BMW 1970-84 Pannier Mounts & Panniers

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Carl, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Carl

Carl ,,,

Oddometer:
    I picked up this '75 R60/6 in '97 for a $100. The PO owners killed it, parked it in a garage and then pushed it outside to get punished in the Ohio weather. I did a complete resto on it in preparation for a trip to New Zealand w/ it. That trip was unfortunately postponed.

Now fast forward to 2000. The bike was basically complete, but had never been started. I made a custom rear pannier mount system to secure a pair of Darr boxes. The bike was shipped to Penang, MY. We then rode the bike in Malaysia and Thailand. The bike was shipped back and ridden for a short while w/ one brief trip to Canada.

Fast forward now to 2001 and the bike was traded for this here. The 80 year old owner of the R60/2 w/ a factory replacement R69S engine was ready to upgrade to a machine w/ an electric starter. He didn't want the Darr boxes so the mount system was removed.

Finally fast forward ten years later to 2011 and the the R60/6 returns to me basically unused from when it left me. So, being not at all interested in stock BMW, Krauser or other mounts and cases I designed the system shown in the pics to fit all long wheel base twins except the R65 and R80G/S.

Details:

• All steel construction
    • Thick wall tubing on all struts to make a rigid system
    • TIG welded
    • Surface prep'd, then powder coated
    • Accepts all Givi Monokey cases (E21's as shown in the pic)
    • Can be easily adpated to accept aluminum, Pelican and other cases.
    • The loop frames are CNC formed.
    • The lower front bracket ends are die formed.
    • The Givi hardware is supplied from Germany
    I'm currently making a small batch of these mounts. If interested contact me. I've had requests to make them for some time and finally did after again becoming a /6 owner/rider. Most of the upcoming sets are taken, yet there should be a few avaiable as i'm using up all the stock left in my inventory. I'll post pics of the system with E360's mounted. The Givi's are modern cases that easily attach, are waterproof and lock closed and on the mounts.

The cost is $250 plus shipping. Delete $20 per system if the Givi hardware is not required. This would be in the case of riders that are going to flush mount aluminum or other similar cases. Givi E21's can be bought all day long on the internet for less than $175 shipped to your door.

Thanks,
    Carl

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Sanders

Sanders Stogiesuckingsinglemalter

Oddometer:
    Confluence of the Mississippi and the St. Croix
    Those are nicely done. I'd say at a very fair price too, although I don't have anthing else to compare that price to.
    I'm seriously tempted but IF I ever get some spare $$$ I think I'll try and find something stock, which will probably be in the mid $$$.$$ range, or worse.
    Good Luck (Nice looking bike too BTW)
  3. Carl

Carl ,,,

Oddometer:
    One reason I made these mounts was that after trying and using many other systems, including stock (BMW and Krauser) types, I ws never satisfied with the quality or use of them. The design of these mounts opens up many options to the rider/user. Such as an assortment of Givi cases can be mounted or others (aluminum, Pelican, etc..)

I obviously make them, but still consider the cost to be very fair for the set. Low volume custom mounts like these, that use quality materials and are time consuming to make, are not going to make you wealthy.

Carl
  4. Country Doc

Country Doc Wanderer

Oddometer:
    You previously mentioned LWB only, but your title says 1970-84. Are you making mounts to fit SWB bikes now?

dc
  5. Carl

Carl ,,,

Oddometer:
    dc,

A small batch are being made for SWB bikes. They are all for riders that have asked for years that I make them after they viewed my 1955-69 twins system.

Dependent on my time and materials availability are you still interested? I had you on the inquiry list.

Thanks,
    Carl
  6. Sanders

Sanders Stogiesuckingsinglemalter

Oddometer:
    Confluence of the Mississippi and the St. Croix
    I agree with you on the quality of the stock mounts (and panniers too, I do not like the bungie look) but I must be the only guy here that doesn't like the looks of Givi.
    I'm tempted to buy a set of yours just to complete the stock look to the bike and never mount a pannier, then again I hate to limit myself like that also.
    I doth rant...
    must have coffee:eek1:wink::eek1
  7. Carl

Carl ,,,

Oddometer:
    As an engineer and designer I find these mounts have met their design requirements and specifications. One of which they had to accept the Givi Monokey case system and also others such as the plethora of aluminum and Pelican type cases on the market. The mounts have done just that. The stock mounts are recessed inboard of the shocks, thus negating easy or practical non-BMW/Krauser case adaptation.

With respect to how the Givi cases look, well, Givi has a very decent selection of Monokey cases to choose from to suit your wants and needs. They range in size from 21 to 44 liters per cases. Another design key was to choose an off-the-shelf case system that was readily available and of decent and/or above average quality. I have zero investment in Givi, buth there cases met that requirment.

So, from riders responses to this system and the other I have for the 55-69 twins here it seems like the design intent has hit the target spot on. Obviously if none of these options make it happen for you then stock or something else is the path to take.

The pic from below is of the Givi Trekkers on the BMW 55-69 twins mount system. I'll try to get more pics posted of the 70-84 system with cases other than the E21's.

Carl

[​IMG]
  8. Carl

Carl ,,,

Oddometer:
    I'm in search of an Airhead rider attending this year's MOA Rally that would be interested in a discounted pannier system. Contact me if this is something that might be feasible for you.

Thanks,
    Carl
  9. Carl

Carl ,,,

Oddometer:
    Product update:

A MOA Rally rider for the mounts has been found. Thanks all for the replies.

Plus, the current batch of mounts all have been shipped out. The next batch will be available w/in a week, give or take a few days.

Thanks!

Carl
  10. jonnykilo

jonnykilo Viator

Oddometer:
    Just a quick note to say that I will be at the Rally with the racks mounted up. Anyone that wants to take a look is more than welcome to PM me and I will let you know where I am at. The racks should arrive today, but even before seeing them, I can tell you that Carl has been an absolute champion to deal with. Highly recommended, and I will post some pics once the racks are installed
  11. Carl

Carl ,,,

Oddometer:
    Alright, the pannier mount system continues on...

I'm currently tasking w/ a high quality pannier manufacturer that will supply custom cases designed for my mounts. The cases shown in the pic are 35 liters per side. There are also plans to have cases that are ~31 liters per side. Those cases will have their height dimension decreased by 2" versus what is shown in the pic. The aluminum case manufacturer is reputable and supports their products.

The cases will have front hinged lids that are lockable via the rear mounted latches. The options under consideration for this component are padlocks and latches w/ integrated locks. Lid loop features will also be available. The cases will mount via a puck system.

Currently the mount system is designed to accept both the Givi and these new aluminum cases. To keep costs down on the mounts I'm considering eliminating the Givi attachment features on mounts that riders will only be using aluminum cases.

The cost per pair of cases is currently being made final.

Thanks,
    Carl

[​IMG]
  12. Carl

Carl ,,,

Oddometer:
    October Sale items:

The mounts off the bike in pic are on sale for $190 plus FREE shipping. They are in excellent condition and include all Givi case mounting hardware. They are only being removed to use the bike to test other products.

Also available are several new mount kits, complete w/ Givi mounting hardware, on sale for $225 plus FREE shipping. SOLD OUT! :thumb

Thanks,
    Carl

[​IMG]
  13. Carl

Carl ,,,

Oddometer:
    Though the current mounting system is very robust, it now has an alternate version available. The alternate version is for those riders that will not use Givi's and also plan to mount monster cases.

The alternate version does not have the features for mounting Givi cases. By eliminating those features and the Givi hardware the alternate design is kept at the same selling price. Both versions are still available.

Note: The original version is still a very robust mount system that can be used to mount non-Givi cases. The new version just has been modified for riders that want to use cases that are monsters in volume and/or weight.

There are two alternate version systems available to AdvRiders at a sale cost of $200 plus shipping. SOLD OUT! :thumb

Hardware to mount cases to the frames and also new cases are soon to be released. Stay tuned.

Thanks,
    Carl

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. Carl

Carl ,,,

Oddometer:
    I'm finally getting around to making SWB pannier mounts. I've been waiting to get more requests and at the moment have two. Contact me if interested in such a system for the SWB early /5 models.

Thanks,
    Carl
  15. Mr. B.

Mr. B. Climate Controlled

Oddometer:
    I just installed a set of the heavy duty pannier mounts from Carl.
    Its an awesome mounting system. Excellent fit and finish, and
    Carl is providing excellent customer service. :D
  16. oxygenrace

oxygenrace Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Just wondering what the aluminum pannier weight capacity will be. I noticed on GIVI's site that even the trekker cases have a 22lb limit? The E21 have an 11lb limit? By the sounds of things the racks can handle quite a bit. The r90/6 is rated to carry at least 100lb on top of the rider.

p.s. really exited about this thread. I lost one of my krauser bags in upper new york state on a trip. lost a mesh riding jacket and birkenstocks as well. I really want a bag that i don't have to keep worrying it has fallen off.
  17. Carl

Carl ,,,

Oddometer:
    I haven't yet decided whether or not to spec out a weight capacity for the mounts, attachment hardware, panniers, or the complete system. First, it will not be adhered to when using the system. It may be used as a reference, but history has shown that riders have overloaded the subframes on these bikes bike hanging monstrous loads off of it. Second, with reference to the mounts there are riders that use various cases and attachment hardware that is unique to their machine. It would be futile to attempt to cover every variation and its 'limit'.

The Version II mount system for the 70-84 twins is designed to be robust and very strong. It is for those riders that want service and trust out of their panniers system, as is also w/ the Version I system.

Be assured, there is definitely no comparison between a Krauser system and mine. With all due respect to Mr. Krauser, his luggage has its merits but is not made to be as robust as per what I offer for these machines.

The pic below shows the usage of a similar system I designed for the 55-69 twins. It was taken during a cross-country trip in 2010 using Givi E360's. Each case tipped the scales in the ~30lb range, I've used them numerous times in that setting w/out any issues. Givi can be conservative in their case weight capacity limits.

Thanks,
    Carl

[​IMG]
  18. oxygenrace

oxygenrace Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Carl, any new info on the aluminum cases - are you into production yet? If not what is your ETA?
  19. Carl

Carl ,,,

Oddometer:
    They are in production and will be ready to ship in January. I'll be updating my website and this thread shortly.

Thanks for the inquiry.

Carl
  20. Carl

Carl ,,,

Oddometer:
    Three more products have been added to the pannier mounts system.

The first is a short wheel base (SWB) specific pannier mount set. These mounts are specific for the early short wheel base early years twins. They are a direct bolt-on system that will accept Givi Monokey pannies or other types of custom cases. They are built on a BMW SWB chassis for excellent fitment when mounting. The cost is $250 plus shipping.

The second new product is a harwdare mounting kit. It consists of upper & lower alumunim machined mounting blocks and associated hardware. The hardware allows the rider to attach panniers quickly and easily to the mounts. The cost is $60/kit plus shipping, which is enough hardware to mount a pair of panniers.

The third item is a pair of aluminum panniers. Some of the features are:

• 32 liter size per pannier.
    • Approximate size 18"L x 8"W x 14"H (45cmL x 20cmW x 35H)
    • Aluminum sheet construction.
    • TIG welded seams.
    • Robust .125" (3.175mm) thickness mounting surface panel
    • Stainless steel hinged lids
    • Tethered lids.
    • Two stainless steel lift handles/tie-down loops per pannier.
    • Keyed alike locks on each pannier.
    • Robust wide design lid seal
    All of the above products are made in-house, except for the panniers. They were designed and spec'd in collaboration with a reputable pannier supplier. The build quality is outstanding. They will be ready to ship in January. The cost is $495/pair plus shipping.

Please e-mail for additional info or go here

Thanks,
    Carl

SWB mounts:
    [​IMG]

Mounting hardware kits:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pannier set:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]