Catalan girl with Swiss GS visiting the Vikings

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Marta-GS, Jul 1, 2010.

1. Marta-GS

Marta-GS Discovering the world

Oddometer:
    Yeah!

Heidi (my GS) and I are leaving tomorrow!!!

We are based in Basel (North of Switzerland) and we have decided to spend our 2,5 weeks of holidays visiting Norway.

Our main goals for this trip are enjoying the Norwegian landscapes, seeing Musk oxes and trying to spot some White-tailed Eagles... Reaching Knivskjelloden (the real North Cape) would be a plus, but it's not a priority for us. :)

Tomorrow afternoon I'm going to Lörrach (Germany) where I'm loading Heidi into a train that will bring us to Hamburg.

This is the first time I'm travelling by train with a motorbike. I wanted to make the most of this 2,5 weeks and, since the train is travelling during the night, it's a great way of getting extra time in Norway! And... I will skip 900Km of boring German motorway!

If everything happens as scheduled, Saturday morning I'll be in Hamburg and, from there, I'll be heading to Hirtshals (Northern coast of Denmark), where I want to take the late afternoon ferry to Kristiansand (Southern coast of Norway). Let's see how everything goes...

I'll try to keep you posted during the trip! In case I can't, this is the link to a blog I've created to keep my friends updated:

http://enjoyingtheworldontwowheels.blogspot.com/

And last but not least, a pic of the team :D :

[​IMG]

Cheers,

Marta.
  2. Krabill

Krabill Long timer

Oddometer:
    My grandmother is a Norwegian immigrant. While I haven't had the chance yet, I'd love to visit at some point and see where my family is from. Looking forward to seeing your pictures :clap
  3. CBR-ELEVENTY-TEN

CBR-ELEVENTY-TEN Tastes Like Chicken!

Oddometer:
    Down...lower....lower..... Yeeaaagggghhhhhhhh!!!
    The very best of luck! I'm sure you'll adore Norway. I've done it twice and I'm itching to do it a third time. Maybe next year. Actually, I'm doing Spain at the end of July. You might PM me some recommended routes if you get a chance.

Watch those speed limits in Norway. Police in Norway have absolutely NO sense of humor! :D
  4. sirwines

sirwines Adventurer

Oddometer:
    subscribed... :lurk
  5. kingkoru

kingkoru Koru

Oddometer:
    And ill be sitting here in Basel... :/ Veil spass! diviértase!
  6. Throttlemeister

Throttlemeister Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Girls that ride are even cooler:clap :clap :clap , have some fun. I look foward to watching this unfold:lurk
  7. ironmtnracing

ironmtnracing MotoQuest Seattle

Oddometer:
    +1 !!

Safe travels!
  8. Dirt2007

Dirt2007 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sounds good. I'm ready!
  9. tommo2

tommo2 Michiganee

Oddometer:
    West Michigan motobarn/Condor Machining Goleta
    :lurk
  10. akadvntr

akadvntr Frozen Supporter

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  11. L.B.S.

L.B.S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    LOL, my F800ST is "Helga" :lol3

Have a safe, fun trip! Lotsa pictures for us! :D
  12. vander

vander full-time dreamer

Oddometer:
    Molta sort amb el viatge. Viel Glück mit der Reise.:thumb
  13. teachnsurf

teachnsurf Bonnie Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm so in.
  14. on2wheels52

on2wheels52 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Would that I could ride enough there to say "I will skip 900Km of boring German motorway!"
    Tuned in of course.
    Jim
  15. Tor

Tor Making Life A Ride, One Corner At A Time

Oddometer:
    Being a a native Norwegian, I know you'll have a good time. Beautiful country to ride in. But,,,,it is disgustingly expensive, so bring a lot of cash. Do you plan to go all the way to Nordkapp?
  16. Marta-GS

Oddometer:
    Hi guys!
    Thanks for your comments! I'll do my best to keep you posted!
    Big hug,
    Marta.
  17. Marta-GS

Oddometer:
    I'm writing from Kristiansand, everything happened as planned, yeiii!

Friday I was working as mad and had to pack everything late afternoon in a ridiculously short amount of time... Thanks God the checklist was prepared since a while ago and I think I have all what I will need... :-)

Went to Lörrach (D), checked in and waited patiently until it was time to load the bike on the train. It was really warm! Was sweating a lot! I was also a bit nervous, never had done that before (and specially because Heidi is 'a bit' heavy for me and was not quite sure what I had to do...

I learnt that bikes are loaded in the lower deck of the wagons and I was told to bring Heidi to the start of the train. I had to ride through all the wagons of the train and was a bit claustrophobic → the ceiling it's very low and couldn't sit upright when riding , I had to duck! But everything went well, no issues! The DB guys were securing the bikes so there was nothing else for me to do, so I went to my cabin. Cosy!

This morning we've arrived punctually at 7.15 in Hamburg-Altona. Since Heidi was at the head of the train, I was one of the first ones to leave the station. Great!

Finding my way to motorway A7 has been very easy. Everything was perfectly signalized! Love the Germans!

Weather was sunny. At 8.30h I was already sweating, ugh! Motorway was crowded. Both lanes full. Many kilometres riding at 80Km/h because the motorway couldn't absorb so much traffic. But thanks God, no jams.

The Dänish motorway was not so crowded but most of the people drive very slow. Many of them were overtaking caravans at the 'vertiginous' speed of 80 Km/h... in places where you could ride up to 130! Was getting a bit nervous...

Arrived to Hirtshals much earlier than expected. Check in was due to start at 16h and I was there at 14h... No problem, I always have things to do. Took my boots off, got my flip-flops and went for a short walk. While walking, I found a ferret-like animal Thought it could be hungry so showed it a croissant I had on my bag. The ferret showed interest so I offered some bits that quickly disapeared in its mouth. Then I remembered that I also had a bit of 'pâte' in the bag. Thought it was much more appropriate for a ferret so there went my lunch... But the ferret was happy, so I was happy, too.

While queueing for the ferry I met some very nice bikers. A Serbian guy heading to North Cape, a Californina guy riding a German BMW and two Norwegian guys riding a couple of almost 'classic' Yamahas FZR...

Mikael, one of the Norwegians has been very helpful explaining me how the damned straps with ratchet worked (never used ratchets before, only 'normal straps').

I've spent the whole ferry trip with the two Norwegians. Great fun! And I also got great advice from them on nice roads and things to visit. Thanks a mil!!!

When leaving the ferry I had a critical moment. All motorbikes were in a low deck, with some slope and while maneuvering the bike to go out, I hit one of the 'bumps' on the floor used to secure the bikes and lost balance towards de right. Ughhhhhhhhhh! That horrible feeling that the bike is falling and you can't do anything to avoid it... But by miracle I managed to keep it standing! Well, not by miracle, all the muscles in my right leg are still aching... It was very close...

Once in town I looked for the room I had booked in advance for tonight. Very practic 'hotel' next to the harbour. I got my 'plain clothes' and went for a walk through Kristiansand. Got a Norwegian SIM card in a petrol station, some cash in an ATM, a hamburger and some french fries in a McD and went for a relaxing walk next to the shore. Great end of the day!
  18. Marta-GS

Oddometer:
    Below some pics!

Yesterday in Germany, Heidi loaded in the train!
    [​IMG]

My ferret friend being tempted by the croissant:
    [​IMG]

And now being tempted by the 'pâte'... Even a second one appeared!
    [​IMG]

Hirtshals harbour. Waiting for the ferry:
    [​IMG]

Heidi secured in the ferry belly:
    [​IMG]

Kristiansand's harbour:
    [​IMG]

Hope you enjoy them!
  19. JayElDee

JayElDee not saying what I mean Supporter

Oddometer:
    will follow you, but don't get bitten by the "ferret"