South Flatistan

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by Eickey, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Fener6

Fener6 The Container Man

Oddometer:
    Any recommendations on service/repair shops (or people) around pompano beach?

I need front brake service, air keeps coming out when I bleed it.
  2. SignalX

SignalX Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There is a lot around Pompano. I recommend Apex Racing Services. http://apexraceservices.com

Tim Hunt there is an experienced wrench and rider, easy to work with, very customer service oriented.
  3. Fener6

Fener6 The Container Man

Oddometer:
    Thanks, that was going to be one of the first places I call, they open at 9am.
  4. SignalX

SignalX Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just finished a ride from WPB to St. Augustine, went up A1A. There were some nice roads, no rain, but hot as hell. Definitely want more curves. Thinking about trying US27 north to Sebring, anyone do that?
  5. astrolump

astrolump Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    all the time...not really any curves but a nice enough ride...
  6. desmo

desmo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Watch South Bay!! Big speed trap!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  7. Ginger Beard

Ginger Beard Instagram @motopossum Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    When are you headed that way? there are some very enjoyable routes through that area that will keep you off of us 27 for the most part.
  8. SignalX

SignalX Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just did it. I took 710 to 98 to US27N to get to Sebring from West Palm. Then on the way back I took US27S to 80E.

Any other road suggestions is appreciated, I am on a sport tourer though so no off road for me.
  9. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    Man, we need to get you off of the super slab! if I have time when I get home tonight I will put a map together in Google and send it to you.

did you do the ride as a day trip or an over nighter?
  10. SignalX

SignalX Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I did this as a day trip. I would love to day trip around 200-250mi, loops or whatever that return me to Palm Beach County.

I did A1A to St. Augustine, will probably do A1A to Key West (those are multi-day trips, not because it takes so long to get there, but just because I want to spend a few days there).

I plan to do about 10hour to get to Asheville, NC............a lot of that may be slab, but getting there faster will allow me to enjoy NC more. If someone has a route out of Flatistan that is good for going to NC or TN please let me know.
  11. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:

Damn , you are a glutton for punishment huh? :lol3 While that trip is totally doable as a day ride (using interstates of course) it sure as shit isn't any fun.

Here's a nice route that will get you to Frostproof. There are some fun roads to ride all around this area with actual elevation change. :eek1
  12. SignalX

SignalX Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ginger beard, thanks a lot for posting that! I need to figure out a way to get that route onto my Garmin GPS. I have not used the computer tools for doing that much I know Garmin has software where I could at least re-create the route and load it. Looks like some interesting roads.
  13. Mambo Danny

Mambo Danny I cannot abide.

Oddometer:
    That looks like just about as nice of a road ride as one could have here in south Florida. of course... one has to escape south Florida to have that nice ride :D

Thanks as well, Ginger. I may use it if I don't move out of here.
  14. Josh Leyburn

Josh Leyburn Shepherd of Cats

Oddometer:
    Im thinking of riding over to collier county and doing janes scenic drive and a few other roads around the state parks this weekend. Can that be with street tires? I have heard there are some areas on those roads that jeeps have trouble with.
  15. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    SignalX, you are quite welcome. if you can squeeze in enough time to make it up near the Frostproof area do it. it really is worth the trip. Plenty of hills and curves all around there and there's very little traffic.

Mambo, I feel your pain. Can't wait to get out of SFL! Good luck with your escape.
  16. Ginger Beard

Oddometer:
    Regarding Jane's, I was out there last weekend and the road is pretty torn up with some patches of slick mud here and there. if you are very comfortable riding off road then it is doable on a street bike with street tires. If not, skip it. for the most part it is a hard packed dirt road but it is not heavily maintained. plenty of large pot holes to keep you on your toes as well as a couple of downed trees..
  17. Luke wl.

Luke wl. Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Riding my HD from the keys up to Asheville in a few weeks... Once I am north in Georgia I know some good roads but am at a loss from the keys to about atlanta. I have to days to make it up and was looking for some suggestions of non highway/slightly scenic routes to take?
  18. Josh Leyburn

Oddometer:
    A1A or US1 make a fairly scenic route up the east coast of florida, If you go that way another nice but short road is S Indian River drive between Stuart and FT Pierce.
  19. Josh Leyburn

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info, It will go on the list of roads to try after new rubber is installed. Im kind of new to off road so it doesnt take much to make me fall over.:lol3
  20. jpr

jpr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would suggest you plan everything through state roads.

Old Cutler Rd is a nice road to take from Florida City to Coral Gables then you can take some state road that take you to the start of the route on post #5551 of this thread??