Tiger Tales - Dialling in the 800XC for the dirt

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by Burren Rider, Jul 6, 2011.

1. FairweatherJohn

FairweatherJohn FairweatherJohn

Oddometer:
    REDO5 - I have a new set of Explore Bars here in Calif that I do not need - They definitely sweep back more than the 800XC stockers.

Not a straight swap, but should fit up well if you have some mechanical gumption, a drill, and a spare evening to make the change.

Chk your messages if you are interested.
  2. MotoTex

MotoTex Miles of Smiles

Oddometer:
    Good gear will get you through a lot of potentially painful situations. But I think there are aspects of Murphy's Law that have special application for off-road riders.

While riding a jeep trail in a national park on my DRZ in March of this year, fully outfitted with Helmet, Goggles, gloves, MX boots, chest protector, elbow/forearm guards, and a pair of prescription Cti2 knee braces I still managed to fracture the Tibia plateau in a fairly mild get-off at low speed. At the moment I fully expected the usual, fall down, get back up and ride sort of dirt nap.

Five and a half weeks after surgery including the addition of some titanium screws and a plate, I was able to throw that same leg over the Tiger for a ride. (tying the crutch to the bike seat with bungees)

It is rough to imagine going three months like you have so far. Is the end in sight? Wednesday will be three months since reconstruction surgery on that knee and I am just beginning to wean myself off the cane.

I've also broken toes a couple of times while wearing high bucks MX boots.

Despite all preparations and ATGAAT shit still happens that confounds me.

Good luck with your healing and best wishes on your countdown to riding once more! :freaky
  3. TekurRides

TekurRides Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Yeah end is in sight. I started walking today but with quite a bit of pain. Hopefully will be riding in a week. Left to myself I would have probably tried to ride the Tiger but the wife wouldn't have liked the idea a whole lot. :D Also, I was asked not to put weight on the right foot, last thing I wanted was to be forced to put my foot down in an emergency situation and elongate the healing process and not to mention having a life long problem. :nono .

Having said that I do appreciate your toughness. :clap You inspire me to get back to riding ASAP.

4. OB1UK

OB1UK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I also dropped my (5-week old) Tiger in some sand (due to my inexperience) and it fell to the right, trapping my right foot under the engine. Afterwards, back at the camp site, I realised my foot was still hurting and, when I took my (road bike) boot off, it was very badly bruised.

After 5 days of discomfort, I was told by a colleague that I should go to the hospital for an x-ray... so I did... and was told I had a fracture to the 5th metatarsal! I was told by the doctor (UK) that there was no real point in putting it in plaster and that I should just take it easy for a few weeks. I carried on riding my Tiger, although only on-road, and used a walking stick for a couple or three weeks.

Two years later and I have no problems except for the odd ache when it gets cold and wet - which is normal as far as I have discovered from other breaks!
  5. Jeroen!

Jeroen! Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ik
    I did kinda the same, my heavy sidi adventures did not protect my ankle, and I don't know if wearing my motorcross boots would have made a difference.
    Dislocated my ankle and broke The other bone too. They put some iron in it, I've been in a cast for 10 weeks, and now I take daily physical therapy to get it moving again...

Shit will always hit the fan. :-)

Verstuurd van mijn LT30p met Tapatalk
  6. Aussie Trev

Aussie Trev aka DRTrev

Oddometer:
    Guys,

I bought Burren Rider's Tiger 800XC and now have it tucked up here in South Australia......great bike.:wink:

I have a problem. I took the Safari tank off last weekend and put it back on, ensuring that all the leads and wires were connected properly. You've guessed it - now the fuel gauge isn't working!! Should I expect that to spring back into life sometime soon? Any other suggestions?

cheers

EDIT: A quick lap around the block fixed it. Tank and computer are now talking to each other again....phew!
  7. fbj913

fbj913 Adventure Aficionado

Oddometer:
    anytime you unhook that gauge, or right after you fuel up, it takes a little time for the bike to read everything again. always ride a few miles before tearing things back apart.
  8. Dubl-A

Dubl-A SuckerDucker

Oddometer:
    :nod
  9. Hardhead

Hardhead Long timer

Oddometer:
    It does the same thing after disconnecting the battrery. A lap around the block sorted it out.

10. Aussie Trev

Aussie Trev aka DRTrev

Oddometer:
    See, that was my problem!! A mate took the tank off his XC on the same weekend and his started up fully talking to the gauge.....mine didn't, so I assumed a problem....but all good. Thanks for the feedback.
  11. Yankee Dog

Yankee Dog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I guess this post is about dirt. After viewing a few ride reports the missus has decided she wants to do a little camping during our Grand Canyon trip this fall. This is our set up.

A bug hut covered by an 8x10 silnylon tarp. Note: none of the hut sticks out from under the tarp. Even though the pics make it look that way. Another thing is we dont plan to tough it out in the rain. If the weather looks bad, a motelling we will go.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. XCRider803

XCRider803 Loftin' the wheel

Oddometer:

Looks nice, just about anything will do for fair weather. For me, I have a nice air mattress and sleeping bag, I use my clothes in a sack for pillows. I also have a three season tent in case I get caught out in it, but I'm with you about the hotel. :D

The seat came from where?
  13. Yankee Dog

Yankee Dog Long timer

Oddometer:
    The seat is a Rick Mayer. I absolutly love it.
  14. PBee

PBee ...---...

Oddometer:
    :lol3 Yep, we call that Glamping down here.

15. henkew

henkew Adventurer

Oddometer:
    This is exactly what I'd like to do. Has anyone else tried this? Any suggestions how how it can be done easier than spending 10 hours on it?
  16. Dubl-A

Dubl-A SuckerDucker

Oddometer:
    Sweet setup Yankee!

You mind giving the full skinny on the seat, price/turn around time/etc/etc???
  17. Yankee Dog

Yankee Dog Long timer

Oddometer:

The seat is a Rick Mayer http://www.rickmayercycle.com/

The normal price is $400 + shipping. Rick had a sale last winter 1/2 off on dual sports so my price was $200+. The price make my decision for me, but truly, the seat is so good I wouldnt hestitate to pay the full price. They always have sales in the winter but it may or may not be as good or apply to your particular scooter.

My turn around time was screwed up, at least partially my own fault. I shipped the seat just before Thanksgiving. The return was scheduled just before Christmass and I was going to be out of town. I told them to hold until after the Holidays. I think it was mid January before I got the seat back. I think the advertised turn around is a couple of weeks, but I wouldnt plan any big trips for at least three.
  18. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    That's a fine looking seat, looks very comfortable. I went over to their site - they are having a sale thru July 21 for the BMW rally, $50 off their regular price for everyone right now. From what I could tell it was $319 for a 'solo' seat - re-do the pilot and re-cover the passenger seat, vinyl covers, with $50 off. Not cheap but not horrendously expensive either. One of the best in the business me thinks.

You can also ride there with an appointment, the shop is near Redding CA, north of Sacramento, and they'll do your seat while you wait. :thumb
  19. Dubl-A

Dubl-A SuckerDucker

Oddometer:

Great info, thanks Yankee!

Btw, we ride the same scooter :lol3
  20. backwoodsKLR

backwoodsKLR Ride more, Post Less.

Oddometer:
    I am browsing around their site and I don't see a Tiger 800 listed in their seat list... :deal Obviously they do them, cause the one above looks awesome!