Nice Little Sunday Fall Ride Down Turnagain Arm

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by AKDuc, Oct 22, 2007.

1. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    Man, it's gettin chilly outside! Almost time to stud up the KLR and start ridin with the electric Scorpion visor and Gerbing's electric socks.

I was kinda bummed that I wasn't able to ride in last weekend's good weather. I was showing a cousin from Metlakatla around on his first visit to Southcentral. He was VERY impressed with our lovely area! :wink:

I was REALLY hoping it was gonna be sunny and actually get up to the nice warm 40 degree's that was forecasted. :lol2 Wanted to get some more photos of the Duc in front of some of the pretty trees. Oh well, maybe next year. Because of the weather conditions I decided I'd better take the hot grip'd KLR which is also a bit smaller and more nimble JUST in case I did happen to hit some ice. :eek1

Just yesterday I was reminiscing with a fellow rider about the good 'ol days around Anchorage during which I mentioned the old Rabbit Hutch. Not sure how much longer this sign's gonna remain standing so I thought today might be a good day for a photograph, especially with the pretty snow covered peaks in the background. :wink:

[​IMG]

Potter Marsh may soon be frozen enough for some skating. Dogbrother Comet loves chasing a hockey puck! :D
    [​IMG]

Always enjoy see'n my shadow on the rocky cliffs along the Arm.
    [​IMG]

Turned around just past Indian as the sun was dippin behind the mountains.
    Off yonder in the distance across the Inlet lies the sleepy little town of Hope.
    [​IMG]

Ah, the pretty leaves I was looking for all lit up nice and bright by the setting sun. :evil
    [​IMG]

Yep, the setting sun. Pretty. :D

[​IMG]

Remember me saying it was chilly? A thermometer said 25 on it as I was gettin close to home.
    ALMOST time to break out all that cold weather gear. :lol3 See ya, Mark H.
  2. Beezer

Beezer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Anchorage, formerly Spenard (hub of the universe)
    Nice!!!!!!!!!!!
  3. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice pics......glad you were able to get some riding in.:thumb
  4. klrdave

klrdave misguided

Oddometer:
    Great pics. I'm glad to see I wasn't the only one out riding.
  5. alaskaOE

alaskaOE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice pics, got out for a little ride on the arm yesterday too, sure is nice riding without all the summer traffic.
  6. kodiakfrank

kodiakfrank Gloria's Cheerleader

Oddometer:
    Crystal River, where the swamp gas rises.
    Beautiful shots!:clap
  7. Big Bad Bob

Big Bad Bob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Good to see you're still riding...Wish that I could say the same...Oh well, next season will soon be upon us, and I'm planning on a Freddie Spencer school adventure with the girlfriend in early spring...

BBB
  8. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Yo Bad Bob... how's the new desk working out? Hope all's well. If you want to take a winter bike for a spank give me a holler. The tranny will have winter shoes on soon.
  9. Big Bad Bob

Big Bad Bob Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OOOOOOHH....Sounds very tempting, I will call you soon about that!!! The new job is great!!! Anybody out running about in S. Anchortown is welcome to stop in and visit me at Lithia Dodge...Or, give a call, my direct line is 868-9314...

BBB
  10. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    You got the number, bud. Holler if you get to jonesin' but it ain't like no summer scoot. There's nothing quite like pulling up in Girdweed for a snort of coffee in January though.

Nothin.
  11. AKDuc

AKDuc Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer:
    The studded tires are being put back on the KLR as we speak! :thumb

Just another way to have a little bit of fun in our winter wonderland! :evil

A big thank you for all the compliments on the photos, guys. What was really crazy were some of the responses I got from a few folks in the States on some other msg boards about the Rabbit Hutch photo. It reminded them of dinner dates and good times back in the day with ol gf's or ex's. :lol3
  12. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    Great shots.
    I know it might not make sense to all of you out there, but I really miss Alaska. The pictures made both MaGus and I, a little homesick.
    Thanks.

I am almost ready to KLR my stable.

A winter steed could be enough to make life much more interesting.

See you all soon

Ta Ta

:ricky
  13. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not gonna put the studs on my bike till the end of Feb........thats about the time we will be getting back from ARIZONA.:clap I will be thinking about you guys as we ride around down there.:evil
  14. Gusgus

Gusgus Banned

Oddometer:
    Arizona? You Dog! Uhhhh, yea....

Where you gonna be?

I did some of the central Arizona roads last week. Nice!

Oak Creek Canyon is awesome.

2 up or each on a scoot?

Ride safe and keep in touch.........:clap
  15. AKTroy

AKTroy BE AWARE OF TRAINS

Oddometer:
    Sounds like were going to have quite a "KLR Crew" here in the GWN. Looking to add one to the stable myself. Trying to decide if I want an '08 or get a used one off Craigslist and save some coin.
    "A pair and a spare" in the garage sounds about right. :ricky :ricky :ricky
  16. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    I've got too many bikes and too many TransAlps. One of you guys want a T/A? Take a peek at mine if you want. I think I paid $3k for the one I rode last winter and it's G-L-O-R-I-A's ex bike. Very nice shape and for $3k it can be yours. I'll ride something else this winter.

A trike has been calling my name. :evil
  17. legion

legion Honking the Horn

Oddometer:
    Here's the TransAlp I'll be riding through Central America this winter.

Here's the TransAlp I should probably put in the wind.
  18. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Gonna be in Bouse. Got a 5th wheel trailer set up year around there in a camper park.

http://www.desertpueblorv.com/

I know a bunch a riders from another forum.......we stayed there (Bouse) the winter of '03/'04 and rode with them before. Gonna hit Death Valley Daze......the southern version of D 2 D.

We are each gonna have a bike. I am taking the KLR and the wife will have her Rockster. The plan is to throwm em in the pickup and tow the teardrop so we have a place to stay on the way down. Gonna leave mid Nov and be back mid Feb........don't wanna miss our PFD.:evil
  19. Wheeldog

Wheeldog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Get a beater off the Craigslist like I did. Paid $2,500 a couple years ago. What I like best about mine is I can dump it and don't have to worry about it. Just costs a few bucks to put it back together.