Bavaria - no Austria today - the 3th

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by franken, Apr 9, 2007.

1. franken

franken Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

our 3th tour. This time we didn't get to the alps. This time we choose the real adventure. Not the easy to ride alpine passes, not the hairpins.
    This time we went to Munich.

Like always here is the gpx-file.
    View attachment 110841

To reach Munich the fastest is using the highway, but this is no fun. So first we went to lake Starnberg, passing the Lake Ostersee. Here some pics from the south-end of the lake

[​IMG]

The road is small and follows the cost-line. But it is very difficult to reach the lake - the most is private ground. (A lot of very rich people life in this area).

one more
    [​IMG]

parking
    [​IMG]

A lot of traffic on this easter-monday. We leave the lake after some km and take a small stop at the "Buchheim-Museum".

Entrance - protected by wild animals
    [​IMG]

close up
    [​IMG]

Next road to come will take us to Andechs. Short before you find this little lake.
    [​IMG]

On we go. If you follow the track - you reach the "holy mountain" of the bavarians. Kloster Andechs - an old monastery where the monks still brew their own beer.

The parking - they all don't drink and drive :-)
    [​IMG]

From the parking you have to work a bit to get your reward.
    look here

[​IMG]

Refreshed? Than go down to the lake Ammersee. It's only a few km's down to Herrsching. If you don't mind to share the rare space with tons of tourists on a warm nice weekend-day - here is how it looks like.

[​IMG]

and - something for your kids
    [​IMG]

so - out of Herrsching - now we come closer to Munich. For a very little while we take the "Autobahn", just to save a little time.
    First point we reach is still outside Muich, but it is a good thing to watch. Something from our "famous" history.

We are now at KZ-Dachau. Nazi Concentration Camp Memorial.
    and it looks like this.

[​IMG]

the main entrance
    [​IMG]

church and barraks
    [​IMG]

Monument
    [​IMG]

We didn't spend too much time here, because we wanted to show you more about Munich. So we went on and dived into the city. First stop was

Schloß Nymphenburg.
    [​IMG]

Funny thing - the parking is in the garden of the palace.
    The main building
    [​IMG]

local animals
    [​IMG]

the bike
    [​IMG]

And on we go -following the Navi, because i'm not too familar with riding in Munich. :-) - the track don't give you all highlights of Munich, but brings you close to some of them.

Next point - Olympia Stadium and BMW-Headquaters
    the futuristic building (was it in the 70's)
    [​IMG]

the same building with an "natural" aspect

[​IMG]

and the Olympic-TV-Tower - you can see it nearly from everythere - a good orientation-point.
    [​IMG]

Here is also the Olympia-Halle (good Concerts) and the BMW Museum.

Now we go deeper into the heart of the city. Next stop Köngisplatz. Looks like this.

[​IMG]

or was it Troja?
    [​IMG]

everybody enjoys the sun - The "Englischer Garten" Park is not far away from here.
    [​IMG]

On we go - we missed to stop at the "Stachus" and went on to Viktualienmarkt - the famous market-place in the heart of the town. (close to the Marienplatz).

Karl-Valentin-Brunnen (Karl Valentin was a famous comedian)
    [​IMG]

In Munich and Bavaria you will find strage trees. Some call it "Maibaum". This one is at the Viktualienmarkt.
    [​IMG]

Salut
    [​IMG]

Passing the Isartor (no stop) we reach the "Deutsches Museum". You will need a day or more to visit it.

Main entrance
    [​IMG]

Bismark - the old german "boss" protects our bike.
    [​IMG]

Leaving the museum and on we go on the track to the Munich Zoo Hellabrunn, which was also heavy crowded on a day like this.
    Time to leave the town. Through Grünwald we went south. When we left the City we took the road right down to Schäftlarn where you can find the next Monastery. Short before it, then you cross the river Isar is a ...

a?
    a beergarden! :-) Yeah. Stop the bike. Take a seat. Enjoy the sun and the food.
    the garden
    [​IMG]

the Isar
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

we had
    [​IMG]

it was that good
    [​IMG]

So time to go home. Passing the river. Heres the look to the Monastery.
    [​IMG]

Rest of the tour is easy. Some hairpins - Wolfratshausen - then following the river Loisach. Back home.

Hope you liked this little report.
    Have fun
    Andreas and Bettina
  2. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    You make travel and touring easy.. just sit back and let you do all the riding and picture taking! :jkam

Thanks for another great report and pics :thumb
  3. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    :thumb Thanks for sharing. It has been too many years since I have been in Munich.

Dave
  4. Ohno

Ohno moto-pirate

Oddometer:
    Nice report and great pictures. Makes me miss Germany. I have fond memories of Munich.
  5. Nick_A

Nick_A beady eyes

Oddometer:
    Me too. Thanks for the memories!
  6. vagt6

vagt6 Bit the Bullet

Oddometer:
    This is excellent as I'll be going to Munich in late May this year. Please post more photos if you can!

And, thanks for the super photos.
  7. MojaveGS

MojaveGS Loving it!

Oddometer:
    Digging in with McClaw's Div waiting for Jackson
    Thanks, I'll echo the other comments. Lots of fond memories of Bavaria.

Do you do requests?

How about a little trip to Oberammergauer?
  8. kejago

kejago Kev. Haute Savoie, France

Oddometer:
    Nice to see München again. Lived in Schwabing, right next to the Englisch Garten... and within sight of BMW. You should take a walk down the Isar at the top end of the English garden... but you may have to sensor some pics to make it ADV safe! :deal :wink:
  9. bavarian

bavarian bavarian

Oddometer:
    Nice pics. Grew up in Herrsching and lived there for 50 years. Still have two of my bikes at my mothers place there. The little lake before Andechs - Machtlfinger Weiher, fond memories as it was always the first little pond to freeze over and we used to play hockey there.
  10. franken

franken Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @ all: thank you for your kind comments - and don't worry - we will go on with reporting from this area during the year.
    This was our 3rd report. Think you all saw the others. -- always we will start them with "bavaria" :-) -- I'm not sure which option is better - put it all into one thread or each report his own. -- (you can give me advice)

It's a strange experience - to do reports from the area you life. Normaly you do reports from your holiday travels - all things close to you are "normal" - As my pseudo tells you - I'm born in Franconia, whitch is in North-bavaria. I life here in the south now since 5 years and i like the area much.

@vagt6: more pics - maybe when we made the next "city-adventure". End of May I'll be in Spain for a Bike Meeting in Tarifa. So :-( think we can't meet then you are here. - Anyway - think you will have a great time here.

@bavarian: A friend of mine now lifes in Herrsching - that's why I'm more often there. And thanks for the name of the little lake - never knew it before - but all the time i pass it i think - what a nice one.

@Kev: do you think this pics will be zensored? (if we think about the same pics - where you need a good tele? ;-) -- would be difficult to make this pics when i have Tina with me. ;-)

@MojaveGS: Last report was close to Oberammergau, but i think we can put it closer into one of the next ones.

@memories: maybe you will find the time some day for a visit. If I'm still here than - contact me.

Thank you
    Andreas + Bettina
  11. rauladv

rauladv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for a nice report.

Grose!
    Raul