the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. psmcd

psmcd Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can say the DR650 feels nimble, especially compared to bigger ADV bikes. It's certainly more trail capable than any heavier bike. But it only feels nimble until it doesn't, then if feels like an anvil. So upright and rolling, as long as you can pick and stick to your line, it works great. Combine steep with loose or large anything (like rocks, ruts, roots etc.) and you'll want more choices than what single track offers. I figure mine is a good trail bike, as long as it's a jeep or ATV trail.

2. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    +1

My DR reached out and touched someone. (me) I was standing on the pegs going down a loose rock jeep road. (think softball - bowling balls) The front suspension (I have emulators and .47 springs) did some weird boingo and the bike was in the air, on it's side and promptly landed frame first on my ankle and a rock, in that order. Ow! Big purple bruise that still is tender a month later.

This is the first time it's really pulled something like that, but it's made me a bit gun-shy. It was my fault for trying to keep up with plated racebikes
    ( XR650R & a KTM)in that section. Know the bike's limits and it's a fantastic bike.
  3. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    IMO, the above is a pretty accurate summation of the DR650's ability on technical single track. Bottom line is: It ain't great. For me, at 65, it's a handful. 20 years ago I might have been able to handle it. These days I take it easy or avoid such trails.

A talented rider could make the DR650 work in very tough conditions. We see this with our Brothers Down Under. These young guys are super talented. But for more average non competitive riders the DR can be a handful in super steep, loose, muddy or generally knarly single track.

These days I can barely make such trails on my little WR250F ... the DR is simply beyond my skill level in tough conditions.

In the Desert, the DR650 does better. (at least for me). With the right tires it seems to plow through deep sand pretty well. I suck as a sand rider ... so if I can do it, I'm guessing most average riders can too.

But on open two track, Desert tracks and fast dirt roads the DR650 is awesome.
  4. psmcd

psmcd Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yea, someone like Rolf Tibblin. Big, tough and talented.

I even got to train with him but I had no illusions about wrangling a heavy, poorly suspended bike around a motocross track. For some reason, maybe 1970 or 71, the shop I rode for wanted me to promote a BSA Victor 441 at a local motocross. I was leery and took it out for a test ride. After a few tentative laps I decided to see what it could do. I promptly learned it could thrash me like a rag doll. That beast gave me the worst neck snapping, shoulder wrenching tank slapper thrashing ever. Scarred me bad. Once I got it shut down I cursed it and vowed to never ride such a monster again. Race it? Not a chance.

I really enjoy the DR650 but treat it with due respect.

5. PHILinFRANCE

PHILinFRANCE Long timer

Oddometer:
    Me and my DR playing "Tail end Charlie" in the Pyrennes

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3qfNNb2qOOo?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Phil
  6. DisTech

DisTech Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Eibach 883 series 7.6kg.
  7. clocklaw

clocklaw Long timer

Oddometer:
    Heads up guys, someone posted a free (pay shipping) DR650 tank in the good karma thread.
  8. USAIR

USAIR picking and riding

Oddometer:
    Adv Grifter

Thanks for the links good reading

Fred
  9. t30

t30 Dirty Biker

Oddometer:
    I've ridden quite a bit of single track with my heavily modded DR650. I haven't set any land speed records on it but it sure trackers pretty well. My fears are long steep muddy climbs or drops, jumping logs and boulders. I've paid the price a few times on those biting off more than I could chew. All in all its a great compromise bike.
  10. Mambo Danny

Mambo Danny I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    A couple of new things on the DR650.

Screws that, beyond having to have an allen wrench, won't fuck with me as much as the stripped-heads of those funky Japanese phillips style bolts did:

[​IMG]

Some case protection is better than none:

[​IMG]

Still need a skid plate though.
  11. rpet

rpet Awesometown

Oddometer:
    Are those countersunk screws? Where'd you get 'em?
  12. Mambo Danny

Mambo Danny I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    Not really. They're socket / deep-well / whatever allen-head screws that sort of fit down inside the bevel of the counter-sink holes. They aren't perfect, and aren't beveled on the bottom, but it's a frickin' flat cap with an O-ring that only really needs to be held down ... so I just didn't care.

Where did I get them?

:hmmmmm

I sense a marketing opportunity here :lol3... I can sell ya two for a buck (plus shipping) if ya want :D

Actually, my Fastenal store had an open bag of them, so he sold me two. Notice that this particular baggie of little bolts were also knurled on the sides of the socket. Neat, huh?

I also went for different oil-filter-cover bolts (than those that came with the AMP kit), but he only had them by the bag full. I'll order three of those online somewhere else I guess.
  13. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    Front, rear, or both?

What would you like to improve about the K270?

I run a rear 5.10 K270 and a front sand-knobby currently. The front K270 is not as well-liked as the rear by some because the side-knobs flex noticeably while cornering on pavement. I don't notice it on the rear. The Shinko 244 is similar to the K270, but it's side-knobs are better bolstered. When I run a front 244, it corners pretty well on pavement. I prefer an aggressive front knob for the sand around here though. As long as the rear can propel the bike, it usually works ok for me offroad. The rear K270 works well for me and the riding I do, other than chunking and wearing quickly when I beat the heck out of it. I might try the Shinko 244 rear to check it's longevity, but I'm going to stay with something more aggressive up front, like the IRC TR8.
  14. AKASY

AKASY Noob

Oddometer:
    Just picked up a 2013--this is my second or third I've got CRS. Anyway have not had one for 5+ years and I need to farkle this thing. Skid plate, bar guards (Crya) small rear rack, clutch and stator stick on plate covers, maybe a center stand, just the normal fall over protection stuff.
    Any of you current users found a central place to order this stuff--I haven't done it in a long time.
    Any other good protection stuff come up in recent years?
    Like some protection for the oil filter cover--never did one in but I have seen a few cracked.
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions--just looking to go to a single source if possible.
  15. Escaped

Escaped Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I get my stuff from:

http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html

And.

http://www.kientech.com/DR650ProdList.htm

Both great suppliers.

Gosh sounds like I am pushing drugs:lol3

16. Phloid

Phloid Adventurer

Oddometer:
    +1 http://www.procycle.us/bikepages/dr650.html

Cut up your credit card now... just do it.

Phloid
  17. planemanx15

planemanx15 Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. GSF1200S

GSF1200S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    As someone who is doing a long trip on the Dr, I can say its a compromise bike. There are times I wish I had my Bandit for the power, times I wish I had an Electra glide for the seat, times I wish I had a KTM 450 for nasty offroad, etc. But, I've been using it for everything. I will say if you are going to climb any loose terrain or rocky terrain, you need a knobby rear, because once that weight loses momentum, you're turning around.

Plenty of guys have more skill and are better than me off road, but it has worked for me. I might try a drz with a nova gear set, and see if I like it. That said, the 650 already has low power/torque compared to a road bike, so a 400 might be a bit much. I think a dr790 might be my best bet.
  19. Kommando

Kommando Long timer

Oddometer:
    Procycle has a bunch of stuff. Kientech does too. I also buy a lot of used stuff on Ebay and the classifieds on this site and and at www.drriders.com. Post an ad for what you want. Somebody might have stuff sitting in their garage.

I also buy a bunch of things from cyclegear.com, bikebandit.com, motorcycle-superstore.com, and several other vendors you can read about here.
  20. nigelcorn

nigelcorn Wannabe.

Oddometer:
    I know others have given their opinion. I've owned a couple KLR's, a really well set up DRZ, and a well set up DR. Haven't tried the 610 yet.

My opinion--I think the DRZ is over-rated. I know it's a better off-road bike than the DR, but it feels to me about 15% better off-road, but the DRZ is like 40% worse on road (if that makes sense). I don't think it is good enough off-road to make up for its on-road manners. If you want something better for single-track, you could definitely do better than the DR, but it's a great do-it-all bike. If you are really planning on mostly single-track--get something else. If you want one bike to do it all, the DR650 is great. It can do single track better than you'd imagine, but it can also do several hundred miles on the highway better than you'd imagine as well. It's a great compromise between dirt and street.