KLR Fly & Ride; Virginia to New Mexico

Discussion in 'Trials' started by AteamNM, Oct 23, 2012.

1. NMTrailboss

NMTrailboss Team Dead End

Oddometer:
    I guess that beats unloading your bike! :evil
  2. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    That`s one heavy doorstop!:rofl The luggage keeps getting taller and a few more bags here and there!:D
  3. grizzzly

grizzzly The Pre-Banned Version

Oddometer:
    looks like a fun trip
  4. AteamNM

AteamNM Wonna Be ADVrider Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes and no. I seem to pack things differently everyday. Each morning I go Eureka, this is perfect. Then I get on the bike and a running shoe is sticking me in the back or the top bag is too full. But by the time I get back to NM, I think I will have it figured out,.

Started out of Crozet Virginia like this.
    [​IMG]

More recent is this.
    [​IMG]

I packed the dry bags and had them with me. I was able to sort through airline baggage and other gear and mailed
    it all home. What I have now works pretty well. I could get rid of one bag but it allows for more room in the saddle bags and the panniers. My laptop and peripherals are in the shoe on the back (high & dry) but that box could hold a lot for camping stuff and clothes.

I have a stove, cooking gear, all the basic camping accessories as well. I have in one bag a tent, tarp (which can easily be strapped under the dry bags but I just don't like crap hanging out), also my sleeping pad, sleeping bag, a sheet, tent stakes. Second (red) bag has tent poles, chair, pillow, dity bag, extra clothes. Top bag has spare jacket, running shoes that at size 13 take up a lot of room. towel and hand towel and a spare dry bag. If I didn't have the second jacket and shoes I could be done with the third top bag but not heavy. Tools, camping gear, a bottle of oil, chain lube, spare parts, and stove fuel are in one saddle bag the other saddle bag has clothes and rain suit. Panniers contain gloves, cameras, misc. stuff, extra shirt, lots of warm stuff like balaclava, head band, neck gaiter, glove liners, bandannas, etc. Top number plate bag bag has flash lights, tools I use a lot including a small hammer, cable locks and shoe goo, tape, super glue (stuff I have purchased) to salvage my left trials boot sole.. I totally understand large side boxes that are very common since they are easy to pack, stay dry and could serve as a step to mount your bike. Maybe I can just rig some action packers on the side and top?
  5. NMTrailboss

Oddometer:
    I told you you would change your packing up multiple times throughout this trip! :deal

Seems you are getting things sorted out now and developing a routine. Time to just enjoy the ride!! :clap
  6. iBiker

iBiker ADV Pirate

Oddometer:
    West Virginia at the confluence of US Rt 50 & I-79
    :lurk

It's things like this that I dream of doing some day. I have logged a lot of miles this season but have yet to try a cross country trip like this.

Thank you so much for sharing and keep the good pics coming.

Most of all be careful and enjoy your journey!

:*sip*
  7. djones745

djones745 they call me lawndart for a reason...

Oddometer:
    Great Trip! :clap
  8. AteamNM

Oddometer:
    Wow and thank you. Stop dreaming and start planning. Don't die without memories in the bank.

Yes, it has been but not always easy. I have the triathlon or marathon spirit, push on, the end is a long ways off. Otherwise it has been bruuuuuupp for over 2000 miles now.

Shoe repair again.
    [​IMG]

The mood of the day.
    [​IMG]
    Another old abandoned factory. This picture captures the mood for the day.
    [​IMG]

I saw the black man and I saw fields. Yea some Niel Young was running though me. Mississippi delta bottom lands. Long straits interrupted with 90 degree turns and also lots of mud from tractors. As bad a wet leaves on twisties.
    [​IMG]

I can see clearly now the rain is gone.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I love maps
    [​IMG]

Americana, lives large across this great country.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Earned a night in a cheap room after a day of getting my ass kicked.
    [​IMG]
  9. NMTrailboss

Oddometer:
    Tony, I'm guessing you got the flat fixed or pushed the bike to a motel? What's the scoop? :ear
  10. AteamNM

Oddometer:
    OH YOUR A DAY AHEAD. Um yes, I have refuge. I will repair tomorrow and then I have actual work to do in town here. The tube came out of the rim and the push and ride to the room was crazy with the tube rolling around while I pushed and sometimes road Jo Jo. So many times I nearly dropped the bike, but never did. There were many options, many considerations. It felt awesome to lean the bike against a crappy motel wall, walk in with no shirt on, dripping in sweat, clothes, jackets and helmet hanging off my bike. Wasted, and the fat white trash chick took like 20 minutes to check me in. I pushed the bike backwards to my room and felt like I I finished Kona. Now to find a block or something to get the wheel off and get the show back on the road,.

The road goes on forever and the party never ends.
  11. grizzzly

Oddometer:
    If you walked in there with out your shirt on, that is probably the most excitement she has had in awhile………… you should lock your door and have an escape route planed :eek1
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

If you cant find a good block just lean the bike kickstand side up against a pole and tie it with the tire you want to change off of the ground
    [​IMG]
    if you are doing the rear tire be careful not to let the bike role forward off of the kick stand
    [​IMG]
  12. AteamNM

Oddometer:
    Hey Chris thanks for the idea. Curtis provided some great ideas as well. I ended up scouring the neighborhood for a bike stand. Stole a recycle box from a home and it worked out for a while.

[​IMG]

This was the problem.
    [​IMG]

I rode and pushed Jo Jo about a mile to the nearest motel. The most wore down flea bag Hindu Hilton
    white trash place I have stayed in since a national in Goldendale California.
    [​IMG]

Also replaced rear brake pads.
    [​IMG]

The heater/AC in the crack whore motel was awesome, but did not work.
    [​IMG]

Leon's Motorcycle Shop facilitated my needs.
    [​IMG]

Leon had a museum and a killer shop. This is the parts room and his office.
    [​IMG]

Leon's man castle
    [​IMG]

Leon has micro fish back to the 60's. He does not have internet and doesn't need it. Leon is old school, a gem
    and true American.
    [​IMG]
  13. _Magoo_

_Magoo_ master of disaster....

Oddometer:
    great pics, Tony!

Keep on keepin' on! :lol3
  14. zontar

zontar lawnhater

Oddometer:
    we need more Leons. roll on, buddy!
  15. Lesharoturbo

Lesharoturbo Nerdly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Really enjoying your report. This is what adventures are made of!!

When you get the time, can you tell me what brand the top box is? Will it fit a full face helmet?

Thanks

Bernie
  16. AteamNM

Oddometer:
    It will hold my big ass helmet. Made by ST Lunn? Rob (Lakerider) can tell you more but I had someone comment they have the same box (shoe) and it is pretty cheap. Holds my 17' laptop and a ton of other stuff high and dry.
  17. NMTrailboss

Oddometer:
    Tony, I am really enjoying this adventure and trip! I hope you are still enjoying the experience despite a few mishaps. That is just part of the game!

Leon seems to be the real deal! Love his store and glad he could help you get Jo Jo back on the road. Ride on!!! :clap
  18. lineaway

lineaway Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you hurry Tony, you might make our december event!!:lol3
  19. NMTrailboss

Oddometer:

:thumb

:lol3
  20. grizzzly

Oddometer: