ktm 500 exc?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Visigothic, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Stifdickerson2006

Stifdickerson2006 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just put a higher bend bar on last night and took my mount assy apart and cleaned it. After having a closer look, the HDB top mount with the ignition switch is not going to work with the rubber mount set up. There is not enough room, if you want to move the ignition, and use one of Pauls(HDB) ignition switch brkts it will work but not with the stock ignition switch you would have to get the slimmer designed one from Sicass. I have the ignition brkt from HDB and looked into it last night on my bike and it is a no go unless I get the slimmer switch.
  2. bill1960

bill1960 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thx for the info.

Is that the low profile powerlet fitted to your topclamp ?

How much clearance does that have in relation to the BRP rubber submount ?
  3. Stifdickerson2006

Oddometer:
    The low pro powerlet socket fits no problem and no clearence issues. You could use both holes for powerlets with no issues.
  4. FZcruzer

FZcruzer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't get it, my bike eats the low beam in the headlight in about 10 miles of street. Have gone through the original bulb and two after markets, vibration, voltage spikes, don't know. Kind of sucks to need to buy a $400 squadron to have a reliable light.
  5. bill1960

Oddometer:
    I recently did a 2200km dualsport ride on the 500, highway/offroad 50/50, between 300 and 500km per day.
    I found by the end of each day my throttle hand was numb from vibration and both hands were a bit sore in places.
    Wheels are balanced. Using pillowtop grips.
    Thats why I'm interested in the BRP rubber submount, plus I can add a scotts stabiliser later.

Would be interested to hear from those using the BRP rubber submount.

How well does it work in reducing vibration and/or provide cushioning ?
  6. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    My 350EXC as stock had 14/45 gearing. I put a 13 on the front as a start, but I need to go up on the rear for the tight stuff. I am trying to stick with the stock length chain because my plan is to get a second set of wheels for street use and I don't want to have to swap chains as well. Just for fun, I tried a 52T rear with the axle adjuster blocks flipped to give me more forward adjustment, but the chain was way short. Seat of the pants estimate seems to me a 48T would would work. But, I would sure like to hear from someone who knows for sure before I drop any more cash. Yes, I bought a brand new 52T KTM stealth (Supersprox) sprocket just to see if it would fit, since the XC-W has 13/52 stock. No, I am not very smart :huh
  7. Lance Hardwud

Lance Hardwud Long timer

Oddometer:

I run a 13/48 on a 350 and it works great. You will be happy with that combo.
  8. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    Just to be clear, that is with the stock chain, right? Thanks!
  9. Lance Hardwud

Lance Hardwud Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, stock chain.
  10. Nomad

Nomad High Speed Low Drag

Oddometer:
    interested in selling that 52T stealth?
  11. Vico1

Vico1 The Maestro

Oddometer:
    I have a 2012 500EXC with no lighting issues - however - a fellow rider has a 2013 450 xc-w (str legal) and he has the same problem. Burns out bulbs all the time? He is looking for answer also.

Anyone else know the answer or have the same problem.
  12. Lolodesiles

Lolodesiles Adventurer

Oddometer:
    i have had this issue on my '12

finally i find this was the socket not fully twisted clockwise because of the o-ring

add some grease on the o-ring and it fits better

no more burned bulbs since this

hope this helps ;)
  13. Stifdickerson2006

Oddometer:
    I am using the Pro Grip Rally grips, the BRP rubber sub mount, Scotts Steering Stabilizer and the Anti Vibe Bar Inserts from HDB, It may be overkill but it makes for a very smooth ride, I put it all on at once so I could not tell you which one works the best. Just did 300+ miles in two days in the desert and my hands and arms had no issues. My seperated ribs are a different story, but worth it for a good ride with good people. What I can say is that the setup I have makes for one of the smoothest riding bikes Ive had and it does not cause any hand numbness, this includes 300 mile road trips also. Another thing to look at is making sure your wheels are balanced correctly. For me, the pillow top grips always transferred alot of vibration on my old 01 ktm 453 exc, when I went to the Pro Grip Rallys on that bike it help out alot.
  14. SoilSampleDave

Oddometer:
    Yes, unless, the dealer takes it back. I am trying to avoid the 1hr, 20 in drive back by finding a 48 on a local MC website, but if not, I'll have to drive back because I am racing Sunday and then hopefully he will swap. I'll let you know.
  15. Nomad

Nomad High Speed Low Drag

Oddometer:
    sweet yeah keep me posted because the 52 is exactly what I need.
  16. Johnnyktm

Johnnyktm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I purchased my 2012 exc 500 and the low beam was burned out (the high beam worked fine) and I when I drive on road I use the high beam (and it does not burn out), as it does not annoy other drivers. When/if I change the bulb to a new one I'll grease the o-ring, as per your advice :clap
  17. FZcruzer

FZcruzer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the feedback on the light. I will check the "O" ring, don't even now if it is there or not.
  18. bill1960

Oddometer:
    Is that the 714 rally progrips ? There seems to be a few different models ?

Are the mounting bolt spacings on your HDB topclamp for the stock KTM perches, or is it a custom spacing to fit the BRP rubber mount ?
  19. Lolodesiles

Lolodesiles Adventurer

Oddometer:
    if you have no o-ring here, the socket may vibrate and damage the bulb
  20. Johnnyktm

Johnnyktm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, it makes sense :norton