Can one be both ATGATT and Pirate?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by blk-betty, Jan 4, 2012.

1. ricochetrider

ricochetrider MotoMojo

Oddometer:
    well thank god i'm in the clear and not likely to be labeled a *poser* by YFFs - :deal
    i have 4 leather jackets, two pairs of leather pants, one textile jacket, one pair of assless chaps,
    and one Barbour International jacket. a closet full of helmets but only two i really use.
    i wear [varying amounts of] the same shit whether i'm on my Norton, my vintage Triumph bobber, or either of my BMWs.
    oh BTW-
    my panties are blue, and my eyes are too. :lol3

question-

at work i wear Carrhart pants, t-shirts, and heavy boots.
    when i go out to dinner with my girl, i wear dress jeans, a nice shirt, and a leather sport coat with cowboy boots.
    at Easter dinner, i wear a suit and tie, with pointy Italian shoes.

does that make me a poser :huh because i change outfits to match the occasion?
  2. frontiercat

frontiercat Space Staion #5

Oddometer:
    No one really cares. I never paid any attention to what anyone wore before I started reading these forums. Honestly, geez bunch of cackling hens around here (not just this forum)...

BTW, are these guys posers? Just working on my definitions today....:D

[​IMG]
  3. IheartmyNx

IheartmyNx Ihave2draft

Oddometer:
    Must be cold there... Those guys are wearing jackets...
  4. Nadgett

Nadgett Obnoxious, dimwitted blowhard

Oddometer:
    The eyepatch and the gold earring are not a problem, but the cutlass keeps knocking against the exhaust pipes, and I have to tie the parrot on because he tends to get blown off when I go faster than 30 m.p.h.
  5. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    If you consider riding a cruiser versus a sport bike an "occasion", then maybe! :lol3

You guys are trying real hard to read a lot into the discussion, or just are scared to be labeled by people you do not know, and do not care about. :dunno

Jim :brow
  6. kraven

kraven GoPro Anti-Hero Supporter

Oddometer:
    I get what Jim is saying.

I've seen people in the Physical Therapy and Rehab centers where I do my student observation who have severe trauma related injuries from slow speed crashes. Just because you're on a cruiser and not riding balls out doesn't mean you can't still crack your melon or suffer a spinal injury, cracked or broken pelvis, etc. Not all low speed crashes just result in rash.
    Changing your gear to a lower level of protection because you're on a cruiser is just not consistent with reality.

Watched a guy in myrtle beach last year get run completely over and killed at an intersection where I was about 6 cars back. :puke1 No amount of gear will save you when an SUV runs you completely over and parks on you.
    local news:
    <script type="text/javascript" src="http://www.wmbfnews.com/global/video/videoplayer.js?rnd=200188;hostDomain=www.wmbfnews.com;playerWidth=630;playerHeight=355;isShowIcon=true;clipId=6119965;flvUri=;partnerclipid=;adTag=Video%2520Player;advertisingZone=;enableAds=true;landingPage=;islandingPageoverride=false;playerType=STANDARD_EMBEDDEDscript;controlsType=overlay"></script>http://www.wmbfnews.com/story/15210474/schp-investigating-accident-with-injuries-in-horry-co

Had two high schoolers die right beside my house on grad night last year. They were belted in and in a car with airbags. I was one of the first ones on the scene and couldn't do a thing for either of them.

We pays our money and we takes our chances, ultimately. :deal
    Poser. Not a poser. I won't feel your rash if you're wearing a shirt and shorts. I won't feel your bruising if you bounce down the road in your leathers.
    We engage in a crazy sport/hobby/lifestyle where the philosophy of posing or not is ultimately moot.
    I gear up and hope for the best. But, someone texting could park a Tahoe on me and no matter how much gear I wear, I'll squish like a grape and make my way to ValHalla. :1drink
  7. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Despite all I have posted here, the highlighted text above is the base fact!:deal

Jim :brow
  8. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Please, don't wear any pants with the frilly embroidery on the back pockets. Whoever thought it was a good idea to make men’s pants look like women’s pants?
    And don’t give me that lame assed: “my Wife/girlfriend/ol’lady…” excuse!!! Man up and cut them into grease rags NOW.
  9. daveinva

daveinva Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just as long as we're all sharing unasked for, unwanted, repetitive personal opinions... :D

While I begin with the caveat, "Ride your own ride," I'll never understand the logic behind the risk assessment that says, "I'm riding slow/not pushing it to the limits, thus I can wear less gear." Those two things are NOT related.

EVERY ride is slow, until it is fast. Meaning, as a street rider, logically you will almost certainly ride many more hours and many more miles going 35 mph than you will 70 mph. Heck, *5 mph*, everyone goes that slow riding out of the driveway each morning. Just like the oft-mentioned and oft-misunderstood line, "Most accidents happen near the home" (duh, because you spend most of your time near your home), the chances of getting into a low-speed accident that's either your fault (oops!) or some other person's fault (dang cagers! stupid deer!) are significantly greater over time than the 90 mph, fully-leaned-over, wannabe track day "We'll mail you your son's head once it's in the Hefty bag" accidents.

Which means that the correct risk assessment is that road rash *is* something to worry about, busted knees *are* something to worry about, and severe head/brain injuries-- which can happen anytime your bare head hits the ground, at any speed-- is something to protect against.

It's not that I don't value the freedom NOT to wear the gear- everyone's choice. It's that I just don't understand the risk assessment that goes into not wearing it. I'm already taking enough of a risk being exposed on a bike in order to enjoy myself, why taunt the devil any more than I absolutely must?

Off to grab a bacon sammich...
  10. frontiercat

Oddometer:
    A-freaking-men! hahahahahahaha

Saw some dudes wearing those the other night when I was drinking with the girlfriend (my girlfriend was laughing at them)...geez, my daughter wears jeans with that stuff on the pockets.
  11. daveinva

daveinva Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Women?
  12. frontiercat

Oddometer:
    Women creating a more metro-sexual world...egads...:huh
  13. IheartmyNx

IheartmyNx Ihave2draft

Oddometer:

lol, I was gonna say that, but I don't know what's worse...

Knowing what a metro sexual is, or openly admitting you know what a metro sexual is :lol3

Lol, like the guy that yelled "Your bike looks like a Power Ranger" at me...

lol, what's worse? Knowing my bike looks like a power ranger, or openly admitting you know what a power ranger is, and enough to know it looks like my bike?
  14. frontiercat

Oddometer:
    Hey, I've read GQ before (at the dentist's office)...:lol3
  15. IheartmyNx

IheartmyNx Ihave2draft

Oddometer:
    lol...

My favorite was watching Ryan "Princess" Seacrest on MTV (hey, my channel finger had a cramp in it, alight? It had to stop somewhere) interview some dude in some movie.

This was back when the word was still new.

He looked over at the guy and said "You're a Metrosexual kind of guy, right?"

And the guy looked over, deer in the headlights and looked at him, on national TV, as tho he was calling him a fag or something.

Lo-fkn-l.
  16. bones_708

bones_708 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

And I can get hit by lightning on a sunny day. So? Of course there are different levels of risk. If there weren't then people would be wearing fire suits and helmets in their cages on the way to work. This guy may have a distinction between race gear and non race gear because that was what he was speaking of. Going full out on a track and a slow cruse. More people die in bathrooms but I don't wear gear there either.
  17. kraven

kraven GoPro Anti-Hero Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok, then. :D
  18. lemieuxmc

lemieuxmc Banned

Oddometer:
    My comment about traction control being a squid crutch stands.

Most racing classes prohibit electronic traction and braking controls.

They don't let you wear Duck Feet swim fins in Olympic swimming events either.
  19. kpt4321

kpt4321 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Of course it does.

Considering that both MotoGP and WSBK allow (and actively use) traction control, your argument that it is "for squids" seems moot. Unless you want to call all those guys squids?

If you don't realize what a terrible analogy this is, I'm not sure it's worth replying to your posts any more. Furthermore, it's not even as clear cut as you want to make it out to be, because they allow shoes (in running), all kinds of high-tech clothing and equipment (wet suits, archery, skis, snowboards, etc, etc).
  20. RMZMZM

RMZMZM Not adventurous Supporter

Oddometer:
    Somehow I have missed how the OP's question relates to anything in the article he is referencing.

The engineer dresses the way he wants to when he is on his own time (dime) pursuing his hobbies.

When working for BMW or playing on a racetrack, he dresses the way his employer or track owner (and their insurer) tells him to.

I see no conflict of interest or inconsistency in behavior.