Super Sherpa thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by AZstrommer, Sep 3, 2007.

1. marty hill

marty hill The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer:
    daq7, check your PM's.
  2. driller

driller Twist and Go

Oddometer:
    So many bikes and so little time.....Soooo?
    Heading out Friday to pick up a clean, lightly used '02 Sherpa.
    I'm thinking swinging my leg over the lower Sherpa will be kinder to my sore 63 yr old hip than the DR350. Besides, I need to slow things down a bit.
    The DR was spoken for with out even listing it and will go to a good home. Damn good bike. I will surely miss it.:cry
    Just getting ready to open a new chapter in the great riding adventure.:ricky

Stay tuned.....
    stratos34 likes this.
  3. 8gv

8gv Long timer

Oddometer:
  4. Lank

Lank Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Daq I am 5 11 and about 180 I find the forward sloping seat and low seat height on the Sherpa to be a big problem and thats why I am selling mine. it just don't fit me and in the rough I end up sliding up to the tank. When I stand up on it my knees are above the seat and I can't get the handle bars high enuf. we all have our reasons to do what we do and I respect everyones opinion but soon I will be Sherpaless. They are excellent bikes and if it fit me like my XR I would prefer the Kawa and elec start. Mine also seems to turn in way quick as compared to the XR style of bike. it is for sale. 2003 4000 miles, excellent condition and $2000 bucks
  5. mike21b

mike21b Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No. Not yet, anyway. They still have 2009s in stock.

Selling them all won't be any guarantee that they'll bring more over, however.
  6. old-n-slow

old-n-slow Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK, add one more to the collective. I just rode home on a new '09 Super Sherpa, did 120 miles and was delighted to see the ride returned 70 mpg. Do they always do that good?
  7. NCJ

NCJ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Actually even a fuzz better as the engine loosens up.
  8. mike21b

mike21b Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yeah, just about everyone gets around 70 mpg. People reported mileage as high as 90 mpg but I didn't believe that - until one trip that involved steady highway cruising, and it got 92 mpg.
  9. old-n-slow

Oddometer:
    Great! Looks like in picking the Sherpa I did good! Now I need to find the farkle thread for a good rack for it.
  10. old-n-slow

Oddometer:
    OK, just how cold blooded are these things? a 5 minute warm-up,......in Florida?
  11. TexBiker

TexBiker Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Southeast Texas. 5-10 minutes even in the middle of summer. I'm hoping the Jekyll kit will help matters a bit.
  12. mike21b

mike21b Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If you are a confident rider (i.e,. don't mind adjusting the choke knob while you are riding), you can start it and ride immediately. This method works with or without Dr J's jet kit (but works better with the rejet):

1) Place fuel tap to Prime (lever horizontal) for 10 seconds

2) Pull choke knob the whole way out.

3) With your left hand on the choke knob, thumb the magic start button with your right. Don't touch the throttle. It should fire up in less than 5 seconds.

4) Adjust the choke knob so that it settles into an idle speed that is slightly above where it normally idles when warmed up - usually that means that you push the choke knob back in ever so slightly.

If you push the knob in further, it will idle faster, but might not be willing to ride smoothly unless you let it warm up for a while. Otherwise, you can ride off immediately, adjusting the choke knob as you go.

Or, you can start it and warm it up for 5 minutes - even in Florida!
  13. old-n-slow

Oddometer:
    I'll be moving this bike to North Carolina in a few weeks, 2,500 altitude. I'll wait to see what that does to the mix before fiddling too much, but right now I'm thinking a rejet is almost mandatory, like the doohickey on my KLR.
  14. GsVs

GsVs Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer:
    The Re-Jet sure helped my warm-up time .... Now it's start and I'm off - NO warm-up time needed.

I averaged 80mpg on my backroads commute last year (the commute is ideal mpg riding ... 35-45 mph backroads.

15. mike21b

mike21b Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I highly recommend the Jet kit, but at 2500 feet, I don't think there will be a difference that you can feel.

I've had my west coast KLR to 9500 feet, and it runs fine at that altitude, if there is a power loss (I'm sure there is), I don't really feel it.
  16. Turborob

Turborob .

Oddometer:
    Couple of questions:

1. Can I put on 30mm bar raisers without changing the cables?

2. Where can I get bigger pegs which fit?

Thanks, Rob.
  17. Super Sherpa

Super Sherpa The Burning Man

Oddometer:
    I have a 2000 Super Sherpa, love it, great bike. But, after 5,445 miles of riding (4000 of these were easy highway commute by previous owner) I blew the fork seals.

Now, what I want to know is is this common for the Super Sherpa to have bad/weak forks? I want to do some track riding on my Super Sherpa, but am not sure if it can handle it. I don't know what caused me to blow the fork seals, whether it was the weather at the time (average 25 degrees), or the small jumping (none over 2 feet high) that blew 'em, or a combo off all these factors.

So do you guys jump your Sherpa? :lol3
  18. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    1. Might be borderline on the clutch cable. Everthing else should be ok with some fiddlin.

2. Dunno.

Cheers
    Clint
  19. Mahk

Mahk Adventurer

Oddometer:
  20. Solrider

Solrider Smiling Politely

Oddometer:
    Does anyone know where I can find a .pdf copy of the factory repair manual?