DR350 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by leonphelps, May 16, 2007.

1. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is that wire under the headlight cowl. It is a great key on power source. I use it to run my heated grips. Yes I thought that it might be under speced to run heated stuff. But three years later it still works great. I do have an in line fuse jsut in case.
  2. Stretch67

Stretch67 Mad Scientist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Use that wire to trigger a relay, wired thusly:

[​IMG]

On my Tiger (R.I.P.) I had a relay that energized an entire fuse block (the lower one), to which I then connected various and sundry 'key-on' accessories (such as heated grips and 12-volt outlets).

[​IMG]
  3. nickgindy

nickgindy Lover of the KLR

Oddometer:
    Anyone know of an online manual?
  4. markk900

markk900 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice, though I suspect the trumpet had a little more oomph in the alternator department!

Mark
  5. Greg Bender

Greg Bender Long timer

Oddometer:
  6. Stretch67

Stretch67 Mad Scientist Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yeah, but with twin headlights, electric fuel pump and injectors, ECM, and electric fan, there wasn't a hell of a lot left over. I loved the bike, but for what it was, the alternator was lacking.
  7. Bonnie & Clyde

Bonnie & Clyde Wishing I was riding RTW

Oddometer:
    Gents who are in the know on this issue or otherwise just have insite. Ive got 3,600 original miles on my DR 350 it runs great. I have been thinking about making sure its ready for a multi day long trip such as BAJA. I know there is a circlip on the front sprocket that needs watching so it dosnt pop off. The other issue ive noticed is this clutch thrust washer / clutch drag issue. I havent noticed any clutch issues while riding mine. What should i be looking for and what king of miladge is this thrust washer become an issue? Should i just do the clutch mod before a 5 day ride down in BAJA? What about a spare CDI? Havent read much about a CDI failure issue on the DR but Ill ask. I have a big tank and LED head light valves checked and oil changed. Spare clutch and throttle cables all set. Thanks in advance

8. nickgindy

nickgindy Lover of the KLR

Oddometer:
  9. Royce Cochran

Royce Cochran was 2bold2getold

Oddometer:
    Sounds like you've got it set up pretty good. If you're not having clutch issues, not sure I'd go lookin for any. Check chain, sprockets, tires, tubes and carry spare tubes, patch kits, pumps, tools, plug and a few nuts and bolts. Wow, the more I think about it, the more I remember stuff I take. Here's a "short" partial list. Super Glue, JB weld, Stainless Wire, Lock Tite, various sizes of Zip Ties, Hose Clamps, Duct Tape, 3 ft fuel hose, Tow Rope, Latex Gloves, a couple of shop towels and paper towels. The locals down there are good at fixin stuff and most are very helpful, with the right approach. Have a good trip. Wish I could go.
  10. Teeeeeemu

Teeeeeemu Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is this http://i.imgur.com/Uk9Az.jpg the correct routing for the throttle cable? I mean where it curves to frame. I know its around the brake hose, I change it if it rubs.
    I ordered the cable last thrusday and it arrived today so 4 days, impressive!
  11. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    Don't watch it. Change it out. If you buy a new one, and compare it to the current one. you can tell if yours is streached out or not. If it is streached out, don't wait till it falls off to replace, jsut replace it. It's is a cheap part anyways.
  12. kobukan

kobukan almost gnarly

Oddometer:
    Based on your description of the bike I wouldn't hesitate to head off to Baja on it. These bikes really have very few issues.

I wouldn't worry about the clip on the front sprocket - wasn't aware it was an issue and I haven't had any problems in over 14k miles. I think some people who like to swap sprockets on the road carry an extra clip in case they lose one while changing sprockets - that's what I do.

The clutch thrust washer / clutch drag issue will show up as difficulty finding neutral. If you don't have any noticeable problems with the clutch don't worry about it - you're good to go and aren't likely to have any issues anytime soon, if ever.

CDI - don't worry about it, not an issue as far as I know. Of course anything can break, but . . . .

Spare cables are a good idea, but I managed to ride 50 miles without a clutch cable on mine once - these things shift pretty well without the clutch. Stop lights can be a problem though. :D

Looks like you've been on a few trips and probably know what else you need to bring. Have fun in Baja!
  13. Canadian FJR

Canadian FJR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  14. tntmo

tntmo Oops, I did it again.

Oddometer:
  15. Bonnie & Clyde

Oddometer:

I think it's cheap insurance got a part #?
  16. MrPulldown

MrPulldown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I found mine at the local ace hardware. Take yours in and look in all those little plastic bins/drawers. Find a match. About a buck fity each.
  17. Bonnie & Clyde

Oddometer:

Thanks
  18. djpreston

djpreston Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,

I'm looking at fitting an oil cooler to my '93 DR350S, any suggestions?

Which other bikes oil cooler would also work?

Thanks,
    Dale
  19. Greg Bender

Greg Bender Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Dale,

The original oil cooler is pretty difficult to source (and expensive from Suzuki). Outside that, you'll need to adapt your own. I've got a DR650 oil cooler and associated parts that I've been meaning to sell. Fab some brackets, hook up hoses, and you'll be good to go. If interested, send me a PM and I'll send you photos, etc.

Regards,

Gregory Bender
  20. Prest

Prest Adventurer

Oddometer: