KLR 650 Modifications

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by VascoMerlin, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Wansfel

Wansfel I'm not lost! The world is just a bit misplaced.

Oddometer:
    Was think along those lines....time to add a pair or more of highly inefficient driving lights and switch them on when the volts are too high on the new volt meter. :evil
  2. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:
    I LOVE this place . . . . thanks fellers!
  3. Jettn Jim

Jettn Jim This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer:
    NE PA Some... PNW Some... On HIGH ADVENTURE Most!
    As said before a nice Mosfet R/R will even things out very nice. :thumb
  4. Asatrur

Asatrur KLR adv rider

Oddometer:
    I am in the market for a skid plate and other things and came across this one for a good price and this, but as usual poking around for other things I came across this. The second item uses a skid plate and engine guard that seem to be one level down than the first items, which makes a little nervous, as are they the same caliber parts?
    My long winded question is has anyone used either of these items from HT?
    Thanks,
    Asa
  5. 8lives

8lives WTF, in Cannabis we trust.

Oddometer:
    I got the HT plate,and guards they fit my Gen1 well,if I had to do it over I think I would go for a big natural color IMS tank(so you can see your fuel level)and the HT skid plate,the tank really protects and you get extra gas,but I'm still very happy with my HT stuff.
  6. RandoCommando

RandoCommando Wannabe

Oddometer:
    I use these
    http://www.happy-trail.com/KLR650/PDNerf-KLR650A.aspx
    and got it as a package deal with a skid plate.
    They don't have the skid plate I bought as they upgraded to this
    http://www.happy-trail.com/KLR650/KLR650_Skid_Plate.aspx

I had a get off (low sided) last year at Laurel Fork and broke my leg.
    The PDNerf bars did the job protecting my plastic, radiator and engine.
    The highway pegs also did their job, but got bent in the process.
    I only had to replace the highway pegs and I was good to go.
    I'm pleased with the Happy Trails stuff.
    See if you can get them to give you a package deal.

And I don't believe this provides enough protection in my opinion (especially for the plastics as it provides none)
    http://www.happy-trail.com/KLR650A/EG2-Rad-Res-Skid-Special-KLR650A.aspx
    I would suggest the PDNerf bars over this.

EDIT: Here is the older skid plate that I got with my package deal http://www.happy-trail.com/KAW-KLR650/Richochet-All-Years-Skid-Plate-KLR650.aspx
  7. XDragRacer

XDragRacer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    PD nerfs, engine guard/highway pegs, skid plate; Generation 1. Effective protection in a crash, in my experience. Accepting the fact these may be SACRIFICIAL components, giving their all to protect radiator/tank/plastics, HT may offer some price consideration for replacement parts.

Nerf bags (extra-cost accessory) work very well; handy and accessible for on-board hardware, or could be stuffed with clothing, etc., for a trip.

Highway pegs? To each his own; I'm not a particular fan, feel some vigilance and reaction time may be lost while using the footrests. However, they enable me to fit in when I ride with my Harley friends! :rofl

HT stands behind its products, provides excellent customer support. And, produces abominable printed/illustrated instructions, unfortunately!

If you go PD nerfs on a Generation 1; installation tip: Insert upper bolt for LEFT nerf from RIGHT side of frame; then, you need only remove one 10 mm nut to fold the nerf away from the radiator cap for access.
  8. 8lives

Oddometer:
    Ya last 500 mile day I did I used the highway pegs allows a person to change position,but otherwise the pegs are usually folded.Good idea on the nut on the radiator side.
  9. sandalscout

sandalscout blah blah blah

Oddometer:
    They must be improving this! I recently purchased the new skid plate from them, http://www.happy-trail.com/KLR650/KLR650_Skid_Plate.aspx, the first HT made product I've bought. The instructions were very clear, detailed and had good pictures with them.

I cannot comment on the older skid plate designs, but the new one is GREAT. It's beefy, looks good, and clean. Lots of protection for the water pump, doo-adjustment port, etc. I am really happy with it.
  10. bomber60015

bomber60015 Hold fast Supporter

Oddometer:

I believe I'll go this route (pouring yet more money into my cheap dualsport scoot ;-} )

Any suggestion for a close to plug and play unit?
  11. 8lives

Oddometer:
    My skid plate is older version and I was gonna notch it for the Doo,but its easy enough to take it off when I do an oil change and Doo adjustment,gives me a chance to check stuff out under the bike,4 fasteners and its off.I hear all kinds of stuff banging the skid plate when Im off reading and glad it's there.
  12. XDragRacer

Oddometer:
    Good news; glad to know of it! :clap
  13. Skowinski

Skowinski opposable thumbs

Oddometer:
    I've got the Happy Trails PD nerf bars. I don't think the protection can be beat, but the need to loosen and fold out the left side to access the radiator cap bugs me. Mine don't fit exactly right, never did from new, and must be pulled, pushed, and cussed at to get them on.

I'm wondering if anyone has had theirs modified by a welder to allow access to the radiator cap without loosening and moving the left side?
  14. XDragRacer

Oddometer:
    No, but . . . the trick of inserting the left nerf bolt from the RIGHT side of the frame permits easily folding the nerf away, for radiator cap access, after removing only a 10 mm nut. With the nut removed, I find the nerf clear to fold away outward; YMMV!

Left-side nerf, attached at two points:

[​IMG]

Upper attachment, 10 mm nut on bolt inserted from right (radiator) side; radiator cap shown at right (incidentally, fastener used also for frame ground of headlight relay harness):

[​IMG]

Lower attachment; nerf, when freed from the surly bonds of the 10 mm nut shown above, folds outward, for radiator cap access:

[​IMG]
  15. Jettn Jim

Jettn Jim This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer:
    NE PA Some... PNW Some... On HIGH ADVENTURE Most!
    Yup... :D Jack at Roadstercycle!!! Helluva guy, if your having probs just call him and he'll do a tech session from where ever he is. (Including on vacation! :lol3)
    Here's the link:

http://roadstercycle.com/

Put one in 25-30,000mi ago and have been EXTREMELY pleased. :1drink

Peace,
    Jim
  16. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    When I shipped the windshield back to Parabellum I also cut a piece of old shelving and started hitting it with a hammer. Yesterday I received the PayPal refund for the Parabellum and today I took a test ride of Wing version 3.0.

For me the fairing without a windshield can still generate some turbulent wind. This is as quiet as standing.

[​IMG]

You'll notice that it hangs over the front to catch the air coming up the fairing and it curves to about level.

[​IMG]

I should have a 2-thousand-plus mile test soon.
  17. beemerjim

beemerjim Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Grinnin

Interesting looking unit. Where does all the air go? can you feel it on your chest?
    I have am MRA vario shield on a r1150r and it has the wind channeling effect,-it sends the air over my head.
    Nice job for a guy banging on a shelf with a hammer!
    I've got a tall shield on my '06, and take it off in the warm weather to cut down on the turbulence, but, as you say it's not completely quiet.

JIm
  18. Aprilia

Aprilia Long timer

Oddometer:
    www.easternbeaver.com makes adding a Mosfet about as plug n play as you can get. Mosfets are found all over ebay. I have 2010 BMW S1000rr on mine I picked up for $50.
  19. Wansfel

Wansfel I'm not lost! The world is just a bit misplaced.

Oddometer:

How about one of these along with one of these? Maybe a mod project for next winter.
  20. Grinnin

Grinnin Forever N00b Supporter

Oddometer:
    Definitely feel it on my chest. The pressure on my chest doesn't feel different from riding with nothing mounted on the fairing. I'm used to that. I've tried 5 windshields on 4 bikes, but all have made helmet turbulence. I hope to get out today to get photos with actual focus to replace the ones above.