Specific to Women

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by VelvtRide, Sep 9, 2007.

1. tuffstuff

tuffstuff Livin' Life Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes I sure was! I've never been to an event with so few women. Sending you a PM

2. Deah

Deah WonderingButNotLost

Oddometer:
    Awesome thread! Great info and ideas. Count me in.
    :lurk
  3. brazen13

brazen13 frabjous!

Oddometer:
    Oh! I didn't know you were at the Hammer Run. Nice! Would have been good to see you. Hope you're doing well! :d
  4. AnyDay

AnyDay Wants more time off

Oddometer:
    Miss you! Will you be at PB300?
  5. dr.strange

dr.strange Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello! Check the nomad x adventurers on meetup, my friend Karen rides a lot...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  6. lilolita

lilolita fahr mit mir

Oddometer:
    I was soooo hoping to make the PB300 this year...I'm from Tabernacle and it'd be an excuse to see my mom, too. But alas, the stars have not aligned. Thinking about the Scrub Pine for next year, although I always thought that one would be a bit outta my league.

Have fun...weather looks to be fantastic...sand rocks 'cos rocks hurt!
  7. AnyDay

Oddometer:
    We improved the female to male statistics at the PB300 (over the Hammer). 4-5 women out of 100 riders. Kelamity and I sent our guys off together so we could ride at our own pace and I could learn my GPS. A really great weekend. Some hard work, but beautiful, overall relaxing, and one I am proud of.

[​IMG]
  8. Deah

Deah WonderingButNotLost

Oddometer:
    ^^^ :clap Looks like a lot of fun! :ricky
  9. lilolita

lilolita fahr mit mir

Oddometer:
    :clapyah Kelamity (and AnyDay)... good to see back and healed ... hope you both can make a Pachaug CNR! :clap

I should really have done this ride this year :cry
    Next year...
  10. Hair

Hair I am on my way.

Oddometer:
    If you plan on tracking off the Spot service here are a couple of issues that I have ran into in the past.

Out here in the wild west Spot coverage can be spotty. If you have problems in a deep dark Canyon Spot might not tell anyone that you are even close to the canyon.
    Back a few years ago I took my spot on my R90/6 (which isn't very fast) on a loop near my home. I sent a message on my spot when I was at the bottom of a canyon. The spot system did not record that message until I was out of that canyon and almost 10 miles down the road. This was with a Spot I. Same can happen near mountains. If there is no satellite in the hood. Then Spot doesn't tell you that you didn't get a message out. Because of this I like the Spot tracking offering. That way if you warn your receivers ahead of time that you location might be exact. They will most likely look in the places where the spot signal is blocked.

The other and I am assuming really important for female riders. Is this. The Spot service is a for profit company that is depending upon a free public system to act on your 911 call.
    Just because you pushed the 911 call for help and you are in an area where you feel that the signal got out. Don't assume that the local rescue (team) will respond.
    Case in point. A few years back we had a none local guy get into some trouble while riding the CDT. His spot signal was sent back home to people that he knew would monitor his messages. When he first got into trouble he sent calls for help. But over a day later he changed those calls to 911 calls. What he got for a response was not at all what he expected. The call came in from an area that was close to a county line. Which resulted in two county Sheriff's fighting over where he was and who responsibility it was to go and get him. Neither of them wanted to go and get him. Only when the people from back home started calling the state police did someone respond to his call for help. That took an extra day. Based upon that I would not recommend a Spot to be considered for personal safety device.

Also there are counties in Colorado that have been slammed by adventures. It drains the local resources and leaves the EMS teams unable to respond to the people who pay the taxes for the services in that county. To deal with this Counties have in-acted a local rescue insurance policy. You buy the policy when you are in the region. I have no idea how the system works. And also would not know how to get the policy number to the EMS people.

If you plan on using a Spot make sure that some of you messages get to people back home. People who are not afraid to put up a stink and forcing local EMS people to do their jobs.
  11. lexluther11

lexluther11 Ride,Eat,Rest-Repeat

Oddometer:
  12. Hair

Hair I am on my way.

Oddometer:
    I had that service when I had my Spot. I am still not clear if this contract is for International rescues only. It might be good to check on that.
  13. lexluther11

lexluther11 Ride,Eat,Rest-Repeat

Oddometer:
    GEOS MEDIVAC is a single, life-saving source for medical evacuation and emergency assistance. Medical evacuation coverage is available from any country worldwide* and starts 99 miles away from home to a hospital of your choice. All plans are activated over the internet without the inconvenience of paperwork and coverage can be immediate or purchased for a future trip.
    This is a “Medical Evacuation and Repatriation” membership program, which we are able to offer you, and around 100,000 other GEOS members, at very low rates with savings of up to 80% compared to other programs providing a similar benefit.

This is a prepaid private Medical Evacuation membership program. Please note that this is not an insurance plan, travel insurance policy or a healthcare plan and, therefore, GEOS will not reimburse members for expenses they incur on their own.
  14. AnyDay

Oddometer:
    Good luck, let us know how it is! We're definitely in for next year.
  15. Little Bike

Little Bike Air/Clutz Sue Supporter

Oddometer:
    We'll have to plan for next year!:clap. I'm home because I did a face plant over my bars 3 weeks ago and I'm still not quite up to snuff.:cry Probably another 3 to 4 weeks.

Next year for sure! :D

Btw, used my spot3, worked as advertised.
  16. rockitman4x4

rockitman4x4 ol retread

Oddometer:
    I'm planning a trip to Alaska leaving mid June 2014, I am looking for a lady riding companion. Someone over 50, a non smoker with her own adventure bike, 600cc or bigger and knows how to ride it. Lots of dirt. If your interested send me an email at wrbass@wseusa.com. tks
  17. cdwise

cdwise Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well I'll be in Alaska June 1 but neither the bike I'll be riding nor the route would qualify as your riding companion since I'll be competing in the Scooter Cannonball http://scootercannonball.com
  18. rockitman4x4

rockitman4x4 ol retread

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your reply. Good luck on your trip and stay safe. I am planning a much slower trip. Lots of fishing, lots of picture taking and a beer now an then to wash the dust (OK mud) down. :freaky
  19. bykergrrl

bykergrrl Stop the destruction of the USPS Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sorry this is after the event. Wonderful time up in Hungry Valley near Gorman CA. Where 25+ women on dirt when I left this morning and more were coming in. Rain and snow last night made for incredible rides today. Looking forward to next year. Women came in from all over CA, also Arizona and Oregon. :clap
  20. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Today is The International Female Ride Day. The goal is simple - Just Ride today:

http://www.motoress.com/readarticle.asp?articleid=297&c=femalerideday

I haven't been keeping up on things and I didn't see this until today. After seeing the article I'll be sure to take a ride today and be part of this Female Ride Day.

Spring is here and I hope the rest of you get out and take a ride today too. :clap

Hopefully some of you will do the same.