A 600 mile daytrip to Motorcyclepedia Museum

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by madeouttaglass, Oct 1, 2012.

1. madeouttaglass

madeouttaglass Hippie Ki Yay! Humboldt changed my life.

Oddometer:
    The Lost Coast of California, occasionally AZ
    This past winter I spent more than my fair share of time on ADVRider while I looked for advice as I mapped out our CC trip. Every now and then I moved over to JoMama and Shiny Things to see what others were up to. I couldn't believe the pictures of old Indians, choppers and Big Daddy Roth stuff that Flug kept coming up with. When I finally asked him were these were he told me about the Motorcyclepedia Museum that was being put together in Newburgh NY. I knew I had to see it. I tried to get a very small bunch together for a weekend ride but it just wouldn't go together. A couple of months ago I decided to do it myself and hopped on the FJR by myself. (I love this bike.)

It was a picture perfect early Friday morning and I headed down the southern tier expressway. First gas stop was as I approached the tiny town of Deposit. I often pass by the nearest station to the expressway and go into small towns. I spotted Butterfield's Cafe and had to stop. You could tell that someone that cared rebuilt the place.

[​IMG]

A couple of real nice guys ran it. I asked how long it had been in business and was told about a year. They then showed me a few pictures of the falling down wreck that it was previously. They did a fantastic job on the building and even added a nice outdoor seating area around back.
    The food and coffee was great too.

[​IMG]

As we talked they asked where I was going and I told them about the museum. They said that I should get off the expressway and go along the river. Score! What a nice ride.

[​IMG]
  2. madeouttaglass

Oddometer:
    I got there around noon and it was getting hot outside. The area surrounding the museum is shitty old industrial but didn't look unsafe in any way. Plenty of parking and I had no worries about leaving the bike unattended. I couldn't wait to get inside.
    As soon as you walk in you are greeted by stuff like these two very different bikes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  3. madeouttaglass

Oddometer:
    I hope I have the story right. If not, someone please correct me. The people who put this together own V Twin manufacturing. The father and his family have collected bikes forever. They finally put it all together under one roof for all of us to enjoy. And I did!

Notice the green sign towards the back end of this "Harley".

[​IMG]

They seemed to have a connection with Arlen Ness and Indian Larry. Here's and old Ness bike:

[​IMG]

And a newer one:

[​IMG]

Look under the hood of this 3/4 midget.

[​IMG]

They really covered a lot of bases here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. madeouttaglass

Oddometer:
    And of course, direct from Deutschland, The Wall Of Death!!!!!
    They had a great 20 or so minute veedee-0 (gotta say it like a real German) of the husband and wife team that made the rounds of Europe with this show for decades. Not only a great interview with Pit Lengner, but footage showing the setting up of the show, tons of handbuilt micro bikes, and other oddities that only a Kraut could think of. (Yes, I am one.:D)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. madeouttaglass

Oddometer:
    And the stuff I really couldn't believe ended up in NY. As a child of the 70s I grew up with On Any Sunday, Rodger DeCoster on cereal boxes, and Ed Big Daddy Roth everywhere. I didn't even know if his creations were real or just drawings and model kits at Big N. I never thought that I'd see the real things. It is simply amazing that they survived and are now together here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  6. madeouttaglass

Oddometer:
    A few of the other things there:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I never saw the movie(s?), but know of them. I believe this bike has a Suzuki powertrain in it. Maybe GSXR600?, Anyway, a volunteer there told me that it actually rides, but poorly because of the massive tires. He said the tires are off an old piece of farm machinery that was abandoned in a hedgerow. They had the right dimensions for the look they had to copy. They pulled the tires off and had them shaved down.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. madeouttaglass

Oddometer:
    My last page of pictures. There was sooooo much more than I am showing here. The main theme of the museum is actually Indian related. They have at least one, and many times much more than one of each year. Many are restored to perfection, many are as found. There are historic racers of all sorts. You'll also find so many old makes of bikes your head will spin. Downstairs is actually larger than the main floor. They have a great selection of military bikes also.

If you're thinking about it, go!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. MooseKiller

MooseKiller Tripod

Oddometer:
    Cool pix! Thanks for sharing... :deal
  9. Ride_There

Ride_There Will ride for bacon.

Oddometer:
    Yes, great pics. Lots of neat stuff there.
  10. UpST8

UpST8 turnin gas to noise

Oddometer:
    :thumb Thanks for the pics and story!! That's not too far from home, but I am far from home now.