serow, xr650, xt600, v-strom, f650gs or ktm what to choose as a newbie

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by Dennis van Dijk, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Dennis van Dijk

Dennis van Dijk lurker gone legal

Oddometer:
    Hi ya,

Newbie with a bit of a choice to make. I am moving to the UK and will be looking for a bike overthere to do some green laning and some off roading. It will be my first go doing this stuff. I have a weekend training booked with BMW in Wales.

I want to buy a 11XXgs for my normal use, doing the cruising through Europe and all that. With the occasional gravel road thrown in. I am just thinking either ot get bike on the side and if so what should I be looking at, 400 or 250. Which models. I want to do the mainentance myself, which bikes are easy to work on...

Or should I throw out the whole 11xxgs idea and get one bike to do it all, like a F650gs dakar or KTM Lc4 Advenure.

Your opinion please.:D
  2. RED CAT

RED CAT Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer:
    Best bet for a newbie dualsporter in Europe would most likely be a DR650 Suzie or a KLR. Low and comfortable and good all round. The XR650L and KTMs are too single purpose. Beamer 650 is ok but too expensive for what you get IMHO.
  3. jackpiner57

jackpiner57 Moto-Racks.com Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The answer is obvious! DL650 V-Strom:wink:
  4. Night_Wolf

Night_Wolf Leg Humper

Oddometer:
    Suzuki offers a 650 single in Europe that looks very similar to the F650gs with similar HP numbers. Might be worth a look :deal
  5. AKTroy

AKTroy BE AWARE OF TRAINS

Oddometer:
    Best choice for the money I agree is the Strom.:deal Im a heavy packer and have been at this for 20 yrs so I leaned on the big side of the brothers. A buddy has the 650 and we have a blast swaping on our rides. :D You RARELY hear of ANY trouble with them and maint is alot cheaper if you deal with the dealerships. Just my two cents. Good luck and watch out for the other guy!