The Chronicles of Gnarnia - Washington Cascades

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by n16ht5, Jul 29, 2012.

1. n16ht5

n16ht5 ride the night

Oddometer:
    Summer is finally here in Washington and the mountain trails are calling my name.

Thursday Andy (Awshouse) and I went to Miller Peak to ride some fun trails up in the mountains

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0Gldz8WvEc&hd=1

I rode down to his place in Seattle at 6:30 and we hauled over the bikes in his truck to a place called Liberty, WA. We got off the highway and headed up some old roads that turned into 4wd in his truck. When we looked at the map we realized we were on a jeep trail by then so we parked and unloaded.
    [​IMG]

trail gained elevation right away
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mt Stuart coming into view
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Summiting Miller Peak, 6,400ft
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mt Stuart and the Enchantments
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Miller Time. We sat and watched the butterflies for a while
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We came across two hikers who gave us the stink eye and did not say hello.. It was tempting to roost them as I went by but I held back :norton
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thunderstorm passed over on our way to another trail system. We took about 20mi of gated logging roads to another trailhead.
    [​IMG]

The trail.. very remote. I was hoping at this point that we would not have any trouble and have to walk out.
    [​IMG]

A bit overgrown I think
    [​IMG]

Gaining elevation. I lost count of the switchbacks up the mountain.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Getting higher.. don't slide off the trail at all costs. It could mean a walk home.
    [​IMG]

Looking up from that point
    [​IMG]

Made it up on the ridge.. some nice snow to cool off.
    [​IMG]

Me at the summit, 7,200ft
    [​IMG]

Andy
    [​IMG]

Back in the day there was a lookout here. The stove is about all that remains
    [​IMG]

Mt Stuart and The Enchantments
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Coming down, no kick stand needed
    [​IMG]

We got down to the abandoned roads and everything was smooth until shortly after this point..
    [​IMG]

Then this.
    Of course my brand new, never used air compressor happened to be faulty so we could not fix it. I tested it at home before we left, and it pumped air. I did not test to see if it would pump higher than 0.5PSI.
    [​IMG]

Then this..
    [​IMG]

I was riding along and my headlights went dim. Hmm. We jiggled wires and they came back to life. Then a mile later it happened again. This is how things went for about 5-10mi, then the lights would not come back and the bike died. We pulled my seat for the last (fifth? sixth?) time as well as the gas tank and headlight to look at all the wiring. We could not figure it out.
    By now it was completely dark and we were very tired and hungry. We finished the last of the six liters of water I brought as well as his numerous camelbacks. I pulled out my reserve power bars and we munched down thinking about the tasty burgers we would get in Leavenworth after we got out...
    I jammed a flashlight into my helmet and rode the battery out no lights until we got a few miles from the truck were the bike gave up the ghost and died for the night. It was very hard to see as his headlight was pointed almost straight up instead of straight, and my piddly flashlight was all that I had to see with behind him. Not to mention the fact that he was playing the crabwalk game of riding a flat TRIALS tire 20mi on 4x4 roads.
    [​IMG]

So it was closing in 12AM and we just wanted to see the truck. There was still a maze of road to navigate so I took my GPS which was charging off the bike (now at 5% battery life) and jumped on his bike to head for the truck while he stayed with mine in the dark.
    [​IMG]

I found the truck a while later (GPS lasted thank goodness) and loaded the bike, threw it in 4x4 and took off for Andy out in the dark.. We loaded the bikes and headed for home, still 2.5hrs away (3.5hrs for him.)
    97707 likes this.
  2. Baja Perro

Baja Perro Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Awesome ride,gents. Great title and rad photos! Thanks for posting, I hope to see more this summer!
    Love that Yamaha. I've got a 2008 and they're sweet. They can take some serious abuse!
  3. awshouse

awshouse Downwardly mobile

Oddometer:
    Chris, thanks for posting up. That was a fantastic adventure and it's all the better to relive it through excellent documentation. Thanks for putting in the work. Looking forward to another adventure with you, though hope the next one ends before 4 am!
  4. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    Awesome! Thanks for sharing.:freaky
  5. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    Hi John Gil ! :wave
  6. WetSideRider

WetSideRider Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Magnum epic. Good video. Great pictures. Faint trail makes for faint heart. Sorry I missed the ride, now. Though the dark exodus, not so much.
  7. johngil

johngil Reseda, CA

Oddometer:
    Hey Frank!
  8. yondering

yondering Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome!
  9. telejojo

telejojo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Huntsville Ala. foothills of the Smokey's
    Great video wish I was on that ride with my WR......................
  10. n16ht5

n16ht5 ride the night

Oddometer:
    thanks... I think I am going to head to Mad Lake the 11th.. have to work this weekend. should be fun
  11. ADVNCW

ADVNCW Banned

Oddometer:
    Bad joke, right?- Quote-"We came across two hikers who gave us the stink eye and did not say hello.. It was tempting to roost them as I went by but I held back "
  12. GalacticGS

GalacticGS Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Looks like an awesome ride and some great pics...

This one is Front Page worthy!!!
    [​IMG]
  13. BC1

BC1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some great imagery! Are those just captures from your (im guessing) hero2?
    That terrain reminds me a lot of we have here in BC.
    Was that a loop or a return ride?

thanks for posting
  14. Yardstick

Yardstick Hydrophobic

Oddometer:
    Nice stuff! :eek1 I wish I could have found that stuff when I lived in Seattle! One of these days I'll make a trip up that way! :clap
  15. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
    Glad you made it back safe. Great photos and fun to follow... and loved the dramatic ending... though not so fun for you at the time.

And a lesson learned at the end.

Thanks.
  16. squonker

squonker Stupid is the new norm

Oddometer:
    Wow, what fantastic scenery! Thank you!
  17. swamp

swamp Shut up. Ride.

Oddometer:
    bad ass.
    just bad ass.
  18. woodschip

woodschip Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing your adventure with us. Nothing like taking on something that you know might tax your abilities a little bit knowing your bud has your back and can be depended on WHATEVER happens. I'm fortunate to have a brother and 3 grown sons ,all of whom can be depended on like that.:clap Not that I'd brag on them or anything like that.:evil Your pictures make me very jealous! :cry :cry :cry
  19. waycrazy1

waycrazy1 Justme

Oddometer:
    I was up there last Sunday. It was a tough trail but a blast. Nice pics and report.
  20. n16ht5

n16ht5 ride the night

Oddometer:
    Thanks.. Went back out again this weekend.. Another epic ride.. 7,820ft, two peaks, 85mi, both tires flat.. Here's a teaser
    [​IMG]