F800GS Urine sample replaced w/ Rizoma

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by edfetz, Sep 5, 2009.

1. edfetz

edfetz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I don't know about you but I didn't like the way that big ugly front brake reservoir looked on the bars. Adding a gaurd to it makes it a bit better but the Rizoma billet res. looks better and is cheaper than some of the gaurds. I had heard a bit of talk about it on here, (that's how I knew to Google Rizoma) but couldn't find a good post about it.

I went with the 35mm CT027 in black from Desmo works. $71 plus shipping

http://www.desmoworks.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4_379&products_id=402

Its a beautifully made piece of Italian billet goodness. ( I had to laugh at the difference between Italian and German designs when they were side by
    side on the bench.) It comes with interchangeable outlets. I had to switch to the small one for use with the stock hose. Its machined for an Allen wrench in the end.

Installation was easy. The supplied bracket fits under the mirror. Take care to cover your bodywork in case you spill brake fluid. I unbolted the old reservoir first, clamped off the hose (needle nose vise grips w/ fuel hose over the jaws) and tilted it as the hose came off so I didn't even have to drain the fluid. I trimmed about a 1/4" off each end of the stock hose, it fit a bit neater after that. The two bolts for the front brake master will be too long after the Urine cup is gone. I cut mine down but Im sure you can find some shorter stainless allen heads at the hardware store ahead of time. Thread is 5mm x .8 Dump some fluid in the new cup and you're done. If Rizoma had a shorter mounting bracket might look a bit cleaner. Or if you're good, make a shorter one or modify theirs.

Its quite a bit smaller so watch your fluid level as the brake pads wear.

Attached Files:

Outfront2 likes this.
  2. edfetz

edfetz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    From the top:

Attached Files:

3. MoToad

MoToad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I remember the initial talk on this. I think "Bobble Head" was the term used. But now I don't look twice at it.
  4. Bushwhacker

Bushwhacker Dirt, Sweat & Gears

Oddometer:
    I used the original rubber washer and mounting bracket -

[​IMG]
    Outfront2 likes this.
  5. Gangplank

Gangplank Advenchaintourer

Oddometer:
    Need to get me one of those!. Cool....

One question though. How can it come in "clear"

6. BobD

BobD Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I believe "clear" would be the silver aluminum color, clear-coated. "Natural" might be a better description.
  7. rustynutz

rustynutz Useless sod

Oddometer:
    How? Do you have to take the cap off every time you want to check the level?
  8. Bushwhacker

Oddometer:
    The CT027 has a sight window. Some of the other models do not.
    Outfront2 likes this.
  9. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    without meaning to slag anyone at all, this bling over function thing is a lil surprising on this board -- 'course, I may be proving my naivety<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    (btw, I don't like the pee-cup on my Tiger, either, but you can't beat the ease of checking the fluid level)<o:p></o:p>
  10. edfetz

edfetz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You can call it bling, (No offense taken) which I guess it is. But its also much less likely to be wiped off the bars by a branch. Just wondering if the guard for the original is bling too? The original was just ridiculous to me. My buddies 1200GS has a hard mounted reservoir, Why the counter weighted version on the 800??
    Outfront2 likes this.
  11. Bushwhacker

Oddometer:
    I did the same thing when I had the Tiger plus the Pazzo levers on the Tiger -

[​IMG]
  12. Gangplank

Oddometer:

I don't think it is bling. I don't like the pee cup look at all. Just hate it bobbling around up there. For now I put a black wrist sweat-band over it - you know, like the ones chevy chase had on in Fletch. :freaky

It still bobbles but since it is all black its not as noticeable. I definitely liked the ones on my old BMW Dakar better. This looks like an easy solution if you don't like the urine sample.
    Outfront2 likes this.
  13. Singletrack_mind

Singletrack_mind Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I posted about this a while ago, my biggest beef with the bobble head was that it prevented me from unscrewing the right hand mirror when I reached a dirt stretch where I thought that might be prudent. You've got to loosen the control pod clamp bolts enough to let the reservoir on it's bracket move out of the way of the mirror stalk when it revolves as it's unscrewed. That's a lot of extra hassle.

I made a flat bracket for the stock reservoir that moves it out of the way. I retained the stock rubber grommet mount, but removed the counterweight, mostly because I needed the clearance to get the thing as low as possible.

I mention all this because the first poster shows a picture of the bracket he got with the Italian reservoir, and it mounts to the mirror stalk. That would be no good if you ever wanted to protect your mirrors by removing them.
  14. Gangplank

Oddometer:

That's weird. I didn't have to remove mine to get the mirrors off. Just used a wrench and removed them.

That said, I thought the same thing about the bracket from Rimonza or whatever they are called. Personally I'd find a way to keep the stock braket and just bold the alum container on there. :wink:
  15. Bushwhacker

Oddometer:
    Keeping the stock bracket was pretty straight forward -

[​IMG]
    Outfront2 likes this.
  16. AKTroy

AKTroy BE AWARE OF TRAINS

Oddometer:
    Just went to order it and they want 30 bucks to ship it to Alaska. WTF! :ddog
  17. Dead Eye Dan

Dead Eye Dan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I dumped in death valley and the bobble head mount bent over but did not break. At that point a stopped hating it as much as I saw the function of it. I bent it back when I got home.

This one looks much better. I wonder how it would stack up in a fall?
  18. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    The F800 depot sells a direct bolt-on OEM replacement for the fluid reservoir for $50. The reservoir becomes attached directly to the master cylinder in the lever, just like on the 1200GS.. but as mentioned in the above post, there is a reason it's mounted as a bubble head and not attached solidly.

I let Touratech rip me off on their brake reservoir cover, it's pretty solid, no bubble head and the fluid level is visible from the rider's side.
  19. whitham_wannabe

whitham_wannabe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have never even noticed mine bobbling around .... maybe I spend too much time looking where I am going? :dunno
  20. brownsr

brownsr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rizoma looks cool... but I had the dealer install the 1200GS fluid cup and it works just fine and a lot less expensive.