South Florida ADVrider Club

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by Sfladvrider, Aug 27, 2013.

?

Start a South Florida Adv Club

1. Yes

2. No

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Mambo Danny

Mambo Danny I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    Eventually I'd like to do a ride & camp up in a place I've found along the Kissimmee River - ideally with others (because of the possibility of getting stuck back there).

Things needed - tent, sleeping system, tires & bike that is OK (my bike is just OK - not great, but it doesn't have road slicks on it) in very soft, possibly deep, sand, tow-rope (to pull friends out), and food + water.
  2. Matt M

Matt M Dusty

Oddometer:
  3. Sfladvrider

Sfladvrider Mr.n00b

Oddometer:
  4. Dr.Z

Dr.Z 6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer:
    Who's that chucklehead talking to "the man"? :lol3
  5. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Anyone riding this Sat?
  6. fortizgur

fortizgur Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello to all!! Riding L-Cross tomorrow, 9am-12pm,, looking to get back in to ftr hare scrambles and enduros,,, realize its close to end of season but better late than never! Any trail riders welcome,,, we try to push hard but I'm just getting back in to physical condition,,,, so I'm still ssllloowww:rofl
  7. Sfladvrider

Sfladvrider Mr.n00b

Oddometer:
  8. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Anyone riding today?
  9. dnfab

dnfab Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wasn't sure to put this, I live in S.Florida [Plantation/Sunrise] so I figured this was as good as any. Mods, feel free to move as necessary.

I'm new to dualsport bikes although I've been around bikes from an early age. Maybe I should share the story about leaving the baby sitters house when I was 5yrs old to break into my house to go ride my cr50...hehe. Man, was I in trouble. I rode dirt bikes as a kid and got away from them in my late teens and didn't touch another bike until I bought my Yamaha R6 in 2004 in my early 30's. I just sold that R6 with 21,000 miles. I put the first 10k on in the first year and then as my work took me around the country my riding became less and less, unfortunately. I was able to do a few trips to deal's gap and north Georgia during that time as well.

It literally never gave me one problem and started everytime I hit the button. I installed a schumacher battery tender under the passenger seat and still had the original battery when I sold it. It still had the original chain and sprockets. I never really beat up on the bike which is why it was in such great shape. I was into ripping wheelies when I first got it but the early law enforcement encounters encouraged me to stop. Remind me to tell you about the funny encounter at bike week in Daytona. I can't say enough good about that bike and really wish I would have just kept it. I had shoulder surgery in 2007 that really hasn't gotten any better and the pain persists, daily. So, I stopped riding because I would hurt for two days after riding. Well, I need to ride a bike and one that I can sit upright to ease the pain. I looked at some sport touring types and honestly may be better for my intended commuting purposes [25 miles round trip, mostly highway] but I wanted something I could clown around on and hit a trail when I see one.

In light of that I just purchased a 2006 DR650 with 14k on the odometer. I probably overpaid a bit at $3600 but from my reading on SMJ, ADV, and DRRider it looks like I will have enough support in case of need. Between that and the potential longevity of the bike and it's nearly 20yrs in the mill, I'm not really worried. As everyone knows it's flat and there aren't a bunch of great trails here in S. Florida so an SM setup is good. I plan to buy another set of wheels for a dirt swap to partake of some of Florida's nature and sand.

The original owner [I'm the 3rd] put some time and effort into the bike and appears to have spent some money at procycle. It's setup as a SM with 17" excel wheels and stock hubs on Pilot Power 2's that will be replaced with Avon Distanzia's in the near future. He maintained the original speedometer but that will come off soon and be replaced with a vapor. I really don't like not having an idea of the RPM's, temp, etc. He add the Suzuki factory tail rack which works well for my commuting. He changed out the signals, front and back. He installed standard 7/8" Fly brand bars and a DR350 tail light. He installed swingarm spools that I may replace with some delrin versions as sliders and do the skate wheels up front. It has a Two Bro's slip-on and the carb was jetted with a procycle jet kit. I don't know much about jetting and have some research to do but it's way too rich and back-fires like crazy...more to follow. I may follow-up with procycle to get some suggestions after I get it torn apart.

Enough chatter...

At home:
    [​IMG]

At work:
    [​IMG]

The R6:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. jpr

jpr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^^^^ Welcome
  11. dnfab

dnfab Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks JPR. I am going to follow this thread so that I can keep up and hopefully get out on some rides.
  12. jpr

jpr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I believe there is a trans Florida ride coming up. Look for it in the flatistan region.
  13. Dr.Z

Dr.Z 6Sigma Knuckle Shflr

Oddometer:

I believe that one was a couple of weeks ago. :deal
  14. Sfladvrider

Sfladvrider Mr.n00b

Oddometer:
    just some stitches and a new pipe

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. Kevincb

Kevincb n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm in Miami. Would like to ride some dirt trails, but I don't thing there's much down here. So I'm down for any types.
  16. Sfladvrider

Sfladvrider Mr.n00b

Oddometer:
    anybody down to ride friday ?
  17. fortizgur

fortizgur Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey there,, for trail riding I only know of L-Cross, exactly two hour drive from Miami (top left of lake Okeechobee),,, I rode Saturday,, try to ride there at least once a month. The place is actually really nice, trails, pewee track, motocross.

If anyone know of other trails please advise, Thanks! and best to all!
  18. Scubawerx

Scubawerx Scubawerx

Oddometer:
    North end of Hwy 997. Nice track and trails.
  19. beaterktm

beaterktm Been here awhile

Oddometer:

iam down to ride.
  20. eddel

eddel n00b

Oddometer:
    Guys just registered an account on here to let you know how much I've enjoyed this thread!

I recently purchased a new to me 2009 KLR650. First motorcycle that I've ever owned. I've had it for a few weeks. Had not found much in the way of dirt roads down here to ride on. I am in Pembroke Pines. I rode up to Clewiston last weekend. Tried to stop in at Francis S Taylor on the way up but it was locked up. My wife and I still enjoyed the trip but I had to drive at a good clip 70 + to keep from getting constantly passed on US 27.

I was getting worried that there was not much driving down here for a dual sport bike. Your stories have encouraged me and have given me a lot of ideas as to where to ride.

Thanks!

Ed