Scott Harden School & Lower LC4 E Pegs

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by myblubeemer, Nov 3, 2005.

1. myblubeemer

myblubeemer MOA, IBA Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Serveral of us on Adv Rider were lucky enough to take the one day Scott Harden off road school. What a great opportuntiy! Scott started off with some classroom instruction and then took us out to real world, working on everything from bike setup, to "barrel" racing, to trail riding.

In the bike set up portion, he pointed out to me what I already kinda new. Even with 30mm risers and higher bars (Pro Taper Pastrana FMX) on my LC4 E, I still have to stretch too much to the bars while standing in the "correct" position (I am the token tall guy in the pic). Since I have gone about as high as I can on the top end with the risers and bars, he suggested lower pegs.

Herein lies the problem. I've searched high and low for a source of lower pegs on the LC4 E without much luck. If anynoe has any solutions or suggestions on how I can get at least an inch lower pegs, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,

Joel

[​IMG]
  2. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    A set of Fastways will lower you about 1/2" and provide a much larger, more stable platform from which to conduct business.
    I had to buy and modify a left footpeg braket from an SXC to install them on my 640 Adventure... but the additional cost was well worth it.
  3. Stobie

Stobie Mr. Motivated Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the same problem. I've put Emig underbar steering damper mounts on, along with the Pastrana FMX bars, and it's still not enough. Fastways are the next step, but it still may not be enough. If I raise the bars any more, I'll have to replace all the control cables.

For reference, I'm 6'4", but I don't have particularly long arms--the sleeves on a 46R jacket are long enough.
  4. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    creeper, did you have to do any grinding to get them to fit? there is a Fastways installation guide someone put together to download in the "other downloads" link in the index thread. that one included lots of grinding and supposedly sucks.

ISTR, somebody else mentioned there are a couple of variants on the Fastaways, perhaps they said adjustable or non-adjustable; and perhaps the non-adjustable ones required more grinding? of course this is from the dark recesses of my potato vodka addled brain... :scratch so i could be high. :D
  5. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    The right one was a bolt-on other than some light grinding to shorten the Fastway collar about .010".

The left requires the '04 625SXC footpeg mount and hardware store sourced allen bolts to mount it to the frame.
    You have to grind or mill a radius into the mount for clearance for the peg. You also need another right side peg pin, as the stock left side pin becomes too short for the new mount.
    Thats about it. A little grind, stare and compare, grind a bit more... about 1/2 hour for all of it.

C
  6. myblubeemer

Oddometer:
    I am 6'5" and wear a 46XL jacket. If I knew the 1/2" gain on the Fastways would do the trick, I would do it right away. When Scott stood me up on the bike and put me in position, it appeared that I needed at LEAST an 1", maybe a little more. I don't want to go to custom cables, mainly for the pain of replacement down the road. I may have to go with the 1/2" gain and be happy with that.
  7. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    1/2" is better than nothing... and it opens up your seated position too. The Fastways alone are worth the price of admission comparied to the iddy biddy stock pegs, even without the "lowboy" feature.
  8. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
  9. gaspipe

gaspipe 50 years in the saddle! Old School ADV

Oddometer:
    Joel,

Since the OE pegs are mild steel, it might be worth it to bring them to a machine shop and have them modified (cut and some additional material welded in) to lower them an inch. It will likely move them outward just a tad to properly brace them, but I don't think it'd be particularly expensive to do.

BTW, it was fun riding with ya (I'm the guy on the far left).

Bruce
  10. gaspipe

Oddometer:
    I love Fastways as much as the next guy, but the OE KTM rally pegs are nice for the price at ~$45 for the pair :dunno

But then again, I use Saran Wrap for rain gear. :lol3

Rally Foot Peg (5850304000090)

Rally Foot Peg (5850304100090)
  11. DC950

DC950 Microadventurer

Oddometer:
    no you don't - you use Piggly Wiggly bags.

I concur on the Rallye Pegs. I stand up a lot and have no issues.
  12. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    My reason for getting Fastways (And believe me, I thought about it for quite awhile) was that I'm a size 12.5 ultra-flat-foot. No arches at all.
    Having a laterally longer, but only marginally wider peg such as the KTM rally pieces, although a major improvement over stock, doesn't offer the fore and aft support that the Fastways do.
    My foot on the stock peg, or even the rallye peg, feels like an overcooked noodle drapped across the narrow edge of a fork. :D

I would recommend the Fastways to anyone that was long of foot, nonexistant of arch and long of leg, or wanting to stand deeper in the bike.
  13. gaspipe

Oddometer:
    :lol3

Piggly Wiggly bags are so yesterday. :rofl Saran Wrap is the shizzle.

BTW: Creeper - good point on the Fastways. I am a 10/5 EEE so the width is more of a help to me. The side bracket mod that Mack was onto from the SXC (aluminum bracket) changed that bastard LC4 peg over to the RFS style peg, didn't it? That made the Fastways a bolt up, didn't it?

Where's MP's index, gotta go see if that's in there. :scratch
  14. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    see discussion above :D
  15. myblubeemer

Oddometer:
    Hey Bruce, good to ride with you too! Wish I had followed you on the last trail loop on Sat! I'll keep working on the pegs situation until I get it right!
  16. myblubeemer

Oddometer:
    You make some good points Creeper. I have the Rally Pegs now, but I have a size 12 that could certainly benefit from a little wider pegs along with the 1/2" lower. If I can't figure out a way to modify the Rally Pegs, that looks like the best way to go.

Joel
  17. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Akchoolee, the first person I recall doing a Fastway install on an Adventure was Velocibiker. I'm sure someone, maybe Mack, did it before him... but Velo documented it.

As I recall, Velo said that it was a time consuming, and not worth the effort or expense... but as I said, I had about 1/2 hour in the whole thing.
    Of course, I have a few thousand bucks worth of porting tools in the shop, so removing a little aluminum is not too big a deal.

The '04 SXC mount does have to be clearanced for the Fastway peg casting around the backside of the bushing... otherwise, you can't get the mounting pin in.
    You also need a second, longer than the stock left, right side mounting pin... not for the peg, but for the SXC mount, which is wider across the clevis.

The way I see it, to mount any peg other than the KTM rallye pieces, you'd need the SXC mount... so it's more a matter of the additional peg cost than the mount cost.
    And as a good set of non-titanium aftermarket pegs run from $80 to $140 bucks, the Fastways, especially the F4 version @ $100 retail, is not so bad.

Pegs are such a personal thing... much like handlebar bends, grips and such, that I, and I'm sure you as well, would recommend to anyone to, when possible, try before you buy.
  18. meat popsicle

meat popsicle Ignostic

Oddometer:
    Booooo!!! Bow down to the Queen of Fastaways!!! Booooooo!!!
    [​IMG]

Is there an Amsoil peg set? Anyone a dealer? :ear
  19. myblubeemer

Oddometer:
    VERY HELPFUL!! Thanks Meat!
  20. creeper

creeper Still alive...

Oddometer:
    Yer high on pain dope again... ain't choo meat. :nod