT CAR. SADDLE BAGS ARE PIN STRIPED TO MATCH BIKE.
    FRONT RIM IS CHROME. BACK RIM IS ALLOY.

FLAWS NO HORN, HEADLIGHT ONLY WORKS ON LOW"

Asking price is $9500.... too high, just right?
  20. danedg

Oddometer:
    There's no way to be gentle about this...
    That conversion might be worth 1/2 of the asking price. Mismatched everything. Wouldn't be able to get it inspected in my state.
    Run away!!!