Aprilia Sport City 250 review

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by klaviator, Jun 7, 2011.

1. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    I would agree that pricing has a lot to do with it. And probably image in some way as well.
  2. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    MSRP was $4899, same as the BV250 and less than a Vespa 250. A Kymco People 250S was $4499.

Of course, many of these were sold well under MSRP. I got mine for $3499 + Tax.
  3. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    I know I am going to be raising hell when I say that but why buy a Kymco for $400 when you can have an Italian scooter?

Anyway, there's still some SC250 going for more or less $3,500. That's a pretty good deal if you ask me (and a lot of bike for the money) considering a Honda PCX150 retails for $3,450. Prices have definitely gone up in the past 3-4 years.

My local Aprilia dealer (AF1) has gotten a bunch of Aprilia Sportcity 125 and they are selling them for $1,999. FYI.
  4. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    The only Aprilia dealer in AZ has two never registered but filthy and all scratched up SC250s in stock, '09 models, and will not budge from the $3999 price plus fees. I guess they will eventually scrap them and use them as a tax write off as a business loss.

The price is high, but not out of line with other quality 250cc scooters. Honda was selling, or trying to sell, a 150 for $4500 plus a lot of fees. It quickly disappeared.
  5. GREY.HOUND

GREY.HOUND Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Exactly. As much as I like the SC250, I really like the CBR250 too. Nobody would have given me crap about buying a 250cc sportbike, but oh God, it still hasn't stopped about the scooter. It's all good fun but there is always someone "afraid" of scooters. Like your balls instantly shrink just from looking at one.

Dealer network could also be a factor. 1 Ape dealer in down, the next closest, about 125 miles away.

And let's face it, as a noob, and there always will be noobs, Honda is a name I know and trust. Knowing that, I go to their website, see lots of bikes/scooters. I find out there are 5 dealers within 1 hour of my house so I can get the best deal. If I haven't said it before, that's how I came to realize scooters were better for me. I saw the Shi150 on the website and started researching. Well, 1 year later, I am a happy owner of the Sportcity.

So...to keep on about Klaviator's review. I have about 1650 miles, I'm averaging about 77mpg, mixed riding; urban, mountain, open road. It easily pulls away from traffic. The windscreen is a great addition, albeit loud. I do notice some extra wobble at high speeds (60+mph) with the Aprilia top case. My full face Shoe RF1100 does not fit under the seat, but I can fold up my jacket and squeeze it in there so my helmet can go on the top case, 37 liters.
  6. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    What made you shy away from the SH150? The engine size? I think if Honda had brought in the 300cc instead, it would be my current ride for sure.
  7. GREY.HOUND

Oddometer:
    I wanted to buy local and there weren't any around by the time I finally made the decision, last November. Remember this was all new to me as of last summer. Never even considered a bike before then.

So, after reading, talking and so forth, I felt a 250cc would serve me well. I knew I needed a little more power than the 150 could give me if I wanted to ride in the Sierra Nevada Mountains or lower foothills. So far so great.

I'm in Fresno, so Sequoia NP and Yosemite NP are both about 2 hours from my house. I'm also within 3 hours of the ocean to the west, depending on the road. All are on my list of destinations.
  8. Cortez

Cortez BAZINGA!

Oddometer:
    That's interesting.. you can't give them away in Croatia and around.

The 250s you guys are getting are probably 3-4 year olds sold as new
    overseas, since we've had the updated quasar engine in the SportCity in
    Europe for at least 3 years. There's plenty of leftover SC300's here
    with nice discounts, but still too expensive.

Those are the 278cc engines, with more torque then the 249cc, but
    the power is about the same, and the price is now the same.

Funny thing is, Honda wants just $500 less for the SH150 which isn't
    really comparable because of the huge power difference, and you can
    get the leftover 2011 People GTi 300s (kymco) with 28hp, which are
    bigger really then the BV/Beverly scoot for the same money.

Also, the BV300 costs just slighly more then the SC300, and 90% of
    people will pick the BV.

All in all, the SC doesn't fit in anywhere.

We also had the Piaggio Carnaby on which the SC is based, it never sold well.

The Derbi Rambla, a clone of the SC sold a lot better and worked better then
    the SC, for less money.

A lot of ins and outs in the Piaggio family.
  9. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    They are 2009 models over here. Aprilia stopped importing them after 2009. They had a huge sale 1 or 2 years ago to get rid of all the 2009 models. Some dealers (a few of them) still have some SC250 on their showroom floor. You just got to find who and where they are.

There are no SC300 in the US.
  10. JerseyBiker

JerseyBiker Living the life!

Oddometer:
    Secondary market for these is tough too. Mine has been for sale for months and haven't had a single call on it.
  11. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe location dependent, in Houston the dealership practically begs for SC on consignment. I haven't heard of any offered for sale that stayed on the market long in Houston either.
  12. JerseyBiker

Oddometer:
    Seriously? Hmm, maybe a road trip to Houston is in order! If I could find something to buy there, I could ride down and leave the SC and ride back on something else! Gotta go look at CL!
  13. quasigentrified

quasigentrified Bikeslut

Oddometer:
    i just sold my sportcity 250 to cycle barn in lynnwood, wa. (great dealership, btw!) puig windscreen, oem topcase, couple thousand miles. AWESOME scoot, but once i rode a bv350, i NEEDED that beefier engine and lightweight touring ability. (and the space for all my commuter crap. and the cigarette lighter socket for charging my gerbing kit. and the seat. and the suspension. omg.)

*snif* i'm gonna miss that little 326 lb. sumbitch. it was pure misbehavin' joy. the bv350 is still easy to throw around, but not like the sc250 was.
  14. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Call Houston Superbikes and see what they say. Apollo Scooter is another Aprilia dealer who buys scoots. They just bought my neighbor's 2005 Vespa ET 4. See if you get an offer.
  15. JerseyBiker

Oddometer:
    Thanks! Will do!
  16. Wangta

Wangta Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey guys,

Big fan of this thread - researched like crazy (including this thread) before pulling the trigger on my SportCity Cube 300. Really happy with it and happy to see and hear that others are touring with this awesome scooter. Recently took a tour last summer around the Korean peninsula. It was a blast and the SportCity performed great. Here are some pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got pulled over by Police!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    rixcafe likes this.
  17. GREY.HOUND

Oddometer:
    Very nice!
  18. gumshoe4

gumshoe4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Really great photos! I was in South Korea in about 1987 for Team Spirit. Your photos really catch the nature of life there. Looks like good scootin', too...
  19. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice pics and of course great looking scooter:thumb
  20. 16873

16873 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Beautiful pics and bike. Love that design and color scheme.