SPOKANE Area Riders

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by PNW Buttercup, Aug 13, 2010.

1. DiamondLie

DiamondLie Banned

Oddometer:
    What do you recommend...a slingshot? Almost any center fire cartridge of 357 bore or larger with a very hard, non-expanding, flat nosed bullet will pierce a bears skull with direct /frontal (between the eyes) hits. From the side angle, a shot right at the bottom of the ear canal is instant death. These two shots will guarantee a dead bear, if you are using the correct ammo. The old MYTH that bullets will slide off a bear’s skull is pure hogwash, when using modern ammo featuring bullets that will not mushroom when fired out of a powerful handgun.
  2. lamotovita

lamotovita DAMN SNOWBIRD!

Oddometer:
    The best defense against bear attacks is the big lump between your ears. If that fails 12 gauge slugs would be my next choice.
    The good news is that you'll probably never need to demonstrate your very impressive marksmanship skills on a bear charging you at 30mph.
  3. Road2Adv

Road2Adv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Talk to the lady that gives tours at Gardner Caves north of Metalline Falls about the bear problems that they have had this summer, ask the security people at Boundary Dam. Bear problems are no joke.:huh:eek1:(:

I, with friends hunted bear with dogs while still legal, I have seen a bear take 5 shots from a 357 at close range and kept coming, a win 338 put a stop to that. Picking where you place your shots is great with beers after target practice, it not the same as having a bear running on adrenalin coming at you at 35 miles an hour. Been there done that, what a rush.:huh:eek1

Camping in remote places is the greatest camping anywhere. Bears have earned my respect. Food goes on rope over a tree branch min. of 10 feet up as does cooking pots and pans. I have seen many bears while camping......... I have had no problems with bears using safe practices.:1drink:1drink

Stay safe. Change the gas often.:muutt
  4. WU7X

WU7X The Old Fart Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. Alpha One Nine

Alpha One Nine Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So.......

Anyone do any riding lately?
  6. airheadbruce

airheadbruce Uncle Dumbshit Supporter

Oddometer:
    yep.
  7. smithe

smithe Long timer

Oddometer:
    I rode today, was running some errands and decided to ride out to long lake dam for no other reason than to open it up a bit. Took a wasp to the throat right between the bottom of my helmet and top of my jacket. Still not sure how it made it over my windshield, or survived the high speed impact. It then made its way down my shirt and nailed me 3-4 more times on my chest and stomach before I could kill it!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2
  8. Ladybug

Ladybug Bug Sister Super Moderator Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spokane Valley, WA (the dry side of the mountains)
    Rainbow007 and I headed N. this morning and made it as far as Merritt, BC :ricky If all goes well, tomorrow we'll find outselves in Prince George, BC.

The weather is fantastic :clap
  9. Alpha One Nine

Oddometer:
    I hate when that happens. :baldy
  10. Alpha One Nine

Oddometer:
    I did a hotel lounge gig in Merritt back in my musician days. I hope you are having a better time than I did. :lol3
  11. Kootenai Rider

Kootenai Rider Long timer

Oddometer:

I had a great Down Hill Mtn Biking Sess up at Schweitzer yesterday. 6 runs, probably just as many beers. Got a flat on my 2nd run on a trail called, of all things... "Pinch Flat"

After fixing that redeemed myself 3 more times on Pinch Flat and once on Bear Grass. I think I was the last person on the lift at about 4:55pm... :D

Took one digger over the bars on run #4. Thankfully those rocks stopped me. :1drink Shoulder is a little raw today. Probably should have been wearing my compression suit.
  12. Live2Ride

Live2Ride Not Famous

Oddometer:
    Yep, every day to work. I have put over 3k miles on the DRZ in the last 3 months. Its a lot better on the hwy now with the wind shield.
    [​IMG]
  13. moto-treks

moto-treks Back Home

Oddometer:
    400+ miles to get back from Stanley
  14. N-Id-Jim

N-Id-Jim Long timer

Oddometer:
    YES! Out to camp at Lake Roosevelt and to generally bomb around the country side between here and there.. wahoo!

No bears neither!:lol3
  15. Road2Adv

Road2Adv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    That is a great ride along the Columbia River/Lake Roosevelt, I moved near the lake as a wee lad in 1967. Great views, many places to pull off and stretch the legs.

With the many small camp grounds between Fort Spokane and Northport. You should not have a problem finding a camping spot until Labor Day weekend. Few are reporting any bear problems.:evil:rofl

If you see a faded red/Aztec pink? KLR in the Kettle Falls area that could be me.:wave:rayof Enjoy.

Ride safe, change the gas often.
  16. DiamondLie

DiamondLie Banned

Oddometer:
    Heisenberg would be proud...

[​IMG]
  17. XR4EVER

XR4EVER 919 excuses to ride!

Oddometer:
    I think it started out as "Aztec red" and is now an "Aztec pink" KLR, not a pink Aztec! Nice reference though.
  18. DiamondLie

DiamondLie Banned

Oddometer:
    Lol... You're probably right. Too bad. You just don't see many of the venerable Pontiac Aztec's out there any more. That I thought this one was pink only added to the intrigue. Guess I've been watching way too much Breaking Bad lately. :lol3
  19. Alpha One Nine

Oddometer:
    I have never seen it. I guess I'll need to queue up the entire series on Netflix so I too will "get it". :huh
  20. DiamondLie

DiamondLie Banned

Oddometer:
    That's how we did it, Rick. Once we were hooked (just a couple of episodes) we were watching sometimes 5-6 episodes a day. Didn't take long to get through the 5 seasons that way. The final season episodes are playing right now on AMC so you may want to record them on the DVR if you have one so you are ready to go all the way as Netflix craps out after season 4 if I recall right.

One of the best TV shows I have ever watched and I didn't want to like it going in.