Rear tire

Discussion in 'Trials' started by clfarren5944, Feb 26, 2013.

1. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD!

Oddometer:
    Sadly, the tube type tire has been discontinued.
    I've never tried the Extra Light Michelin. The regular one just seems to work so perfectly that I'm hesitant to change. I've heard some riders say that they didn't think the traction was quite as good with the light tire. I'm guessing that it favors the hoppers (which I am not).
  2. jonnyc21

jonnyc21 Trials Ninja

Oddometer:
    Yes I am talking the regular Michelin, not the X Light. I have not experianced the x-light, but have a friend that has and did indicated it dosn't have as much traction in his mind unless he hops...
  3. Gordo83

Gordo83 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I found a place that claims they have the tube type. If they do, would you think it would be a tire that has been hanging around a while? Any problems running a tube in a tubeless Michelin, in the event that they don't have the tube type?
    Thanks folks.
  4. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD!

Oddometer:
    The tube isn't likely to cause you any problems. Some people have reported problems keeping a Tubeless tire seated on a tube type rim at low pressures.
    The tube type tire has been discontinued for a year or two. If you can tell me of a source for them I'd appreciate it. I really like that tire on my dual sport/trail bikes. The tubeless tire will give better traction than the tube type tire, as well as wear faster and squirm on the road.
  5. Gordo83

Gordo83 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sent a PM.
  6. clfarren5944

clfarren5944 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK, I got my new rim strip from Tryals Shop. I've never installed one before so are there any tricks, special techniques to a successful outcome? As I've said before, only want to do it once. The original valve stem core leaks but won't come out.
    Chris
  7. Sting32

Sting32 Trials Evangelist

Oddometer:
    Valve core is your problem then.

Rubber is only a problem usually if the rim starts to "rust" under it. The rubber can be glued into place, if you only glue on 2 of the 4 sides of the rubber, carefully. By carefully I mean you can cause yourself more grief with silicone if you don't think it through when applying even just tire sealer, it gets into the nipple and thread on your spokes you will be frustrated when you change a spoke in the future. Don't ask me why I know this fact, lol.

I wish I had a picture of the cutaway rim with rubber in the groove, but think of the rubber as a V shaped thing, with bottom point cut off to look more like \_/

So you only want to put some sealer on the 2 sides of the V, and I always dribbled a tiny amount of WD-40 or some oil on the spoke nipples, so they would/might be easier to get loose if I break a spoke, which I have done.

so you apply a little sealer here --> \_/ <-- There only. this again is really only needed when the channel it is stuck in doesn't seem smooth and fails to make a seal against the rubber itself. I have had as much trouble with NEW rubber as I had with the one I took out of the rim. Rule of thumb is to NEVER touch that rubber while DOING ANYTHING on the back tire, if it wasnt leaking before, lol. if you hit it with your screwdrivers (tire tools) while changing tires, you will hate yourself.

Many guys just put in a TUBE, and ride for years that way, I even did that. Only reason I hated the tube was, if you poke your tire, you are going to pull the tube and patch it, where with my TUBLESS tire, I can patch a poke-hole with those tubless tire repair "tiger-shit ropes" and glue without removing the tire.

I have used an automotive type valve core in the tubeless tire, but that brings on other complications at the hole in the band. you probably need to order the valve stem...
  8. laser17

laser17 Long timer

Oddometer:
    http://www.lewisportusa.com/manuals/sherc_11-21-09/rim_band_replacement_manual.pdf

The newer integrated valve stem/rim strips are the way to go IMO.
  9. Sting32

Sting32 Trials Evangelist

Oddometer:
    See, your great laser. I had to go from memory... :huh

I still have an old band hangin from rafters somewhere, I think. and I know they didn't have the valve stems built in when I made that investment, lool... I think the strip was like 45 bucks even back in 04?
  10. Twin-shocker

Twin-shocker Long timer

Oddometer:
    The only place for a 2005 tyre is the bin if you are riding serious competition, as the rubber will have gone very hard. Fine for play bike riding, but for competition look at Michelin, unless you are riding mainly rocks, where the very stiff sidewalls of the Dunlops seem to work well.