Close Call!

Discussion in 'Hacks' started by FirstPath, Nov 5, 2012.

1. FirstPath

FirstPath Long timer

Oddometer:
    Not sure if this is 205 but a coworker sent this to me...

[​IMG]

Scott in Shoreview
    '79 Suzuki GS550
  2. Trayvessio

Trayvessio Super Strom Trooper

Oddometer:
    Wow. Scary situation. Glad to see the pilot handle that situation as well as could be reasonably expected.
  3. Alaskahack

Alaskahack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing, thank goodness the pilot was on three wheels
  4. cleatusj

cleatusj Dirt floor engineer

Oddometer:
    That's why I would already be over on the shoulder to let them pass. Thank goodness the state say's it's legal down here. Got to be aware of your backside.
  5. Alaskahack

Alaskahack Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure if moving to the shoulder is actually against the law anyware. The first vehicle was following way to close, the second car probably didn't even know there was something up ahead of the first one. But I couldn't believe they both decided to pass at the same time. :huh

I try to always maintain a 50 ft space behind me even if I have to slow down enough to force a pass turn on emergency flashers what ever it takes IMO
  6. Melrone

Melrone Long timer

Oddometer:
    Holy Shit!! Thats a place I never want to be.The rider new how to handle his rig for sure..I flipped mt first rig and it hurt..It looked like he didn't crash,but no ending .Hopefully he's ok..
  7. cleatusj

cleatusj Dirt floor engineer

Oddometer:
    The front vehicle did not signal, like the majority I see around this metro-mess I drive daily.
  8. tripodtiger

tripodtiger Off riding around on bitumen circles.

Oddometer:
    looking for a smaller house & bigger shed.
    Have another look.

Both too close to the vehicle in front. Gave no one any room for error. Impatience.

Perhaps, if the outfit had been further right, the little 4wd would've hit it square in the rear? Too many ifs and buts. What happened, happened.
  9. SmellyGoatBoy

SmellyGoatBoy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    and the farquad in the silver car did not even stop.
  10. Pago Cruiser

Pago Cruiser Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    WOW. Scary stuff. Another reason to try and control traffic (going slightly faster than the flow) instead of having traffic control you. Which granted, is not always possible.

I'd be interested in any LEO's reading the forum perspective. I would think that the dark car was at fault for not checking his 6 before he pulled out to pass. But the video appears that BOTH cars were following too closely. I'd bet that the silver cars plates are visible in review of the original video by some digital enhacement. Looks like leaving the scene of an accident, and maybe an unsafe pass? Which will prolly get him a $100 fine and 2 hours of traqffic school...

Also looks like the DA dark car steerer (obviously he was not driving, just steering) made matters worse by trying to stay on the road, Hell, he had about a football field of clear space between him and the trees on the right. Swerving back almost made him lose it, and endangered the sidecar guy.

Kudos to the hack rider for maintaining control.
  11. 3legs

3legs Real men ride sidecars Supporter

Oddometer:
    Also judging by the way the white lines are flashing by all vehicles were going at a fair rate therefore even less excuse for sticking so close to the outfit rider. Wonder how the outfit riders neck is. Took a fair old whiplash to the side. I'd only be pulling over to change my undies:lol3

3legs
  12. Sidecarjohn

Sidecarjohn SidecarJohn Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd guess the two cars in shot were impatient to pass, maybe after following the outfit for a while. This seems possible because the silver one pulls out so rapidly just after a car coming against them has barely gone by. Equally likely that the guy in the other 4 wheeler was just as determined to get by the outfit.

Also, could be that the poor outfit guy had these characters up his pipe for a while. Poor bugger is then the total innocent in their bit of crass stupidity. Wonder what the camera vehicle did about it, and why did it have a camera operating ?

Proves that you can do all you can to reduce, as well as avoid serious mishaps, but you are still at the mercy of mindless cretins
  13. Heyload

Heyload Bent but not broken

Oddometer:
    And now the million dollar question:

who was filming this with a dashcam and why?
  14. tripodtiger

tripodtiger Off riding around on bitumen circles.

Oddometer:
    looking for a smaller house & bigger shed.
    Just had a thought. Most helmet/dash video camera have a short, wide angle lens. That means that you have to be very close to the bike ahead to get a decent % of the frame filled. So, what looks like close to we sitting in our living rooms is actually a lot closer in the 3D.

I don't know what the ratio is over there but here the broken centre lines are generally about 3m long, separated by about 9m. The rate at which they go out of shot will allow you to calculate actual speed. Remember that when the coppers take your video camera after pulling you up for speeding.
  15. oppozit

oppozit Banned

Oddometer:
    It's Russia - every second car has a dashcam to help avoid accident scams. And the Russian technique for overtaking is to get half a metre from the car in front, swing violently left and accelerate and hope nothing is coming the other way. Even more fun in the Russian Far East where Japanese RHD vehicles predominate.
  16. Heyload

Heyload Bent but not broken

Oddometer:
    Interesting info about the dashcams. As far as passing technique, apparently we have alot of Russian immigrants in San Antonio....
  17. zenduddhist

zenduddhist Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The pilot did a pretty good job of controlling the rig, also!