XRL owners sign in.

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by onaXR, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Mossy-Back

Mossy-Back Nookie Monster

Oddometer:
    Here's my bike as it is now with the MSR handguards and my B&W Outdoor Case on the back. So far the case is working great! I don't even notice it when riding, fits a helmet with room to spare, and totally waterproof. Great for my commute to school 5 days a week in this rainy Oregon weather.

[​IMG]
  2. ReferJohn

ReferJohn 4th Gear pinned> you'll make it

Oddometer:
    I don't have a Vapor,, nor do i plan to get a Vapor.
    does the TrailTech you mentioned have it's own display reading
    or is there another company that makes a temperature sensor
    I already have a XR's only dipstick
  3. ThumpnRed

ThumpnRed Pig Wrangler

Oddometer:
    Check out their website if you want to know more about their stuff. Their sensor connects to the banjo.
  4. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can buy a Trail Tech, TTO Temperature Gauge. :nod

http://trailtech.net/tto_temperature.html

[​IMG]

I installed a TTO Temperature Gauge with the BSPP 1/8-28 temperature probe when I installed my oil cooler.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781962

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I believe you want the 10mm cylinder head temperature sensor if you wish to mount the sensor on the banjo bolt for the external oil line to the cylinder head. :deal

http://www.trailtech.net/7500-3010.html

[​IMG]

I see Trail Tech is also offering an M12 bolt which will probably fit the oil drain plug on the crankcase. :deal

http://www.trailtech.net/VA-12150.html

[​IMG]

However, you would need to run a long wire from a BSPP 1/8-28 temperature probe to use this 12mm bolt. :huh

Spud :wave
  5. selkirkswamper

selkirkswamper hellbilly

Oddometer:
    While I don't post much I'm lurking here daily, I posted a few questions earlier this spring after I picked up my 2012 XR650L. I still really like the cycle (I currently only have the one cycle). I haven't delved in to many mods, having been laid off for a couple months cahs was tight, back to work now and I'm making my list:
    what I've done so far;
    4 gallon clarke tank
    crf front fender
    skid plate
    rear rack (hopefully will be replaced with a manracks one)

so with the limited riding season coming up here in upstate NY here's my list:

XRR moose/PBI front sprocket
    smog removal/block off
    rejet- I know everyone say do Dave's Mod, I'm thinking of just a couple of jets and go....use stock air filter, maybe the factory pro jet kit
    replace the handlebars (bent couple drops on the trials) with protaper ATV hi bars

I've already done a few oil/filter changes been using the spec'd Honda 10w-30 oil, I've been getting it online for about the price of Rotella at Walmart (from Ron Ayers)
    one question I have is the Rotella synthetic?

Another new job has a commute of about 40 miles each way mostly slab at 65mph+
    is anyone riding the 650l daily under these conditions?
    I'm looking for ideas for tires (I still want some dirt light off road capability), wind screen,
    eventually an oil cooler either one from Sutton Cycle works or the Van Pelt one if it is still being made.

Anyway I'm just looking for ideas, my other option is to look for a more street oriented ride like an old Suzuki bandit, Kawi Concours, etc, pm me if you like

thanks all.......
  6. ReferJohn

Oddometer:
    SPUD YOU ROCK, thats what i am trying to do...less the oil cooler
    thanks again
    SPUD JESUS LOVES YOU AND SO DO THE INMATES.
    John
  7. WSobchak

WSobchak Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The oil temp guage... is it needed, or is it more of a curiosity thing?

I mean, if oil temperature was something we had to worry about wouldn't honda have put on one there?

Not trying to start trouble, just an honest question.
  8. ReferJohn

Oddometer:
    After a 180 mile dual sport ride yesterday, doing 70-75 mph on highway, + 1st and 2nd gear black diamond single track, then a spirted backroads canyon carving run home. leads me to think. # 1 i could have slowed down, took a break and had a beer. # 2 i most likely heated up my oil.

I did buy a 22oz beer,strap it to my manracks rubicon, and enjoy the beer before i dropped into the trail system at cow mtn...
  9. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you ride your XR650L at high rpms for extended periods of time, especially during hot weather, you should be concerned about oil temperature. Your concern should increase if you have installed an aftermarket fuel tank, or ditched the stock air scoops. :deal

A fellow inmate loaned me an XRs Only, dipstick thermometer; I don't think they are very acccurate, or very easy to read. :rolleyes Also, the lens fogs up, and these thermometers occasionally leak oil. For less than $20, I suggest you make a digital thermometer so you can monitor the bike's oil temperature. :nod

I purchased an aluminum, oil cap bolt on eBay from the following vendor; it was $12.95, delivered. :D

[​IMG]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OIL-FILL-CA...5771&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

After drilling a hole through the aluminum bolt, I inserted a Harbor Freight, digital thermometer. :deal

[​IMG]

This dipstick thermometer is very accurate, and it does not leak oil. It costs less than $20, and is very easy to fabricate. In addition, it is very easy to read. If this digital thermometer ever fails, you can easily find an inexpensive replacement at any Harbor Freight store. :D I fabricated this thermometer to compare oil temperatures between the oil reservoir and the temperature probe location for my TTO Temperature Gauge.

[​IMG]

The Harbor Freight digital thermometer is frequently on sale, and accurately measures temperatures to one-tenth of a degree Fahrenheit.

Spud :beer
  10. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    You're welcome, John. :D Thank you for you kind words. :devildog

If you search around you can find the Trail Tech TTO gauge for less than $40, delivered. Just make sure you get the gauge with the 10mm cylinder head bolt included. :deal

http://www.powersportsuperstore.com/Trail-Tech-Temperature-Meter-10mm-72-ET1-p/4492430.htm

Spud :wave
  11. Spud Rider

Spud Rider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Rotella T6 is excellent motor oil. :nod If you interested in learning more about engine oil for motorcycles, you might enjoy reading the following articles. :deal

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Consumables.html
    http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/Oils1.html

I like Mobil DelVac 15W/40 motor oil. I stocked up this summer for $8/gallon when Exxon/Mobil offered a $5 rebate per gallon. :D Exxon/Mobil frequently offers this rebate in the spring and/or fall of the year; keep your eyes open for this bargain. :deal

Spud :beer
  12. ThumpnRed

ThumpnRed Pig Wrangler

Oddometer:
    It is not necessarily needed. I rode airhead dirtbikes for years without a temp gauge, but most times rode for a while and then took a break. Now having a temp gauge tells me when the bike needs a break. If you ride much slow single track in warm weather, you will be surprised how HOT these bikes get. They are also known for dropping valve seats, which is typically associated with getting the top end too hot. All of this and the fact that running for miles at high temps turns your oil into thin, black spittle makes having a way to monitor your engine temps a worthwhile venture.
  13. Walterxr650l

Walterxr650l Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you ride in hot weather, and/or ride hard it is a good idea to monitor you engine temperature. The easiest way to do that on this bike is to monitor oil temperature. Just because Honda didn't put one on doesn't mean it isn't a good idea. Honda gambles that any damage caused by high oil temps wont show up until the bike is out of warranty. It's a Gamble Honda almost always wins.

Walter
  14. WSobchak

WSobchak Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Great, now you guys are gonna get me all paranoid about my oil and its temperature.

Now I'm going to spend a load of time looking at special oil blends and wade into that pit of black magic, then I'll probably look into oil coolers and improvised air scoops for the motor.

So I've got three choices:

1. Forget it all and just keep riding. :evil
    2. Spend a bunch more time/money on upgrades and mods :becca

3. Sell it, buy a liquid cooled bike. :eek1

Bummer.
  15. MentalGuru

MentalGuru Crazy Diamond

Oddometer:

If you buy the liquid cooled bike you'll still be worried about temp.... :lol3

An oil cooler is a mod that protects your investment. Money well spent.

If you just ride it get a gauge(they're cheap) so you know when it's time for a cool down.

Big fin heads are cool too!!! :evil

:beer
  16. AZ TOM

AZ TOM Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    1. Forget it all and just keep riding. :evil

Bummer.[/QUOTE]

My 2 cents
  17. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Door # 1

Ignorance is bliss.
  18. ThumpnRed

ThumpnRed Pig Wrangler

Oddometer:
    Water cooled bikes are not the answer. They have such a small coolant capacity, that they end up boiling off their most or all of their coolant when the going gets tough. Then you get to pee in your radiator:D
  19. XR650L

XR650L Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Spud

Why the diff in temps, I get that as well

Regards
  20. Idaho_XR

Idaho_XR Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Then you can enjoy the smell of your own burnt pee for the rest of your ride.:clap